Given the new hire...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Given the new hire...

Post by mizzoucoug »

Mars wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote: Hoffman is not NFL talent. Not yet. He has *zero* shot of making a team, or probably even getting drafted... You are living in a dreamland if you think that he would make an NFL roster at this stage of his career.
Disagree on all points.
That's just your blue-goggles talking. Hoffman is not an NFL talent. He is an above average receiver in college. Nothing more.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

mizzoucoug wrote:
Mars wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote: Hoffman is not NFL talent. Not yet. He has *zero* shot of making a team, or probably even getting drafted... You are living in a dreamland if you think that he would make an NFL roster at this stage of his career.
Disagree on all points.
That's just your blue-goggles talking. Hoffman is not an NFL talent. He is an above average receiver in college. Nothing more.

I am not sure why it is that you say he is not an NFL talent. You said " Hoffman is not an NFL talent. He is an above average receiver in college. Nothing more."
Every year players that are "above average talent" get drafted into the NFL. I dont think anyone is saying he is going to be a top 3 round draft pick but he has the talent and the body to at least get drafted even if its in the 7th round.

When he was in high school he wasn't really even considered an above average player. Go back and look at his recruiting page on Scouts.com and you will see that the only "major" college to offer him was BYU. But he went from being a low 2 star recruit that only BYU offered to a player that has the chance to hold almost all the major receiving records at BYU.

What is it about him that you don't see as NFL talent?

Again I am not saying he would or will be a high draft pick just that I think he will be drafted.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

mizzoucoug wrote:
Mars wrote:
Disagree on all points.

So we all agree - Stuck is nuts on this one and Hoff was wise to stay.

KVN also wise. How many of you posted in the what could have been threads that if we even had Anae's offense in 2012 we would have won 3 or more additional games.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougarbib wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Mars wrote:
Disagree on all points.

So we all agree - Stuck is nuts on this one and Hoff was wise to stay.

KVN also wise. How many of you posted in the what could have been threads that if we wven hsd Anae's offense in 2012 we would have won 3 or more additional games.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
bib's new phone has become my favorite thing to read on cougarcorner. ha ha. :lol:

Cougest
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougest »

a1247 wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Mars wrote:
Disagree on all points.

I am not sure why it is that you say he is not an NFL talent. You said " Hoffman is not an NFL talent. He is an above average receiver in college. Nothing more."
Every year players that are "above average talent" get drafted into the NFL. I dont think anyone is saying he is going to be a top 3 round draft pick but he has the talent and the body to at least get drafted even if its in the 7th round.

When he was in high school he wasn't really even considered an above average player. Go back and look at his recruiting page on Scouts.com and you will see that the only "major" college to offer him was BYU. But he went from being a low 2 star recruit that only BYU offered to a player that has the chance to hold almost all the major receiving records at BYU.

Again I am not saying he would or will be a high draft pick just that I think he will be drafted.
+1

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Tall, fast, quick, athletic, good hops, good routes, good hands. That's what I see.

He will be the best all-time at BYU in multiple receiving categories. I would hope that he could make it in the NFL. Austin Collie's success makes me think that he can.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

a1247 wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Mars wrote:
Disagree on all points.

Sure. This is not the first time we've had this discussion. Hoffman is not quick enough for the NFL and doesn't get behind defenders often enough. By saying "above average," what I mean is that he is above average for us not for the entire NCAA's. Collie was the best we've ever had and he's a slot receive in the NFL. Hoffman is a bigger target but I just don't think he has the speed to be anything more than a post-draft pickup. I love the kid but I'm not sure he's got the tools.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Speed is not the only qualifier as to making it the NFL - running solid routes, playing with a very competitive attitude (big heart) and having great hands count for much. For some history, check out Steve Largent and Fred Biletnikoff. They were able to get open with crafty moves and haul in most passes. Also HOF material. Hoffman has those intangibles as he finds a way to make the catch (in traffic) and come up with catches on errant throws. He will do fine. His final year, with a good O scheme and QB will provide many highlights.