Thank You Kyle Whittingham

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
tripwire
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Thank You Kyle Whittingham

Post by tripwire »

This is why I hate the whole idea of calling a time out to "ice" the kicker. (Well I liked it this time cause it helped BYU) It usually doesn't work and just wastes time.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

tripwire wrote:This is why I hate the whole idea of calling a time out to "ice" the kicker. (Well I liked it this time cause it helped BYU) It usually doesn't work and just wastes time.
Agreed. A rule needs to be enacted that does not allow defenses to call timeouts within two seconds of the play clock expiring on FG attempts. It is poor sportsmanship to do so, IMO.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

kitic77 wrote:
tripwire wrote:This is why I hate the whole idea of calling a time out to "ice" the kicker. (Well I liked it this time cause it helped BYU) It usually doesn't work and just wastes time.
Agreed. A rule needs to be enacted that does not allow defenses to call timeouts within two seconds of the play clock expiring on FG attempts. It is poor sportsmanship to do so, IMO.
Won't ever happen. The defense needs the ability to call time out if they realize they have 12 on the field. The offense could also line up in a field goal formation and shift into a regular formation to go for it at the end of the play clock.

Probably the best they could do is make it so that a player must be the one to call timeout, or you are not allowed to call consecutive timeouts like in the NFL.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

Mars wrote: I think Anae is a good OC. We won the game. I also wonder if BYU could do better. Just like 90% of the fans wonder about their own team every year. [/color]
I agree with this, I think Anae is a good OC but not a great OC. As it has been mentioned why didn't they keep running in the I when the ewets couldn't stop it? Every time BYU lined up in the shotgun, Utah brought the house on the rush and Max couldn't do anything, but when they lined up in the I Utah didn't know what they were going to do and it kept them honest on D.

One of the things that does drive me nuts more than not sticking with whats working, but continue to do something that doesn't work just to try to prove they might be able to do it one out of 10 times.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Wickchad84087 wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
Won't ever happen. The defense needs the ability to call time out if they realize they have 12 on the field. The offense could also line up in a field goal formation and shift into a regular formation to go for it at the end of the play clock. Probably the best they could do is make it so that a player must be the one to call timeout, or you are not allowed to call consecutive timeouts like in the NFL.
Agree. A "no timeouts can be called FROM THE SIDELINE before field goal attempts" rule would be exceedingly appropriate.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

bostoncoug wrote:As I was thinking about the game (you know that thing that took place before all the mayhem insued!!!) and I realized that Kyle Whittingham actually HELPED BYU win the game. Remember just before halftime, BYU lines up to kick a field goal, and just prior to the snap kwhit call a time out and Payne misses the field goal. BYU comes back from the time out runs one play, then brings Payne back in and kwhit calls a time out again just before the snap and Payne hits the field goal. When they were finally allowed to play, Payne hit the field goal. Those three points were needed to go into overtime. Obviously without those three points Bronco manages the time outs at the end differently and WHO knows what would've happend. But still, it brings a :D to my face when I think about how kwhit may have actually helped BYU win the game. I knew he was true blue all along :evil: :evil:
If you try to freeze a kicker, you do that just before the snap, in this case is was a practice kick in a real situation instead of at the side-line into a net. Smart :utard: s but it really becomes a wash, wihtout those three points other plays would have panned out differently as well.

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

Lawboy wrote:The issue was not the running, but the formation. When BYU ran out of the I-formation, we ran it great. Dominated in fact, since Manase blocked so well from that formation. When we ran single back, or from a spread formation, the success was varied. I wanted BYU to run from the I all 2nd half long. I know it is old school, but I thought Anae should have stuck with it until they stopped it, then kept doing it and throw play action from it. In the 1st half TD, we ran 2 plays from the I to get the score for Harvey and overpowered them. We ran 1 play action pass from it completed to McKay. The formation worked all game when used, but Anae did not stick with it. I wish he had because we were really good from it. If you rewatch, you will see it.
Yep, this is similar to what I've said in other places about Anae's play-calling. After BYU scored by pounding the ball on the ground to open the second half, even my nemesis Todd Christensen had the presence to call out BYU when they lined up in their spread out shotgun to open the next drive. He wondered why BYU wasn't trying to run after it was unstoppable before--probably the only time I ever agreed with him. BYU did run, but out of shotgun formation, the runs are always draw plays or misdirection, usually without a lead blocker.

BYU has two sets--shotgun with spread linemen and I-formation. I don't have stats, but qualitatively, when BYU goes shotgun, the 70% pass, 30% draw play (no read option that others use). When they lineup in I-formation, it's 80% run, 10% pass, 10% play action. Fairly predictable, though BYU relies on execution rather than deception (which apparently is illegal). But why tip your hand to the defense when you could execute the same plays from a formation that doesn't allow the defense to key to a tendency.

I think BYU would benefit from adding some more formations that have the QB under center. Under-center formations allow for more downhill running--that suits BYU's powerful running backs well--while still allowing decent passing game. Personally, I'd like to see more Pro Set (the classic BYU formation) and offset I.