Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mithrandir
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

Post by Mithrandir »

but I thought I would pass it along because I can scacely believe it myself...please take it for what it's worth. I have no way of verifying these claims. My source will not reveal his source.

I talked to a person close to the program this morning, and he said that a high level meeting took place earlier this week to discuss the events of saturday evening. He said that the University, and high ranking church officials are embarassed about what transpired during and after the game. Apparently the subject of discontinuing the BYU/Utah rivalry for two years was discussed at length (I don't know how this would possibly work given MWC contracts, etc).

Even worse, he said that the topic of doing away with sports at BYU altogether (ala Rick's College) was brought up, and discussed seriously. Apparently there are a few general authorities (I don't know if they're members of the 12, the 1st presidency, or what) that have been pushing for this for some time. There has been real discussion about wether major college athletics was in harmony with the mission of the university.

Please don't flame me for posting this. I'm only reporting what I've heard. I'm not a troll, I'm not trying to stir up trouble or controversy...I'm about the biggest BYU homer there is. More than anything I'm curious if anybody else has heard anything about this meeting, and if there is any turth to what my friend related to me.

"There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.”
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Warning: This post is total rumor mongering...

Post by Sammich »

I don't know anything about it, but I'll go ahead and call BS on it for two reasons:
- What happened after the game anyway? A player said a few stupid things in a press conference? Vague pictures and reports of a scuffle on the field that didn't result in any serious injury or damage? Unless the G.A.'s are listening to ute talk radio, I very much doubt any of them will take any of this as a serious embarrassment to the church, just another attempt (add it to the already long list) by critics of the church to blow something out of proportion and link it to the church.
- From what I have heard President Monson likes Bronco and what he is doing with the team. And I'm guessing other general authorities really like what Bronco is doing, too. If they do anything and that's a big IF, they'll talk to Bronco about keeping his players in line better, and hire more security for the rivalry game next year.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

If BYU drops major sports, I guarantee that the BYU would be in huge danger of becoming a female dominant university. And that is just a fact. Guys want major college sports and they will go elsewhere to find them. Plus, BYU has MILLIONS invested in facilities. I do not see them walking away from that. Would be a big mistake. lastly, what happened hardly registered a blip outside the state of Utah. This has zero effect on anything to do with the church, except for the haters in teh state of Utah. And they will hate away regardless. But I will admit I am not surprised that a meeting did take place. That is no surprise.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Well, I can't confirm or deny that these meetings took place. I would not be surprised if there was some sort of upper-level discussion about the incidents that took place on Saturday. I really doubt that there will be a suspension of the series, unless BYU wants to forfeit the game for the next two years.

People should not be surprised that there is talk about shutting down the sports programs at BYU. I'm sure that it is the plan within the next 10 to 12 years. What happened at Ricks was a precursor of what is to happen at BYU and BYU-H.

I doubt this will be the immediate decision of the church, but its coming. It will be a sad day indeed.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

Sports bring in millions of dollars at BYU. They didn't at Ricks. A little easier decision to do away with them there.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

To "suspend the series," wouldn't BYU have to either forfeit (as previously mentioned) or withdraw from the MWC?

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

I can confirm that there was a "high level meeting" However, that "high level meeting" did not discuss discontinuing the rivalry (couldn’t do it - they’re in the same conference) nor did it discuss "discontinuing sports”.... it actually was to discuss the pricing of this item now on sale at the BYU bookstore.... :lol:

PS I'm not talented enough to make this up, a friend of mine just emailed it to me...

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Wickchad84087 wrote:Sports bring in millions of dollars at BYU. They didn't at Ricks. A little easier decision to do away with them there.
The way the sports department works at BYU is completely different from almost any other school in the country. It's almost a completely different entity. The university part of BYU runs independently of the sports programs. They don't get any of the money from the sports programs itself. It would actually have very little impact on BYU's bottom line if the sports department went away. In fact, it would save them money in scholarships.

Also, BYU sports generates barely enough to cover all of its programs. They get no help from the school/church in any way. It is run completely off of ticket sales (which mostly come from football, followed distantly by men's basketball), some merchandising, the TV/radio contracts, other advertisements, and donations.

As for the millions of dollars of investment in the facilities, it was all private donations. The donors might be upset, but BYU in particular, and the church as a whole, doesn't make decisions based on how upset people might be.

The biggest thing that the church gets out of BYU sports is the "missionary" work that could be done by it. Almost every broadcast the church is brought up. If the church no longer sees this as a benefit, it makes it very easy to cut the programs.

The one downside that would need to be considered is how many LDS athletes would no longer serve missions, because there would be no BYU, where missions are almost expected.

SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SenorCougar »

That's an awful lot for someone simply saying that they HATE and CAN'T STAND Utah.............

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

As much as I hate the idea, there is one scenario where this could take place is if the MWC goes through some kind of expansion and suddenly has an North and South conference.

BYu goes South division
Utah goes North division

MWC stays intact and no one forfeits.Unless a championship game, but TCU stands to be a impediment for the foreseeable future.(Given how easily they trounced the conference this year we might want to consider 3 divisions. North, South, and TCU division...)

BTW...thanks for rumormongering.