Future Opponents?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Future Opponents?

Post by mormonrasta »

Schmoe wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:
declocoug wrote:
Lawboy wrote:The Utes have gone after ACC and Big East teams successfully. If they can do that with their stadium, we sure can. I say we look east. 1 pac 10 opponent each year, USU, BSU, then add a ACC, Big 10 or Big East foe. I guess Big 12 would be good, too. big 12 North in particular. I am guessing those teams may not want a piece of BYU, though.
No one fears the utes though.

Except those seals in alabama.
They should. They have been much better in nonconference games than BYU has in recent history.
But when talking about scheduling it doesn't matter what others' perceptions SHOULD be, it only matters what they are. And if teams are more scared to play us than the Utes, then we will have a harder time scheduling opponents regardless of how well each team has actually played OOC.

You don't think the national perception right now is Utah>BYU? I do. Honestly, I don't think this is a teams are afraid to play BYU issue. I think this is a money issue. I doubt BYU is offering the kind of cash necessary to attract big time teams to Provo.

AmmonCougar1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

I tend to agree with 'Rasta that the national perception is utah>BYU right now. I'm not sure if money is the factor or if it's just risk. I see any game by a Bc$ conference team (esp. those near/at the top of their conference) as a lose/lose against Non-Bc$ teams. Even the lower tier Bc$ teams, other than perhaps exposure if they beat a ranked non-Bc$ team have not much to gain by scheduling us.

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Perhaps FSU and TCU did BYU a favor, and some teams might be more willing to come to Provo now, eh? We can hope so, because the air of invincibility in Provo is gone, isn't it.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Yes, right at this very moment, Utah is ranked ahead of BYU, but on a consistent, yearly basis (and during the offseason when most scheduling is done) I think that other teams are more afraid to schedule BYU than Utah.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Schmoe wrote:Yes, right at this very moment, Utah is ranked ahead of BYU, but on a consistent, yearly basis (and during the offseason when most scheduling is done) I think that other teams are more afraid to schedule BYU than Utah.
When on a consistent yearly basis has BYU been better than Utah in nonconference play?

Not in the last 5 years (2005-2009) BYU 14-9 vs. Utah 18-5

Not in the previous 5 years before that (2000-2004) Utah 16-7 vs. BYU 12-14

wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

I'd love a Home and Home with Iowa. My wife's family lives just north of Iowa City and most are Hawkeye fans. Would love to travel to that game.

GO COUGARS!!!
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

I can agree that right now the national perception is that Utah>BYU... and obviously Utah's track record over the past decade has been more impressive than ours (it's hard to argue with two undefeated seasons and two BCS bowl victories). However, regardless, the national perception overall will always tend to give BYU more credit and respect. It's the same reason why teams like Oklahoma can be 3-3 and ranked in the top 25... respect and prestige... and when it comes to those two things, BYU always has and most likely always will lead Utah. We have a much larger name for ourselves. Utah were considered nobodies until their recent success.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Just about any time BYU and Utah have equal records, BYU is ranked higher. Almost every preseason, BYU is ranked higher. That says it pretty well.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars