End of Regular Season Coaches Poll results

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

End of Regular Season Coaches Poll results

Post by hawkwing »

kiwibacon
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: End of Regular Season Coaches Poll results

Post by kiwibacon »

Some very interesting insights into some of the coaching picks. One oddball example: Gary Anderson, former UofU defense coordinator now Utah State HC, has UofU unranked in his poll but does have Middle Tennessee State in at #25. :skeptic: At least he voted BYU in at 11.

There are many irregularities out there. One reason why AP should be used and not coaches. Ignorant question...Why did they stop using the AP for the BCS? I have forgotten. Sure is a head scratcher why they think the Coaches poll is acceptable and has no bias.

wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

So Wazzu's coach has us at 23rd..... someone fire that guy ;)

GO COUGARS!!!
wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

kiwibacon wrote:Some very interesting insights into some of the coaching picks. One oddball example: Gary Anderson, former UofU defense coordinator now Utah State HC, has UofU unranked in his poll but does have Middle Tennessee State in at #25. :skeptic: At least he voted BYU in at 11.

There are many irregularities out there. One reason why AP should be used and not coaches. Ignorant question...Why did they stop using the AP for the BCS? I have forgotten. Sure is a head scratcher why they think the Coaches poll is acceptable and has no bias.
IIRC.... the AP didn't like that their poll was used in the BCS formula without their consent and asked to have it pulled from the formula. I agree with you that the AP would probably be a more level measurement.

GO COUGARS!!!
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Wow! Gary Anderson didn't rank the Utes in the Top 25, but had Troy and Central Michigan? Isn't that interesting?
Last edited by EM_Puma on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

EM_Puma wrote:Wow! Gary Anderson didn't rank the Utes in the Top 25, but had Troy and MIddle TN? Isn't that interesting?
Is there some bad blood? Really I am naive on this one. I didn't look where he has Boise, is he maybe playing the part of a conference homer? That one really just stood out on a "local" level considering the three schools in the state of Utah.

EDIT---Ok, yeah maybe he is being a conference homer considering he put BSU at #3 and TCU at #4 but still to not rank Utah???...and to have BYU higher than most other voters? Is he a closet Cougar fan? 8)

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

I'm glad to see progress being made by nonBCS teams in the vote. I don't think there is a question of if a nonBCS team plays for the championship, but when. It's all the more important that the TCU-BSU game is successful (no empty seats and decent ratings) to show the college football world that a nonBCS team can carry a big game

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

mormonrasta wrote:I'm glad to see progress being made by nonBCS teams in the vote. I don't think there is a question of if a nonBCS team plays for the championship, but when. It's all the more important that the TCU-BSU game is successful (no empty seats and decent ratings) to show the college football world that a nonBCS team can carry a big game
That's pretty sad that butts in the seat do determine a national championship.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Now you want to talk about someone "like unto Bronco" that really has integrity--BSU's Chris Petersen. The guy goes out and lists TCU one spot above his team. That's incredible. I knew I liked that guy and I have ever since I sent him an email and he actually answered. This was before he was head coach, but classy guy just the same.

What can you say about Gary Patterson putting 8-5 Clemson as #25 in his poll or UNC's Butch Davis being the only person to give his team any votes. Mike Leach put his TT team at #20? Yea, this poll is a valid reflection on reality.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Air Force's head coach, Troy Calhoun, voted Alabama #1, FLORIDA #2, and TCU #4... :bug:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars