Dantley Walker - Signed to UNLV

Discussion and information on upcoming and past BYU recruiting classes
bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dantley Walker - Potential BYU Recruit

Post by bball »

As to Dantley's speed. His father was no speed demon, but he had a very quick first step, and could get by anybody. Dantley is faster in the open court, I think, than he is in the halfcourt game, one on one. Keep in mind, Dantley is not some amazing athlete, he is an amazingly skilled basketball player--much like Jimmer. Give Dantley a couple of years, and time with the conditioning coach, and I think he will be able to play with anybody on the college level.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

BYU can always recruit white boys that can shoot it. We need more athletes, especially in the post. Recruiting is getting better in this area, and results are following. I hope this kid pans out so all those Rebel fans can cheer for an LDS kid.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stuckinbig10country »

In basketball, BYU can't get all the great LDS kids. It's unfortunate, but I'm glad Dantley has a D1 offer, and it's not a terrible place to be. Las Vegas with all of it's ills does have a high mormon population.

An example of not being able to get all the players: JC Carroll vs. Mark Bigelow. They were in the same recruiting class and BYU only had room for one of them. Bigelow was by far the bigger get out of high school and committed to BYU, so all that BYU could offer to Carroll was walk-on with potential to get a scholarship. USU had a scholarship for him. Them's the breaks.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Lawboy wrote:BYU can always recruit white boys that can shoot it. We need more athletes, especially in the post. Recruiting is getting better in this area, and results are following. I hope this kid pans out so all those Rebel fans can cheer for an LDS kid.
Agreed, but how often does BYU pass on a kid that is scoring/passing like this kid? It'd make me sick to see this guy tear it up at UNLV.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

declocoug wrote:
Lawboy wrote:BYU can always recruit white boys that can shoot it. We need more athletes, especially in the post. Recruiting is getting better in this area, and results are following. I hope this kid pans out so all those Rebel fans can cheer for an LDS kid.
Agreed, but how often does BYU pass on a kid that is scoring/passing like this kid? It'd make me sick to see this guy tear it up at UNLV.
If the kid really wants to go to BYU and BYU offers later, he can take it.. we're not even close to the signing day for college hoops.

Personally, this sounds like something that was going on behind the scenes or that UNLV did what Texas did to Apo and said take it now or leave it... Apo took it from Texas and still bailed on them.

This might be less about Walker and more about Jordan Chatman, Nick Emery and TJ Haws all three of which are substantially more talented than Walker. I have the utmost faith in Dave Rose and his coaching staff's eye for guards.

HHH
Gray Shirt

Post by HHH »

Congratulations Dantley! Even though it appears that Dantley won't end up in a BYU Cougar uniform I am excited to continue watching his career develop. Dantley is a great kid and a terrific player worth rooting for.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

HHH wrote:Congratulations Dantley! Even though it appears that Dantley won't end up in a BYU Cougar uniform I am excited to continue watching his career develop. Dantley is a great kid and a terrific player worth rooting for.
Not surprising since he is the only topic on which you have commented.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
HHH
Gray Shirt

Post by HHH »

What can I say? . . . . I'm a Dantley fan.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Pretty much anything on a non-Dantley thread would suffice.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
viking23
Gray Shirt

Post by viking23 »

I watched his highlight video and UNLV can have him. Yes he has unlimited range but that's all he will be able to do at the D1 level. There is no way he gets into the lane and throws up those soft floaters against D1 athletes. He has no elevation and hardly leaves the ground. I'm from Nevada and played high school ball there. The 2a league is absolutely terrible.