The Vegas Spread vs. Utah

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The Vegas Spread vs. Utah

Post by jonnylingo »

kitic77 wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
kitic77 wrote:A nail-biter (2006, 2007) is memorable, but not necessarily more memorable than a blowout. If the margin of victory is 10-14 points, I could see that game being forgotten. But if we beat Utah like we beat Tulane this year (54-3) or Wyoming any of the last three years (55-7, 44-0, 52-0), I gaurantee that would be just as memorable.
I don't think I agree with this. "4th and 18" will never be forgotten. "harline is still open" will not be forgotten. These are much more memorable because they are so unlikely than a simply blowout. simple blowouts happen all the time. magic like 4 and 18 when the game is over almost never happen.

I would love something like that to happen again. but it would be better for my health to have them blowout utah thus saving the stress on my heart, mind, and body of watching a nailbiter for a few hours.
You are so right. Nail-biting, end of the game miracles happen much more often than Cougar blowouts of the Utes.

Oh wait. They've happened twice in the last three years (4th & 18, Harline's still open). Oh wait, they've happened three times in the last eight (Staley). Four times in the last nine (Lavell's Last Miracle). Five times in the last 11 (Kaneshiro Boink).

Whereas it's been since 1996 since BYU blew out Utah. In fact, BYU only has one win by more than seven points in the last 16 games.

Plus, if the Cougs blow out the Utes this year, it will be memorable simply because it hasn't happened in so long.
I bet you had to go look at stats to find the last byu blowout because you couldnt' remember off the top of your head, didn't you? ;) but I bet the others came right to your mind. am i right, am i right, am i right :)

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I knew when the last blowout was. I did have to go look for the one before that. Quick quiz for you: Name me three people who came your birthday last year. Now go back 16 years. I bet you didn't have to think too hard for the one last year, but had to think about the one years ago. Translation: recent events may seem more memorable because they are more easily recalled. Unfortunately for me and the BYU-Utah rivalry I don't have any real blowout memories. I was on my mission in 1996 so didn't get to see it. I was in the stands for the 2007, 2006 and 2001 games. That may have a lot to do with it too. If you are in attendance, it's more memorable as well. It's been since 1992 when BYU won by more than a TD at home. So the last time BYU won by a TD at home, Jake Heaps who could likely be our starting QB next year as a freshman was about a year old.

I stand by my belief that Cougar fans would long remember a blowout of the Utes this year. 20 years from now the 2006, 2007 and 2009 games will be memories of those of us who were there. They'll simply be notes in the game program for the BYU students of that day.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

My favorite game of the rivalry was 1989. 70-31 has a nice ring to it. 1996 is in second place because I love the fact that we had less than 10 passing attempts while still blowing them out.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

A blow-out combined with a shut-out would be extremely memorable, I'm just saying...

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

hawkwing wrote:A blow-out combined with a shut-out would be extremely memorable, I'm just saying...
Imagine a BYU vs UCLA or BYU vs Wyoming score. I'd remember a 55-0 score for a LONG time!

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

kitic77 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:A blow-out combined with a shut-out would be extremely memorable, I'm just saying...
Imagine a BYU vs UCLA or BYU vs Wyoming score. I'd remember a 55-0 score for a LONG time!
hmmm..... that's a License Plate :lol:

GO COUGARS!!!