SMOKE: BYU to BIG XII

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

SMOKE: BYU to BIG XII

Post by Lawboy »

And hearing could be as soon as mid-week, next week.

It is very public now as Texas AD has commented on BYU being team 10 today. Also, sounds as if Tier 1 and 2 TV rights to be an equal split, and the Big XII is to replace Beebe on an interim basis with former Big 8 Commish.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... thru.0900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ungoy
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: SMOKE: BYU to BIG XII

Post by Ungoy »

Very interesting to have the Texas President come right out and drop BYU's name. If things stabilize the way they are, I really think for the first time that the invite might actually be coming for BYU.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

If SMOKE refers to smoke and mirrors, then you are right. I will believe it when I see it.
The only quiet ones are BYU. TX, OU, OSU, et.al., have been deceptive and gamey.
Who knows but that he's dropping BYU's name out there to heighten the byu fanbase bc there is a negotiating point that they are trying to pressure byu to give up. Or just plain smoke and mirrors for some other program that is quietly negotiating.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Lawboy wrote:And hearing could be as soon as mid-week, next week.

It is very public now as Texas AD has commented on BYU being team 10 today. Also, sounds as if Tier 1 and 2 TV rights to be an equal split, and the Big XII is to replace Beebe on an interim basis with former Big 8 Commish.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... thru.0900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HAAAAA HA HAH ha.

I don't mean to pick on you lawboy (yes I do), but how many time have we heard this out of you?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Since Texas talks about us then that means we have already agreed in principle to join the league.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I don't blame our boy for not anticipating the Oklahoma hissy fit that almost blew up college football as we know it today. Everyone likes to bag on Texas for being selfish even though we bagged on the MWC for years for not giving us the larger share we thought we deserved and lately have insisted that we keep our Mormonhorn network and ESPN deal.

But it was actually the selfish clinging onto it's Longhorn network that has twice resulted in the PAC not adding Texas, Okie, and friends and blowing up college football.

The selfish horns just saved The Big 12, well how many chickens shall we count before they hatch - make that seem to have saved college football as a direct result of clinging to The LHN.

If this all goes down - the ESPN deal as we currently know it makes no sense and would probably evaporate into some renegotiation of the Big 12 Contract. The Fox deal might get tweaked as well. Most likely Big 12 Tier 1 would get any BYU games it wants within the terms of it's agreement, Tier 2 would have it's pick of the leftovers, and Tier 3 BYU could do what it wants with those home games or OOC games. Something like that. Fan access would not suffer due to BYU TV, but exposure would have pluses and minuses due to more interesting games people other than BYU fans would want to watch - but for the ones on BYUcTV no ESPN promotion of the games. And there probably will be more games pushed off to BYU TV.

More pluses than minuses in my book and I, as a fan, care more about access than exposure. As an every member a missionary hat wearing fan, the exposure will be very good.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
superchargedcougar
BLUEshirt

Post by superchargedcougar »

I trust Lawboy. He probably has the best inside info about this kind of stuff out of all of us here that share inside info. I'm excited to see how this works out. Now I'm just wishing I could have seen that 2013 schedule... oh wait I'll be on my mission anyway! Big XII sounds great to me. How about rubbing that in the :utard: s faces?! Big XII > Pac12 especially now that Oregon lost and Jim Harbaugh is gone. Besides this would get BYU into Texas for recruiting! I'll take Texas over California for recruits any day. Although I would take relaxing in San Diego over burning up in Austin :P

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

superchargedcougar wrote:I trust Lawboy. He probably has the best inside info about this kind of stuff out of all of us here that share inside info. I'm excited to see how this works out. Now I'm just wishing I could have seen that 2013 schedule... oh wait I'll be on my mission anyway! Big XII sounds great to me. How about rubbing that in the :utard: s faces?! Big XII > Pac12 especially now that Oregon lost and Jim Harbaugh is gone. Besides this would get BYU into Texas for recruiting! I'll take Texas over California for recruits any day. Although I would take relaxing in San Diego over burning up in Austin :P
Of course lawboy knows his stuff. He certainly has more info that I do (none). I was just giving him a hard time.

Keep it coming lawboy, if you keep shooting that shotgun blazing, you'll hit a target somewhere. ;)

pjmuli
Freshman

Post by pjmuli »

Lawboy wrote:And hearing could be as soon as mid-week, next week.

Awesome. Just awesome.

As per Lawboy's credibility, based on multiple other sources, his information has been spot on. If it has proven to be inaccurate, it is because the situation changes so rapidly.

NCPUMA
Recruit

Post by NCPUMA »

Any inside info on whether we'd be football only or all sports?