Yeah Max!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Yeah Max!

Post by Mars »

TAKING THE BALL FIRST: When BYU has won the coin toss this season, it has elected to start on defense.

Against New Mexico, the Lobos won the toss and chose to start on offense. UNM ended up scoring on a six-minute drive on its first possession and set the tone for the game.

Hall said from now on, if the Cougars win the toss, he'd like to start on offense.

"I think I've made the decision that I like getting the ball first. It's tough for an offense to go out there. You're warm, you're ready to go, then the other team has a long drive and scores, it kind of takes it out of your guys a little bit. I'm going to vote, if we win the toss, to give us the ball and let us roll."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... ack=rss-28

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Re: Yeah Max!

Post by Schmoe »

Normally I'm a fan of deferring, but when you're a team that plays so well from the lead and so poorly from behind, you gotta take the ball first.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

I like Max's attitude. If you've got the confidence in your offense then make the other guys play from behind.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

Also considering the fact that we have only scored once this season on the opening drive of the 2nd half we should be taking the ball to open the game.

Y&Brit
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Y&Brit »

Keep Offense on field=wins

keeping defense/having defense on field=close wins and losses

JamieVallen
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by JamieVallen »

During the BYU Vs. Air Force game last year, Bronco decided that it was best to take the ball first when we won the toss. It had something to do with Air Force not playing as well when they have to play from behind, because then they have to start throwing. (Which they're obviously not very good at).

I don't remember exactly where I saw this or if I could even find an article to cite that, but I just remember it being discussed last year, and I thought that was pretty interesting. So hopefully if we do win the toss we do take the ball first again, even know typically I am also a fan of putting our defense out there first.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

jmvcougar wrote:During the BYU Vs. Air Force game last year, Bronco decided that it was best to take the ball first when we won the toss. It had something to do with Air Force not playing as well when they have to play from behind, because then they have to start throwing. (Which they're obviously not very good at).

I don't remember exactly where I saw this or if I could even find an article to cite that, but I just remember it being discussed last year, and I thought that was pretty interesting. So hopefully if we do win the toss we do take the ball first again, even know typically I am also a fan of putting our defense out there first.
Edwards had these same thoughts in 1989 when we always deferred but he chose to receive against Air Force. Pretty smart since Stacy Corley took the opening kickoff back for a touchdown.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Go Max!

Just doesn't make sense to put a weak defense out to start the tone for the game.
Sure, it's nice when they make the stop... but ummm, how did that work out for us against TCU?

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

Wickchad84087 wrote:
jmvcougar wrote:During the BYU Vs. Air Force game last year, Bronco decided that it was best to take the ball first when we won the toss. It had something to do with Air Force not playing as well when they have to play from behind, because then they have to start throwing. (Which they're obviously not very good at).

Edwards had these same thoughts in 1989 when we always deferred but he chose to receive against Air Force. Pretty smart since Stacy Corley took the opening kickoff back for a touchdown.
This would be a great game for Chambers to make good on his promise. (fingers crossed)