Welcome back, Anae

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Welcome back, Anae

Post by frdbtr »

beauso79 wrote:What does Anae do with a mobile QB in Taysom Hill now??.....not really his realm
Why does an Ocoordinator have to do anything with a mobile QB other than set up good throwing plays for him? The QB coach needs to make sure the guy can throw. If a play breaks down the mobile QB makes a play with his legs. It was the designed running plays for our QB's last year that got them all banged up.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

trueblue72 wrote:Wow!!! I was one of the biggest "Get Anae out of here" guys, but based upon the last two seasons I am more than willing to let Anae back with open arms. So what happens to Weber? Do you think BYU let's him go? I sure hope so because we have a underperformed as an o-line for the last several years!!!
Rumor is that Weber is going to coach the Oline at USU.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote:
trueblue72 wrote:Wow!!! I was one of the biggest "Get Anae out of here" guys, but based upon the last two seasons I am more than willing to let Anae back with open arms. So what happens to Weber? Do you think BYU let's him go? I sure hope so because we have a underperformed as an o-line for the last several years!!!
Rumor is that Weber is going to coach the Oline at USU.
If that is true, we just got a pretty good gift at continuing our dominance over them.

trueblue72
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by trueblue72 »

beauso79 wrote:What does Anae do with a mobile QB in Taysom Hill now??.....not really his realm

I don't think the moblie QB will be that big of a deal of Anae, Nelson ran a lot under Anae in 2010. I think working with Scott in AZ will definitely add some new wrinkles to his O. Also remember lets not just give the job to Taysom, Bronco was quoted saying Olson has looked very good and he hasn't seen a QB look that good since Beck (something like that).

Isola
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Isola »

frdbtr wrote:
Why does an Ocoordinator have to do anything with a mobile QB other than set up good throwing plays for him? The QB coach needs to make sure the guy can throw. If a play breaks down the mobile QB makes a play with his legs.
This is my feeling too. I would like to see mobile QBs used much more like Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck who are passers who can scramble if the play breaks down, rather than RG3 who gets a lot of designed runs and has been knocked around all year as a result.

Rich Rod's offense has plenty of QB running plays and I am sure we will see some of that from Anae this go round, but I would like to limit designed QB runs or options to less than 10 per game. Ideally more like 5.

The scarcity adds to the effectiveness, and the QB running is too big a risk to do for just 4 yards a carry.

Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougarpoke »

Word out there is that Mark Atuia will be coaching running backs. If that is true then where does Dupaix fit in? I kind of liked him. Seems like Anae is back, which i am ok with, but I am more intrigued to see if there is a total change over of offensive staff. Weber is gone. Cahoon? Dupaix? Doman most likely staying at qb's coach. I think there is still one more opening left. Most of the problems from what i have seen on twitter and articles were between Reynolds and Anae. Hope to see our offense become better and more consistent. At least with Anae we know we will have an identity. The key for Anae will be to beat good defenses. I hope he is the right choice.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I don't have a problem with R. Anae coming back as OL Coach, but I can't get past his serious blunders in play calling as our OC. We wanted him gone. Maybe Doman wasn't the answer at OC, but I can't imagine having Anae back at the helm. Very disturbing to me.

The man had no OC experience when he came and he hasn't gotten any since he left and we're going to bring him back?? :skeptic:
Last edited by EM_Puma on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cougest
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougest »

trueblue72 wrote:

I don't think the moblie QB will be that big of a deal of Anae, Nelson ran a lot under Anae in 2010. I think working with Scott in AZ will definitely add some new wrinkles to his O. Also remember lets not just give the job to Taysom, Bronco was quoted saying Olson has looked very good and he hasn't seen a QB look that good since Beck (something like that).
+1. Watching the Louisville throw the ball against Florida was so fun to watch. I don't care how good of an athlete Taysom Hill is, he needs to learn how to throw the ball. Anea can develop his QB skills and Taysom can do the rest with broken plays. Besides, Olson is suppose to be a pretty good and fast athlete himself; He was known for being able to run in HS.

HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by HoosierCougar »

Cougest wrote:
trueblue72 wrote:

+1. Watching the Louisville throw the ball against Florida was so fun to watch. I don't care how good of an athlete Taysom Hill is, he needs to learn how to throw the ball. Anea can develop his QB skills and Taysom can do the rest with broken plays. Besides, Olson is suppose to be a pretty good and fast athlete himself; He was known for being able to run in HS.
Yep... biggest issue is accurate quarterback who is mobile. accuracy first, regardless of mobility.

If the offense has an accurate QB, some other issues go away.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote: I also like the fact that Anae got to go to a BCS school and work as their running game coordinator for the last 2 years and get introduced to some new ideas and new systems. Hopefully it will have helped him improve. Even if he hasn't, we'll be better off than we have been the last 2 years.
+1. Exactly.

Look at the Big Dawgs that Anae got to run with this year - and he did good. Beat USC, beat Oklahoma St., played Stanford into OT, barely lost to a tough Oregon St. - and beat Utah. He picked up invaluable experience in a tough conference.

UA vs Toledo, W, 24-17
UA vs Oklahoma St., W, 59-38
UA vs Oregon, L, 49-0
(As everyone knows, Oregon has an excellent team. Still, UA Passed for 243 yds., Rushed for only 89 yds. on 32 carries for 2.8 yds. per ruch against a #3 Oregon. Last night in the Fiesta Bowl, #5 Kansas St. Passed for only 151 yds., Rushed 132 yds. on 37 carries for 3.6 yds. p/ rush.)
UA vs Oregon St., L, 38-35
UA vs Stanford, L, 54-48 OT
UA vs Washington W, 52-17
UA vs USC, W, 39-36
UA vs UCLA, L, 66-10
UA vs Colorado, W, 56-31
UA vs Utah, W, 34-24
UA vs Arizona St., L, 41-34

New Mexico Bowl
UA vs Nevada, W, 49-48