Shoddy writing from Sorensen

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Shoddy writing from Sorensen

Post by Mars »

What's up with the Utah sports writers? Mike Sorensen wrote an article yesterday about shrinking the MWC, while knowing that the MWC cannot kick out any members. It's like false advertising. At the best, it just makes him look ignorant.

"I've got another idea. Instead of expanding, how about contracting the conference and switching a few schools in and out? ...Utah, BYU, TCU, Houston, Boise State, Air Force, UNLV and San Diego State would make a solid eight-school league... The league would have a much better chance to join the other six BCS conferences by adding a couple of strong football schools and getting rid of some of the deadwood... With eight teams, each school would receive a bigger share of BCS and NCAA Tournament money... But what about New Mexico, Colorado State and Wyoming, you say? Sure, we'd feel bad for those three schools. But tell me what those three bring to the league football-wise or basketball-wise... As good as it sounds, it would be hard to do. How do you tell three of your fellow conference members to take a hike? It's not like you can kick teams out... If eight isn't possible, then the MWC should go to 10 or 12. The sooner the better."

Yeah, the MWC cannot kick out any conference members, but I'll still write a two-page article about it! Genius! :sulk:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... ss-28&pg=2

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
cachevalleycougar
BLUEshirt

Re: Shoddy writing from Sorensen

Post by cachevalleycougar »

UNM and (offand on) CSU don't bring anything basketball wise? Is this guy an GENIUS?

JamieVallen
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by JamieVallen »

Didn't UNM share the conference title with us and Utah last year? (I mean in basketball that is)

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Mars wrote:
What's up with the Utah sports writers? Mike Sorensen wrote an article yesterday about shrinking the MWC, while knowing that the MWC cannot kick out any members. It's like false advertising. At the best, it just makes him look ignorant.

"I've got another idea. Instead of expanding, how about contracting the conference and switching a few schools in and out? ...Utah, BYU, TCU, Houston, Boise State, Air Force, UNLV and San Diego State would make a solid eight-school league... The league would have a much better chance to join the other six BCS conferences by adding a couple of strong football schools and getting rid of some of the deadwood... With eight teams, each school would receive a bigger share of BCS and NCAA Tournament money... But what about New Mexico, Colorado State and Wyoming, you say? Sure, we'd feel bad for those three schools. But tell me what those three bring to the league football-wise or basketball-wise... As good as it sounds, it would be hard to do. How do you tell three of your fellow conference members to take a hike? It's not like you can kick teams out... If eight isn't possible, then the MWC should go to 10 or 12. The sooner the better."

Yeah, the MWC cannot kick out any conference members, but I'll still write a two-page article about it! Genius! :sulk:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... ss-28&pg=2
No the MWC can't kick out members, but teams can get together and create a new conference.

Wyoming and Air Force should have never been included in the MWC as they are the two worst athletic programs in the conference BY FAR. Replace them with Boise St. and Fresno St. If Colorado St. feels compelled to join Wyoming into oblvion, fine, replace them with Houston.

Having 9 teams is good. It allows for a true round robin in all sports. However, if the new league is compelled to take on 12 teams add Nevada, UTEP and Tulsa.

Florwood
Senior

Post by Florwood »

I liked how he also referred to CSU as not having any football success since the 90's. Um, they were the conference champs in 2000 and 2002...

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

This gives me an idea for the law review article I have to write:

I'll write all about the need to allow police to use waterboarding in questioning of petty-theft suspects. I could go on for pages about the upside to such tactics in reducing recidivism, deterring future bad-actors, the "broken-windows" effect of reducing not just petty-theft, but more serious offenses as well. Then, in the closing paragraph, I'll mention the pesky 4th Amendment in passing.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Florwood wrote:I liked how he also referred to CSU as not having any football success since the 90's. Um, they were the conference champs in 2000 and 2002...
C'mon that's just the really really really late 90's ;)

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:This gives me an idea for the law review article I have to write:

I'll write all about the need to allow police to use waterboarding in questioning of petty-theft suspects. I could go on for pages about the upside to such tactics in reducing recidivism, deterring future bad-actors, the "broken-windows" effect of reducing not just petty-theft, but more serious offenses as well. Then, in the closing paragraph, I'll mention the pesky 4th Amendment in passing.
It would be more funny if you specifically mention how the neither the First nor Second Amendments specifically prohibit such a practice, and leave the 4th Amendment argument to a footnote saying "some may argue that there is an Amendment hidden somewhere in the Bill of Rights that prohibit such activity, but c'mon if it ain't in the top 3, is it really that important anyway?")

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

mormonrasta wrote: No the MWC can't kick out members, but teams can get together and create a new conference. Wyoming and Air Force should have never been included in the MWC... Replace them with Boise St. and Fresno St. If Colorado St. feels compelled to join Wyoming into oblvion, fine, replace them with Houston... if the new league is compelled to take on 12 teams add Nevada, UTEP and Tulsa.
I like where your head is at.

For me, I'd like to see us add:
1. Boise State
2. Fresno State
3. Nevada

"WEST":
Fresno State (CA) / San Diego State (CA)
Nevada (NV) / UNLV (NV)
BYU (UT) / Utah (UT)
"MOUNTAIN":
Boise State (ID) / Air Force (CO)
Wyoming (CO) / Colorado State (CO)
New Mexico (NM) / TCU (TX)

I don't think we'd ever create a new conference again, as starting over with bowls and bowl money, NCAA Tourny auto-bids and conference credits, and TV deals is far too much for us to want to take on again.
BUT, if we did, I would like to get rid of:
1. Wyoming'
2. Air Force
3. Colorado State

And add:
4. UTEP
5. Hawaii
6. Houston

"WEST": Hawaii/Boise, FSU/SDSU, UNR/UNLV
"MOUNTAIN": BYU/Utah, UNM/UTEP, UH/TCU

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.