Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byutx
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

Post by byutx »

The only real reason sports continue at BYU is because of the good will of the BYU name and the recognition it brings the church. If the brethren were to think that sports did more harm than good, sports would be gone in a second. Period.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

byutx wrote:I know FOR A FACT that such a meeting went down and that the lives of university officials, including general counsel, has been completely hectic since Saturday night. One of my law classes had to be rescheduled to allow for meetings with BYU attorneys. I can't say what was discussed (because I wasn't told and I don't know).
So Max makes a stupid comment, some lady gets accidentally elbowed in the face - and the church is having a panic attack? Meanwhile, children and families around the world starve, while we throw a temper tantrum because our "image" was hurt. Sad.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

byutx wrote:The only real reason sports continue at BYU is because of the good will of the BYU name and the recognition it brings the church. If the brethren were to think that sports did more harm than good, sports would be gone in a second. Period.
If they are going to go to that extreme, maybe they should consider taking the basketball goals out of the church buildings. I've seen some pretty contentious basketball games over the years.

Go BYU Athletics!
L Hatton
Louisville KY

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

A woman was shot in a church parking lot last year in Utah Valley (my good friend, Dusty Kawai, defended the accused) ... so I suppose we should do away with parking lots at church now...

People have allergic reactions to life saving medications, so I suppose we should just get rid of antibiotics...

Those arguments are as ridiculous as the kneejerk reaction to the BYU/Utah game. The worst thing anyone could do is make a mountain out of a molehill; including spreading bs rumors like this.

In my entire life, I can't think of a single earth shattering knee jerk reaction that the brethren have made as a result of one members actions. This is not going to be the 1st. Speculate all you want, it's just a waste of good brain cells.
Last edited by craigoscarson on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mithrandir
Recruit

Post by Mithrandir »

I feel much better after hearing everyone's take on this. I hope my gut reaction (that this can't possibly be true) is correct.

I don't mean to be over dramatic, but I can't imagine BYU without it's sports programs. And I don't know what I'd do if BYU football were to go away. :~(

Regardless, here's to doing our part to make the rivalry more civil. While I love that Max spoke his mind (I've said as much on this board), I'm suddenly all about keeping it all above board. I have no interest in losing cougar football.

"There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.”
makulit
Recruit

Post by makulit »

ABYUFAN wrote:I can confirm that there was a "high level meeting" However, that "high level meeting" did not discuss discontinuing the rivalry (couldn’t do it - they’re in the same conference) nor did it discuss "discontinuing sports”.... it actually was to discuss the pricing of this item now on sale at the BYU bookstore.... :lol:

PS I'm not talented enough to make this up, a friend of mine just emailed it to me...
Oh man this is rich!!

How awesome would it be if EVERY BYU fan showed up to the game at RES next year cloaked in these? That would steam their clams.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Mithrandir wrote:I feel much better after hearing everyone's take on this. I hope my gut reaction (that this can't possibly be true) is correct.

I don't mean to be over dramatic, but I can't imagine BYU without it's sports programs. And I don't know what I'd do if BYU football were to go away. :~(

Regardless, here's to doing our part to make the rivalry more civil. While I love that Max spoke his mind (I've said as much on this board), I'm suddenly all about keeping it all above board. I have no interest in losing cougar football.
Once again, that is not how inspiration works. There is no kneejerk in inspiration. BYU could just as easily lose their sports program after the entire stadium stops to sing kumbaya in the pregame, BYU accidentally discovers the cure for AIDS while tripping over the goal line (for the 10th time) in the next Holy War; after which KWhitt and Bronco hold hands at the 50 yard line and 60,000 people sing "we thank thee o God for a prophet."

Remember, these general authorities for the most part were very very successful physicians, attornies, business men etc. They are not men of kneejerk reaction. If they saw a problem with a particular program or issue, they would address the particular issue; not cut off the entire arm in spite of a hangnail. It's preposterous to me to think that these men are so short sighted that they don't know how to make lemonade from lemons... and that they would prefer just to set the entire lemon orchard on fire...
They didn't get where they are in life by being short sighted and kneejerk thinkers.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

byutx wrote:The only real reason sports continue at BYU is because of the good will of the BYU name and the recognition it brings the church. If the brethren were to think that sports did more harm than good, sports would be gone in a second. Period.
I agree with this 100 percent. That is why Max's comments weren't smart. He got national press all over because of it. It made the church look bad or at least some might think so. Its like one of the most watched youtube videos as of yesterday. It didn't help at all with the church's mission and many may think that it hurt it given the reaction it has gotten here on the wasatch front. The church wants to unite, not divide. Max's comments were a big divider.

I was okay with his comments, but I can see how the church would not be happy about it.

ltpwfdcm
Recruit

Post by ltpwfdcm »

ABYUFAN wrote:I can confirm that there was a "high level meeting" However, that "high level meeting" did not discuss discontinuing the rivalry (couldn’t do it - they’re in the same conference) nor did it discuss "discontinuing sports”.... it actually was to discuss the pricing of this item now on sale at the BYU bookstore.... :lol:

PS I'm not talented enough to make this up, a friend of mine just emailed it to me...
Do those 'beer goggles' help make "Sweet Spirits" more attractive?

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

craigoscarson wrote:
Mithrandir wrote:I feel much better after hearing everyone's take on this. I hope my gut reaction (that this can't possibly be true) is correct.

Once again, that is not how inspiration works. There is no kneejerk in inspiration. BYU could just as easily lose their sports program after the entire stadium stops to sing kumbaya in the pregame, BYU accidentally discovers the cure for AIDS while tripping over the goal line (for the 10th time) in the next Holy War; after which KWhitt and Bronco hold hands at the 50 yard line and 60,000 people sing "we thank thee o God for a prophet."

Remember, these general authorities for the most part were very very successful physicians, attornies, business men etc. They are not men of kneejerk reaction. If they saw a problem with a particular program or issue, they would address the particular issue; not cut off the entire arm in spite of a hangnail. It's preposterous to me to think that these men are so short sighted that they don't know how to make lemonade from lemons... and that they would prefer just to set the entire lemon orchard on fire...
They didn't get where they are in life by being short sighted and kneejerk thinkers.
Well, I think you are missing the point. If the brethren had been considering getting rid of it for years, than this would not be a kneejerk reaction. It would be just one more incident that convinces them that this is the direction they should go.

Not saying i buy into that or not, just didn't think you were getting the point being made. BYU sports will stick around as long as they are helping the mission of the church. if they do the opposite i can see them getting chopped in a heartbeat. That is why incidents that happened during the crowten years and with max are not things that we want to see if we love byu sports.

i still have max's back, but i can see why the church would have a problem with it.

what a shame it would be. it would be like ripping your heart out to have that happen. I don't see it happening over max's comments but i can see a set of circumstances where it might seriously be considered.