Pitta and George in the NFL Draft

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Pitta and George in the NFL Draft

Post by Lawboy »

If PItta was as physical as George, he would have made more plays v. TCU and Utah. Both teams took him out with physical play. And on the GW TD catch George made, he did it because he shook off Sylvester and split a double team. Fact is, in the NFL, TE's rarely get double teamed, so that bodes well for both. But George is the more physical guy, the better run blocker, so I see him having the better shot with an NFL offense, unless Pitta really works on that aspect of his game. And I think that is what Chad Lewis saw as well.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Pitta and George in the NFL Draft

Post by snoscythe »

Jay Drew had some insights from Chad Lewis today on Dennis Pitta:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_13962525
http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php

The NFL relevant comments from Lewis:

On his time working with the TEs last summer: "“They already had a strong base, a great foundation. They were great players. So I was working with them with an NFL perspective in mind. I was showing them just small things that they could do to improve.
So we would work on those small things -- route running, separate points in your route, releasing -- so they were real small, fine-tuning type drills that we were working on.”
Lewis said that a lot of BYU fans think Pitta is not a great blocker, but that is just not true.
“Dennis has already demonstrated in games, a great ability to block. He’s strong, he’s tough, he’s physical. He has been very well coached by Robert Anae, who is a tough, physical-minded coach.
“I have watched him block in games, and I think he is a great blocker. In fact, he is much further along in the blocking game than I was in college. So yes, blocking in the NFL is hugely important. I can’t stress that enough. And Dennis has what it takes to be a great all-around tight end.

"“There’s no question that Dennis will play in the NFL,” Lewis said. “He’s even good enough to be a high draft pick."