Given the new hire...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Given the new hire...

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I believe that Hoffman should reconsider staying at BYU. Hoffman could become Todd Watkins 2.0. The star receiver who made the choice to come back to BYU for his senior year, which happened to be Anae's first year at BYU. Watkins went from a mid round draft pick to not.

There are differences with Hoffman, in that he's never really been a huge down field threat and most of his catches are short, and he's good at YAC (not Watkins strength).

I really actually feel this hire could potentially be worse for Apo, not that he's performed well enough for this to make a difference.

Hill does have a good arm, and can make all the throws necessary in any offense. Remember, he was recruited to play QB by Harbaugh at Stanford. Stanford doesn't run a spread offense, so I believe he has the skills necessary to play in a more conventional offense.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Given the new hire...

Post by frdbtr »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I believe that Hoffman should reconsider staying at BYU. Hoffman could become Todd Watkins 2.0. The star receiver who made the choice to come back to BYU for his senior year, which happened to be Anae's first year at BYU. Watkins went from a mid round draft pick to not.

There are differences with Hoffman, in that he's never really been a huge down field threat and most of his catches are short, and he's good at YAC (not Watkins strength).

I really actually feel this hire could potentially be worse for Apo, not that he's performed well enough for this to make a difference.

Hill does have a good arm, and can make all the throws necessary in any offense. Remember, he was recruited to play QB by Harbaugh at Stanford. Stanford doesn't run a spread offense, so I believe he has the skills necessary to play in a more conventional offense.
So what you are saying is that Anae doesn't know how to utilize a good Wide reciever because Watkins was fast but had bad hands? Did you ever hear of Austin Collie? He did fine under Anae's system.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Hoffman is not NFL talent. Not yet. He has *zero* shot of making a team, or probably even getting drafted. He needs another year of stat-padding, to learn how to block, AND/OR to shave at least 2 tenths off of his 40.

You are living in a dreamland if you think that he would make an NFL roster at this stage of his career.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I believe that Hoffman should reconsider staying at BYU. Hoffman could become Todd Watkins 2.0. The star receiver who made the choice to come back to BYU for his senior year, which happened to be Anae's first year at BYU. Watkins went from a mid round draft pick to not.

Could Apo really do worse? He was almost completely irrelevant this year.

stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

How could Apo do worse when you go from an OC that like to run his QB to an OC that likes to have a pocket QB...
If you'd like a better comparison how about McKay Jacobson... Great under Anae, absent under Doman

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

stgeorgefan wrote:How could Apo do worse when you go from an OC that like to run his QB to an OC that likes to have a pocket QB...
If you'd like a better comparison how about McKay Jacobson... Great under Anae, absent under Doman
Jacobson was a good freshman, under Anae, was poor the two years after his mission, also under Anae, and was bad his senior year under Doman.

Apo has been a disappointment, but part of it is due to the types of routes he's asked to run and who is throwing the ball.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Apo is done. He's now an upperclassmen. Time to make way for younger and more talented underclassmen.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BlueIsBetter wrote: Hoffman is not NFL talent. Not yet. He has *zero* shot of making a team, or probably even getting drafted... You are living in a dreamland if you think that he would make an NFL roster at this stage of his career.
Disagree on all points.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Watkins would have had an awesome senior year if he'd just held onto the ball. He had more wide open drops near the endzone that year than any player I can remember.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Mars wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote: Hoffman is not NFL talent. Not yet. He has *zero* shot of making a team, or probably even getting drafted... You are living in a dreamland if you think that he would make an NFL roster at this stage of his career.
Disagree on all points.
On what grounds? He runs about a 4.7 40, is only 6'3 and 200 lbs or so and can't block (so he wouldn't be playing TE), and he has trouble getting off of bump coverage.

He has a lot to work on to be NFL caliber.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: