Jerry Sloan and Phil Johnson resigning from Utah Jazz

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
BigCougsFan
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jerry Sloan and Phil Johnson resigning from Utah Jazz

Post by BigCougsFan »

Schmoe wrote:It was definitely a force out, Jerry Sloan is too much a man to not finish the season otherwise. Word is that Williams said he'd walk if Sloan was his coach next year. Guess what dumbass Miller family? He's gonna walk anyway!! This never would have happened with Larry still at the helm, too bad his kid is the definition of the word dummy (rich people's kids generally are).
Larry did keep everybody together. Even though I laughed at his girly comments at the end of every season when Malone said his. At times I thought those two were married.

I even despise Larry from the car business. I still respected him and what he accomplished.

With thay being said... His son is a joke. Give it time before the Jazz are in shambles. Then his car lots with his theaters following behind. Larry's empire won't last while his son is in charge.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Frankly, the game passed Sloan by. He doesn't/didn't/couldn't/wouldn't relate or communicate well with today's player. I'm sorry, but he was a poor coach in that regard. I won't miss him. I thought he stayed on way too long.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

kitic77 wrote:Frankly, the game passed Sloan by. He doesn't/didn't/couldn't/wouldn't relate or communicate well with today's player. I'm sorry, but he was a poor coach in that regard. I won't miss him. I thought he stayed on way too long.
That's because Sloan refused to change his 20 year old's diapers. You're right, the game passed Sloan up. Hard work, Defense, earning an honest paycheck are things that Sloan relates with. Being Lazy, going through the motions, thumping ones chest and putting on a show (even if you are 11-58) is what today's game is all about.

Sloan wouldn't change and he made basketball a better game because of the way he approached it.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I didn't say he had to get rid of hard work, defense, et al. I'm saying he never changed his ability to relate and communicate with players. He didn't have a scheme issue, he had a inability to get today's players to play the way in which he knew they would be successful.

He was a crotchety old-man who expected people to listen to him, without him having to reciprocate. It was his way or no way. There are ways to get people to do things your way without alienating them in the process. Sloan never figured that out.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

kitic77 wrote:I didn't say he had to get rid of hard work, defense, et al. I'm saying he never changed his ability to relate and communicate with players. He didn't have a scheme issue, he had a inability to get today's players to play the way in which he knew they would be successful.

He was a crotchety old-man who expected people to listen to him, without him having to reciprocate. It was his way or no way. There are ways to get people to do things your way without alienating them in the process. Sloan never figured that out.
Good point. But current NBA players' attitudes are a mirror of what's wrong in today's society.