Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

Post by urroner »

Beer goggles? Are those the thing that make ugly women look absolutely stunningly pulchritudinous?

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
ltpwfdcm
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by ltpwfdcm »

Thanks for visually illustrating my earlier point urroner. I need to go wash my eyes with acid now to get that image out of my head...

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

craigoscarson wrote:BYU sports is going nowhere. In fact, BYU sports is the most visible arm of the church.
Which is the real problem with firing off in front of the media about how you "hate" someone/anyone. Just can't do that if you are the most visible arm of the church.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byutx wrote:The only real reason sports continue at BYU is because of the good will of the BYU name and the recognition it brings the church. If the brethren were to think that sports did more harm than good, sports would be gone in a second. Period.
I'm afraid we both agree on this byutx. And I'll support (after a little murmuring) that decision if it happens.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

KYCoug wrote:
byutx wrote:The only real reason sports continue at BYU is because of the good will of the BYU name and the recognition it brings the church. If the brethren were to think that sports did more harm than good, sports would be gone in a second. Period.
If they are going to go to that extreme, maybe they should consider taking the basketball goals out of the church buildings. I've seen some pretty contentious basketball games over the years.

Go BYU Athletics!
L Hatton
Louisville KY
Although they haven't gone that far, I know a lot of stakes have eliminated their tournaments because of these contentious games.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

craigoscarson wrote:Speculate all you want, it's just a waste of good brain cells.
Use 'em or lose 'em. You should know that Craigo. ;)

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

jonnylingo wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
Mithrandir wrote:I feel much better after hearing everyone's take on this. I hope my gut reaction (that this can't possibly be true) is correct.

I don't mean to be over dramatic, but I can't imagine BYU without it's sports programs. And I don't know what I'd do if BYU football were to go away. :~(

Regardless, here's to doing our part to make the rivalry more civil. While I love that Max spoke his mind (I've said as much on this board), I'm suddenly all about keeping it all above board. I have no interest in losing cougar football.
Once again, that is not how inspiration works. There is no kneejerk in inspiration. BYU could just as easily lose their sports program after the entire stadium stops to sing kumbaya in the pregame, BYU accidentally discovers the cure for AIDS while tripping over the goal line (for the 10th time) in the next Holy War; after which KWhitt and Bronco hold hands at the 50 yard line and 60,000 people sing "we thank thee o God for a prophet."

Remember, these general authorities for the most part were very very successful physicians, attornies, business men etc. They are not men of kneejerk reaction. If they saw a problem with a particular program or issue, they would address the particular issue; not cut off the entire arm in spite of a hangnail. It's preposterous to me to think that these men are so short sighted that they don't know how to make lemonade from lemons... and that they would prefer just to set the entire lemon orchard on fire...
They didn't get where they are in life by being short sighted and kneejerk thinkers.
Well, I think you are missing the point. If the brethren had been considering getting rid of it for years, than this would not be a kneejerk reaction. It would be just one more incident that convinces them that this is the direction they should go.

Not saying i buy into that or not, just didn't think you were getting the point being made. BYU sports will stick around as long as they are helping the mission of the church. if they do the opposite i can see them getting chopped in a heartbeat. That is why incidents that happened during the crowten years and with max are not things that we want to see if we love byu sports.

i still have max's back, but i can see why the church would have a problem with it.

what a shame it would be. it would be like ripping your heart out to have that happen. I don't see it happening over max's comments but i can see a set of circumstances where it might seriously be considered.
What indication does anyone have that the church has any interest in getting rid of the sports program, that they've considered this for years, or that they're up in arms about one kids comments?

Nothing but speculation and assumption.

Wake me up when they have a press conference (it'll be a long nap, trust me)
This will be forgotten soon by all but diehard BYU or Utah sportsfans. It's a non-issue.

Thank goodness the general authorities are long range thinkers, capable of forgiving the folly of a few young emotional people.

We could use a few more J Golden Kimballs right now; if in fact they're taking this small incident so seriously. It's a small issue.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

declocoug wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Speculate all you want, it's just a waste of good brain cells.
Use 'em or lose 'em. You should know that Craigo. ;)

Try as you might; there are many brain cells that never get used. For some, more than others. ;) :munch:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

craigoscarson wrote: We could use a few more J Golden Kimballs right now; if in fact they're taking this small incident so seriously. It's a small issue.
Says the guy who doesn't have to deal with the migraine of an issue this is becoming every year. :P

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

New Rumor:

I was at the U campus late last night taking delivery of the Beehive Boot when I saw LaVell Edwards walk into the Mariott Library. I was curious as to what in the heck he was doing on the enemy's campus. So I followed him as he went into the basement. He came to a blank brick wall and knocked twice on a blue tinted brick that seemed strangely out of place. A secret door opened in the wall and LaVell walked through into a long dark hallway. I waited until the coast was clear and followed behind.

When I got to the end of the dark hallway I peered around the corner and was surprised to see the individuals LaVell was talking to. Kneeling before LaVell was the U president Michael Young with Kyle Whittingham, Kalani Satake, and Aaron Roderick. Due to national security issues, I can't disclose all of what I overheard. But LaVell thanked them for their bravery for implanting themselves at the U as the Cougar Nation sleeper cell. He said the time had come for them to accomplish their end game. Next season they will strategically make questionable play calls that will cause them to lose every game. He congratulated them on setting the whole plan up to avoid suspicion by calling triple reverses, having Smithson throw passes, making a quarterback change when the team was 6-1, calling onsides kicks when up by 40, etc. LaVell told them to be on the lookout during the bowl game for the secret signal that would signal the plan of destruction to begin early with an embarassing loss to the sixth place pac 10 team.

The rest of what they talked about would blow your mind, but like I said national security issues will preclude me from sharing. However, the words Atlantis, Cold Fusion, and Area 51 were mentioned...