BYU's Offense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
JayDogg
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU's Offense

Post by JayDogg »

Go Fast Punt Hard does not work at BYU. That type offenses works at schools that have depth and speed, something BYU has neither. Perhaps it does at Oregon (it pays to have the Nike CEO among your alumni) but not here.

Also, there is a symbiotic (love saying that word "ssssyyymbiotic". feel like such a nerd when I do so) relationship between the offense and the defense. Slow, methodical offenses give time for the defense to rest. Even if the offense goes 3 and out, they still maximized their time on the playing field and thus allowed the defense to maximize thier rest time. However, this quick offense that Anae is trying to run gives the D no time to rest. That is bad for our Defense, because traditionally our D has been the team's weak link. That is one more reason why the Go Fast Punt Hard offense needs to go fast into the toilet.

We need to replace it with a simplistic offense that requires hard work and execution in order for it to be successful. I remember watching a video about the history of BYU football; and a former player said that the team only ran about 5 passing plays, but they ran them from so many different formations that it fooled the opposing defense. This was of course a player from the LaVell heydays when BYU was destroying everyone.

That is the type of offense we need to go back to. Slow and methodical, and simplistic. We rarely, if ever , recruit 5 or 4 star players, but we do recruit blue collar, hard working, attention to detail, type players. We need to run an offense that caters to those strengths, not this gimmicky crap Anae is trying to run.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU's Offense

Post by Brayden Green »

The offense would work if Anae knew how to evaluate his players, b UT he doesnt. What is the number one most important thing in a hurry up offense? An offensive line that is both skilled enough, and fit enough to stay on the field. It does you zero good to do a "fast" offense when you are subbing on 3 out 5 plays. Anytime you sub, the offense has to allow the defense to substitute, and the red stands over the ball.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

The number one must important skill for any offense is an accurate and efficient quarterback.

Granted a good offensive line can help a QB feel comfortable so they can do that. But if you don't have good QB nothing else matters.

BYU hasn't had a QB who can do that consistently in over half a decade.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote: Granted a good offensive line can help a QB feel comfortable so they can do that. But if you don't have good QB nothing else matters.
Soooo. which offensive line has been mediocre from the last decade who went on to win a national championship? I can pick a handful of QBs who were "ok" with great lines though from the same group.

McCarron, average - a lot like CS
Tim Tebow?
Jamarcus Russel?
Vince Young?
Matt Leinhart?

I think you're downplaying the importance of the O-line on a "passing QB".

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote: Granted a good offensive line can help a QB feel comfortable so they can do that. But if you don't have good QB nothing else matters.
Soooo. which offensive line has been mediocre from the last decade who went on to win a national championship? I can pick a handful of QBs who were "ok" with great lines though from the same group.

Tim Tebow?
Jamarcus Russel?
Vince Young?
Matt Leinhart?

Yup. Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, the list goes on aND on.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:

Tim Tebow?
Jamarcus Russel?
Vince Young?
Matt Leinhart?

I'm not talking about a "passing" QB. I'm talking about an accurate and efficient.

AJ McCarron was #8 in PER in 2013, #1 in 2012, and #26 in 2011 (at 147).
Tim Tebow was #1 in PER in 2009, #4 in 2008 and #2 in 2007.
Jamarcus Russell finished #3 in PER in 2006. Vince Young was #3 in PER in 2005. Matt Leinart was #8 in PER in 2005 and #7 in 2004.

ALL of the guys you listed were accurate and efficient. BYU hasn't had anyone anywhere close to those guys in terms of performance.

Instead we've been stuck with QB after QB who misses routine throws that BYU QBs should be making.

(8.4x
..................ATT
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

And my point was they all had much better than average o-lines which helped their stats tremendously. hence going to the NFL and becoming average again.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think it's easier to find one guy than five. I think the OL has been more than sufficient this year to allow a QB to have a good enough running game and to be accurate and efficient with the football - and our QBs haven't with consistency.

I just don't think we haven't had a good enough QB the last five years.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:I think it's easier to find one guy than five. I think the OL has been more than sufficient this year to allow a QB to have a good enough running game and to be accurate and efficient with the football - and our QBs haven't with consistency.

Spiff - did you intend to have both "don't" and "haven't" in your last sentence?

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:I think it's easier to find one guy than five. I think the OL has been more than sufficient this year to allow a QB to have a good enough running game and to be accurate and efficient with the football - and our QBs haven't with consistency.

You need to focus more on what happens before the throw, and not after. Our quarterbacks rarely have even the bare minimum of time to set and throw. There is almost always someone in the backfield almost immediately. Then watch the other teams qb. No matter how bad their qb is, they can almost always beat their season per, because we have almost zero pass rush.