You won't hear me say this very often

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

You won't hear me say this very often

Post by mcgregor »

But this one is on the coaches. Particularly, this one is on the offensive coaches.

OFFENSE
Team can't stay on the field. Anae offered some questionable play-calling. Doman once again either failed to mentally prepare for this game, or failed to get him in it. Weber, though, did an ok job, as the run game was there, and there's only so much you can do against TCU's DL.

DEFENSE
I can't put too much on the defense, since they spent so much time on the field, and were often placed in poor situations by the offense. However, the DL has once again failed to generate enough pressure on the QB. All season long, the pressure has generally come from the LBers.

HC
This may be my first criticism on BM--I'm not sure. BUT: I disagree with those that complain about scheming, I support BM 100% on that, and generally think those that gripe about this have a low football IQ.

Rather, Bronco has proven unable to inspire his team to reach deep and come back. He stresses being even-keeled. This is great when you are ahead, and the better team. But it fails to prepare to come from behind. He only prepares the team for when they are closely trailing.

And, he stresses execution. I agree 100% on this as well. But we FAIL to execute against good teams. If that's his central theme, he's failing to execute it.

Sorry, I love BM, and I think he's the right man for the job. My complaint isn't centered on his overall production. Instead, BM preaches continual renewal and improvement. To compete at a higher level, he needs to take a look at what's wrong with what he's doing.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: You won't hear me say this very often

Post by Gunk »

Good points McGregor. I think we had our hopes up pretty high after the OU game that BM might have become more of a motivating coach. Guess we weren't so lucky.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

These are excellent points. I agree 100%. This whole robot style of coaching is growing tiresome. I agree that Bronco is still the guy for BYU but this philosophical approach to football only works when playing bad teams. If we ever want to be a National Contender, not just nationally known, then this aspect of Bronco's coaching needs to be adjusted.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

mcgregor wrote: Anae offered some questionable play-calling. True.
Weber, though, did an ok job, as the run game was there, and there's only so much you can do against TCU's DL. False, IMO. If the OL coach isn't in charge of the OL, and the OL isn't in charge of giving the QB time to throw, black is white and cats will marry dogs.
I can't put too much on the defense, since they spent so much time on the field, and were often placed in poor situations by the offense. False. TCU passed for FIVE PLAYS longer than our longest. That's ALL on the defense. The offense struggled from behind, but defense lost us this game.
The DL has once again failed to generate enough pressure on the QB. All season long, the pressure has generally come from the LBers. True. Our DL gets owned against good teams. We need to switch to a 4-man rush.
Bronco has proven unable to inspire his team to reach deep and come back. He stresses being even-keeled. This is great when you are ahead, and the better team. But it fails to prepare to come from behind. He only prepares the team for when they are closely trailing. I blame Anae's game-calling here, for the inability to get back into losing games.
BM preaches continual renewal and improvement. To compete at a higher level, he needs to take a look at what's wrong with what he's doing. Changes need to be made. WHAT, we can only guess. Maybe start with everything I've ever said (longer practices, I little bit more live scrimaging to toughen up both units, more emotion, bulletin board material, more fun, learn to hate, get angry over losses, halftime speeches, run the ball more, use the slot receiver, let Nelson run running packages every now and then, etc, etc, etc.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Short_Change »

I've been on the coaches since last year, especially Anae. I don't care what anyone says, BYU has a lot of talent on offense and defense and it isn't being utilized very well vs good opponents. The fact that Anae doesn't use Riley Nelson in the offense shows his inability to adapt and use the talent he has. The fact that we haven't ran more than one or maybe two bootlegs does the same, as well as screen plays, etc. Whatever happened to passing the ball to Harvey? He doesn't seem to take what the defense is giving him. I don't like it when coordinators script the first 10-30 plays or whatever and I don't know if he does that, but it sometimes seems like he's going off a pre-game script. Why would you want to do that? React to what the defense is doing and make adjustments throughout the game.