State of our Walk-on Program

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

State of our Walk-on Program

Post by byucougar1 »

Anyone notice that the quality of our walk-ons is improving drastically. Many talented players are testing the waters in hope of getting a scholarship rather than playing at other schools. Some of these players include speedster WR Jake Arslanian, and recently WA DL Tyson Beck and Alta RB Bryan Engstrom. I am sure Mars can provide a more comprehensive list.

This surely improves the scout team competition and seems like a great way for the players to get reps and show what they can do. Cream rises to the top and the walk-on program seems like a farm club that will develop some great talent from time to time. Bronco must be selling this well to a number of promising recruits who don't have schollies offered but have the opportunity to earn them based upon performance. At first glance this approach seems to be adding depth and competition which can only improve the team.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: State of our Walk-on Program

Post by scott715 »

We used to be able to send these kids to Ricks for two years. Too bad we don't have that pipeline any more. Playing at a Jr. college would give more game experience.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

To be honest, I only want to see 1-2 walk-ons play. Not because I do not like them, but because I want the BYU recruiting evals with schollie players to pan out more, which means that they need fewer walk-ons.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I would like to see more but as upper classmen after they have had a chance to grow some more. Some guys are just late bloomers. Or in J Williams case only 16 years old.

Ron
Gray Shirt

Post by Ron »

After watching the videos of Bryan Engstrom and viewing his football profile, he reminds me of John White of Utah - fast, short , smart and strong. Players with this kind of talent are hard to tackle because you can't see them coming and when you do, they have already gone by you. He would also be an excellent punt returner.

For someone to be able to squat 535 pounds weighing 175 pounds is super-human status.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Another reason we are most likely trying to upgrade the caliber of the walk-ons is because recently a number of our new recruits have been leaving on missions. This requires some creative juggling of personnel to field players at all positions. A very competitive scout team (quality players) can improve our game time preparation and provide the support that we may need.

In addition, the walk-ons are striving to gain attention and get a scholarship which means putting in extra hard work. It is a win-win situation because they truly have to earn their position and fierce competition fosters improvement.

Remember Falslev was playing without a schollie for most of last year yet was our PR and eventual starter at HB. His example is an inspiration to other walk-ons who may be as good but didn't get an offer because of a lack of available schollies. The fact that Bronco has a history of rewarding hard workers (29 walk-on schollies during his tenure) attracts the type of kids that truly fit the mold of team players and who play for the love of the game yet don't feel entitled. Because Bronco rewards hard work and investment, I believe we will continue to mine this group for hidden gems or under the radar players with good potential.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Ron wrote:After watching the videos of Bryan Engstrom and viewing his football profile, he reminds me of John White of Utah - fast, short , smart and strong. Players with this kind of talent are hard to tackle because you can't see them coming and when you do, they have already gone by you. He would also be an excellent punt returner.

For someone to be able to squat 535 pounds weighing 175 pounds is super-human status.
+1.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

He is kind of a cross between the speeding RB that left school (going to MS Jr. College) and Falslev. I anticipate good things from this kid.