Scrimmage

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Scrimmage

Post by jonnylingo »

Couple things that stood out at scrimmage.

Obviously Hine. He look fast at difficult to take down. He never went down on the first touch.

Defensive back Blake Morgan stripped Hine once after Hine had a great run and then on the run that Hine broke for 50 Morgan was the only one that was able to chase him down. I was impressed he could catch him.

Houk and Collie had some costly drops.

lasike is a beast. very hard to take down.

Foote broke Jorgenson's ankles on one run play. Jorgenson literally fell to the ground while Foote ran passed him untouched.

Kuresa got a whole bunch of reps at receiver.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Scrimmage

Post by SpiffCoug »

Nelson's and Lark's PERs from today's scrimmage:
Nelson: 171.85
Lark: 179.25.

So through two scrimmages, Riley is 16 of 26 (.615) for 245 yards 2 TDs and 0 INTs with a PER of 166.08.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

jonnylingo wrote:Couple things that stood out at scrimmage.

Obviously Hine. He look fast at difficult to take down. He never went down on the first touch.

Defensive back Blake Morgan stripped Hine once after Hine had a great run and then on the run that Hine broke for 50 Morgan was the only one that was able to chase him down. I was impressed he could catch him.

Foote broke Jorgenson's ankles on one run play. Jorgenson literally fell to the ground while Foote ran passed him untouched.

Since the scrimmage was closed to the public, where did you get this info? It sounds like you saw it with your own eyes.

I read Wrubel's recap but I don't remember him mentioning the fumble by Hine. He did mention the juke by Foote though.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

frdbtr wrote:

Since the scrimmage was closed to the public, where did you get this info? It sounds like you saw it with your own eyes.

I read Wrubel's recap but I don't remember him mentioning the fumble by Hine. He did mention the juke by Foote though.
I was open to club seating ticket holders. There was a barbeque after. I was able to watch it.

one more thing of note was that the 1s on defense didn't see much playing time if at all. The quarterbacks looked better in that they were often going against the basically everybody 2 and below on the roster.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

jonnylingo wrote:
frdbtr wrote:

I was open to club seating ticket holders. There was a barbeque after. I was able to watch it.

one more thing of note was that the 1s on defense didn't see much playing time if at all. The quarterbacks looked better in that they were often going against the basically everybody 2 and below on the roster.
Do you think they were doing much with the play book or was it still vanilla? This is cool info, it wasn't publicized that anyone but the media was going to get in.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

http://www.cougarfan.com/article.asp?Ar ... d=21734318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indicates Hine had over 100 yards and Lasike runs like a mad bull (2-23).
Riley/Lark were very effective in producing TDs.
1st team OL is Matthews, Hansen, Reynolds, Stringham, Brown.
Hoffman continues to be money in producing great catches and TDs and is complemented by Falslev. Not hearing much about Apo.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

It is exciting to see the offense performing well. We have similar results compared to last week’s full-contact scrimmage. Again, the offense ran and passed the ball quite well - O produced five touchdowns. Looks like the O-line is jelling and opening up some good holes for the hard-running RBs. At the same time, the O says the D is very good and flies around bringing heat. Good sign.

Next week they begin preparing for WSU - the team says that they still need to improve on mastering position and techniques but that they are far along compared to last year.

Also believe that the influence of Max Hall has been outstanding and we actually have two Coach Domans' on the team.

TBurg Coug
Recruit

Post by TBurg Coug »

I think Apo is being held out of scrimmages because of his shoulder that he had worked on during spring ball. Hoffman has recieved limited work as well in scrimmages. but I'm super excited for this offence! I think for once we won't have a slow start and be able
to score lots of points early. I wish I could see it though. I'll be in the entering the MTC the day before the Wazzu game.

Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Stirfry »

TBurg Coug wrote: I wish I could see it though. I'll be in the entering the MTC the day before the Wazzu game.

At least if it's the Provo MTC you'll get to hear it!

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

My observations.

First, Nelson had more series than I thought he would. Probably bc most of the 1s were all playing--especially the Oline. Probably why they needed a lot of work together as a unit.
After Hine turned it over, Riley came in and they quick stroked a TD in like four plays. The D was Discombobulated. Riley looked good. Overthrew a few times, but had to bc otherwise they would have been intercepted.

mostly vanilla plays, but there were a few sets that I won't mention, bc I'm not sure Bronco would want that open to the outside. I didn't notice whether the media was there yet, but didn't look like it if I recall. But the sets were different and effective.

Lark looked ok. Now before anyone blazes me considering his PER, he looked good bc first, he was running against the threes; second, Hine and Lasike are a beastly duo, particularly for 2s and 3s and the D had to play to stop them and opened the pass game for Lark. Imagine that strategy working-- run to set up the pass. A was said by Jonny, Blake Morgan looked good on speed.

We are loaded at RB. Williams and Alisa didn't even see a play. Iona and David were a great pair. Mendenhall is still a beast. Interesting set with 3 RBs. Very effective. Hine is fast and the side-step/jump was saaawwweeeeetttt!

WRs looked good. HOff is A GO TO guy!! Houks gotta catch some HOff fever. JD looked very good. Dylan got some work with the ones.

Couple good passes to TEs. Mathews ran with 1s. I think Friel caught a pass. Holt ran with 2s. Need to keep improving there.

Taysom looked ok. Didnt really get all too many reps or rhythm. Quick whistles when he started to run. Not enough data. Lark looked good enough that he probably is legit two for now.

Great to see the 1s on offense, less a little Apo.
Can't wait to see entire Defense. KVN was down joking and strutting and roofing around as usual. Makin fun of the refs at one point. He is a crack.

Oh, saw the JC transfer back up punter. He's not good. Or nervous and constricted.

Didn't see Ziggy at all. Looked for his number on sideline, couldn't see it. Kaufusi looked ok. Good to see him out there. I fear he is a D end in a 4-3 defense. I hope he gets utilized for who he is. That will be interesting. He was a freak in HS.

GO COUGS!!!