Air Force DOES Chop Block

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
timmyboy
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Air Force DOES Chop Block

Post by timmyboy »

Interesting article in the Daily Herald about Air Force's chop blocking. Let me state it unequivocally because the players and coaches will not - Air Force DOES chop block, and does so quite frequently.

First, what is a chop block? According to the NCAA rulebook - "A chop block is a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (not the ball carrier) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between blocks; the “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below."

Let's take a look at the video evidence.

Air Force v. Nicholls State -
Chop Block #1 - 1:15 mark, middle of screen - low, then high
Chop Block #2 - 1:16 mark, middle of screen (hard to see because Nicholls State #28 is in the way) - one Air Force player shoves the player high into a diving Air Force player who hits low
Attempted Chop Block - 2:33 mark, left side of screen - low blocker missed the block
Chop Block #3 - 3:19 mark, middle right of screen - two lineman block the same guy - one goes high and the other dives at his legs
Chop Block #4 - 6:35 mark, middle of screen - two lineman go for the same guy, one high, one low

And that's only one video of one game.

Wickchad
All-American

Re: Air Force DOES Chop Block

Post by Wickchad »

So what? BYU holds, so does every other team in college football. It is only a penalty if the ref sees it and calls it. Hopefully Bronco will be riding the refs all game so that they don't miss any of these. As a chop block is a dangerous play the 15 yard penalty is pretty devastating to a drive, especially for a running team like Air Force.

Hopefully if Air Force does four chop blocks against us, they end up with four drives that die because of the penalty.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

"So what?" The chop block, like you said, is dangerous. It is a big deal to have people diving at your knees all game long. Holding? Maybe if they hold you severely your jersey will get ripped. Big difference.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

These pics are not of a chop block per se, but show the low style 'tackle' that was done to Pitta in last year's AFA game, that injured him for Utah and Arizona...it doesn't have the high and low combo described above, but does still seem to be designed to both overcome size differential and blow out a guy's legs.

Pitta catches the ball

Defender crouches

Begins his roll into Pitta

and hits him below the knees with his back

Pitta gets flipped in the air

and lands. Ouch! Too bad his momentum kept him from avoiding the tackler.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

The tackle on Pitta last year was not dirty. He was even quoted in the newspaper blog yesterday saying that it was not dirty. It is just a cornerback tackling a TE low like they always do. Unfortunately he got hurt on the play. Pitta gets hit like that all the time.

I definitely think that a chop block is a dangerous play, but so it a cut block. The only difference is another defender is touching the defender at the same time. Are either of the plays dirty?... Maybe, maybe not. I'm not going to put the entire Air Force offensive line in the same category as eye gougers and sucker punchers though.

They use a legal cut block. It sucks to play against, but it is legal...and dangerous. I don't think that they intentially chop block players, my guess is the o-lineman is unaware that another lineman is touching the defender when they go to cut block them. It would be pretty bad strategy for an offensive coordinator to set the o-lineman assignments to double team a d-lineman with a cut block. They would be rolling the dice everytime they did it that the drive would end on a 15 yard penalty.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

It's dangerous to tackle at the knees, but unless I'm mistaken, it's completely legal downfield.

High-low blocking is illegal anywhere on the field, not to mention also dangerous.

cougsnspurs4life
Recruit

Post by cougsnspurs4life »

Wickchad84087 wrote:So what? BYU holds, so does every other team in college football. It is only a penalty if the ref sees it and calls it. Hopefully Bronco will be riding the refs all game so that they don't miss any of these. As a chop block is a dangerous play the 15 yard penalty is pretty devastating to a drive, especially for a running team like Air Force.

Hopefully if Air Force does four chop blocks against us, they end up with four drives that die because of the penalty.
I would like to see you take a helmet to the knees from a 300 pound lineman and walk away from it...

So what...
Honestly, some peoples children...

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

cougsnspurs4life wrote:
Wickchad84087 wrote:So what? BYU holds, so does every other team in college football. It is only a penalty if the ref sees it and calls it. Hopefully Bronco will be riding the refs all game so that they don't miss any of these. As a chop block is a dangerous play the 15 yard penalty is pretty devastating to a drive, especially for a running team like Air Force.

I would like to see you take a helmet to the knees from a 300 pound lineman and walk away from it...

So what...
Give me a D-1 scholarship and I would gladly do it.

It's not the players that make a big deal out of cut/chop blocks each year. Its the fans. Hearing quotes from the players it sounds like Jorgensen is more concerned about his shins getting beat up.

CDH
Recruit

Post by CDH »

I think the hit on Pitta is much more dangerous than the hit Scott Johnson got a 15 yarder for last week!!IMHO

cougsnspurs4life
Recruit

Post by cougsnspurs4life »

Wickchad84087 wrote:
cougsnspurs4life wrote:

So what...
Give me a D-1 scholarship and I would gladly do it.

It's not the players that make a big deal out of cut/chop blocks each year. Its the fans. Hearing quotes from the players it sounds like Jorgensen is more concerned about his shins getting beat up.
granted... now go have some fun...