Starting Nelson

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Starting Nelson

Post by rblack »

1. There has been alot of talk about starting Heaps instead of Nelson.
2. BYU has indicated that in spite of everything Nelson will start against Florida.
3. The continued starting of Nelson angers some cougar faithful.

Why does BYU continue to rely on Nelson instead of giving the ball to Heaps?
The answer is very simple. Heaps needs to earn the starting job based on his performance on the field. If Heaps is ever going to be the starter that we need/hope him to be, he must not be handed the position by default. Heaps has not done anything in game situations that earns the starting job. Apparently, it became apparent to the coaching staff during the Air Force game that this was not the game where we were going to have a Heaps coming out party. Alot of people feel that this was an unfair evaluation of where he was at. I trust the coaching staff.
If you read the comments Bronco Mendenhall has made regarding the starting position, he is looking for someone to step up and earn the position. My prediction is that Heaps will be given opportunities in the Florida State game to step up and emerge as the quarterback of the future. If he does not, then there are several possiblities from there.
1. Nelson will step up. In order for Nelson to step up, he needs to hold in the pocket for a few more seconds to allow the play to develop. He needs to demonstrate an ablity to connect consistently on the midrange passes. He needs to demonstate more ball security. I believe that these items are within his abilities. We haven't seen this from him yet.
2. Another of the Quarterbacks will replace either Nelson or Heaps in the starting rotation. This would be a major vote of unconfidence in the top two quarterbacks. This would indicate an abandoning of the Heaps quarterback of the future model and it is betting on Lark or Munns as the quarterback of the future. I think they are both capable quarterbacks. However, I don't see this happening unless things get really bad.
3. We are stuck with the two quarterback system. I think this is the worst case scenario.

In thinking about this and analyzing this, the best case scenario is for Heaps to put together a few touchdown drives and emerge as the future starting quarterback.
If this doesn't happen, we need #1 above to happen.
Bottom line we can't give Heaps the start until he demonstates to both himself and the team that he's the man that can lead this team to greatness. If he gets the start before that, it will create jealosy and it will ultimately impair his development as a long time starter. Nelson doesn't have the same baggage because he is a junior and there was not so much hype about his arrival. The unity of a football team is a fragile thing.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Re: Starting Nelson

Post by frdbtr »

This is a good post. A voice of reason.

IndiCoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by IndiCoug »

rblack wrote:1. There has been alot of talk about starting Heaps instead of Nelson.
2. BYU has indicated that in spite of everything Nelson will start against Florida.
3. The continued starting of Nelson angers some cougar faithful.

Why does BYU continue to rely on Nelson instead of giving the ball to Heaps?
The answer is very simple. Heaps needs to earn the starting job based on his performance on the field. If Heaps is ever going to be the starter that we need/hope him to be, he must not be handed the position by default. Heaps has not done anything in game situations that earns the starting job. Apparently, it became apparent to the coaching staff during the Air Force game that this was not the game where we were going to have a Heaps coming out party. Alot of people feel that this was an unfair evaluation of where he was at. I trust the coaching staff.
If you read the comments Bronco Mendenhall has made regarding the starting position, he is looking for someone to step up and earn the position. My prediction is that Heaps will be given opportunities in the Florida State game to step up and emerge as the quarterback of the future. If he does not, then there are several possiblities from there.
1. Nelson will step up. In order for Nelson to step up, he needs to hold in the pocket for a few more seconds to allow the play to develop. He needs to demonstrate an ablity to connect consistently on the midrange passes. He needs to demonstate more ball security. I believe that these items are within his abilities. We haven't seen this from him yet.
2. Another of the Quarterbacks will replace either Nelson or Heaps in the starting rotation. This would be a major vote of unconfidence in the top two quarterbacks. This would indicate an abandoning of the Heaps quarterback of the future model and it is betting on Lark or Munns as the quarterback of the future. I think they are both capable quarterbacks. However, I don't see this happening unless things get really bad.
3. We are stuck with the two quarterback system. I think this is the worst case scenario.

In thinking about this and analyzing this, the best case scenario is for Heaps to put together a few touchdown drives and emerge as the future starting quarterback.
Bottom line we can't give Heaps the start until he demonstates to both himself and the team that he's the man that can lead this team to greatness. If he gets the start before that, it will create jealosy and it will ultimately impair his development as a long time starter. Nelson doesn't have the same baggage because he is a junior and there was not so much hype about his arrival. The unity of a football team is a fragile thing.
You're the Lark die-hard aren't you? I really don't know where to start with your post because you're so blatent on what you would prefer to happen (Lark as QB).

#1 --In order for Riley to stay in the pocket and have "presense" he would have to go against everything he has learn to date (tuck and run when you feel pressure). In addition having presense would require alot of coaching and I'm now second guessing Doman and his abilities/judgement. You would also see alot of sacks and fumbles from him trying to "learn" pocket presense. I don't expect to see anything different from Riley and think we have seen his capabilities.
#2 --- will not happen unless there is injury. I really liked Lark out of high school but he's got a case of mission rust he needs to work off.
#3 ---- IMHO, the 2 QB system can work because both qb's bring diferent skill bases but HEAPS should be the one and Neilson should be the situational. I think over the next 3 games it will work its way out that way.

As far as "jealosy" and "impairing", I just don't see it. Heaps already has alot of the team behind him and will win over the "majority" as he is scoring and winning games.
Larks best hope at this point is that Heaps decides to serve a mission. ;)

kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

IndiCoug wrote: You're the Lark die-hard aren't you? I really don't know where to start with your post because you're so blatent on what you would prefer to happen (Lark as QB).

As far as "jealosy" and "impairing", I just don't see it. Heaps already has alot of the team behind him and will win over the "majority" as he is scoring and winning games.
I don't believe he is the Lark die-hard...unless somehow I missed that. Fifthqb is the Lark die-hard.
EDIT- I just went and looked at the last 20 or so posts of rblack and I definitely think you have mistaken identities. rblack has not really posted often if at all on the "qb battle".

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.

IndiCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by IndiCoug »

kiwibacon wrote:
IndiCoug wrote: You're the Lark die-hard aren't you? I really don't know where to start with your post because you're so blatent on what you would prefer to happen (Lark as QB).

I don't believe he is the Lark die-hard...unless somehow I missed that. Fifthqb is the Lark die-hard.
EDIT- I just went and looked at the last 20 or so posts of rblack and I definitely think you have mistaken identities. rblack has not really posted often if at all on the "qb battle".
Oh, sorry about that rblack. I completely took your post out of context. :bug: My Heaps blindness doth show. ;)
I think I'm done posting on the QB situation for awhile.

rblack
Sophomore

Post by rblack »

IndiCoug wrote:
rblack wrote: In thinking about this and analyzing this, the best case scenario is for Heaps to put together a few touchdown drives and emerge as the future starting quarterback.
You're the Lark die-hard aren't you? I really don't know where to start with your post because you're so blatent on what you would prefer to happen (Lark as QB).
I think my statement speaks for itself. "THE BEST CASE SCENARIO IS FOR HEAPS TO PUT TOGETHER A FEW TOUCHDOWN DRIVES AND EMERGE AS THE FUTURE STARTING QUARTERBACK." That is what I want to happen.

rblack
Sophomore

Post by rblack »

mizzoucoug wrote:Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.
How is what I said foolishness? We all know and understand Nelson's weeknesses. We all understand Heaps potential. We want Heaps to develop into a starter. That will most benefit the team in the long run. No one said anything about not giving him the opportunity to develop timing and rhythm. We all agree that the status quo cannot continue. If you're going to blast me for what I said, at least indicate what I said that you disagree with. Bottom line, I want Heaps to emerge as the starter. However, if he does not step up, I hope someone does.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

mizzoucoug wrote:Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.
People on CougarCorner are quite willing to listen and learn from people who know what they are talking about, ala mcgregor, cruiser, hawkwing ( :evil: ). If you find people aren't "learning" from you I wonder what that says.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote:
People on CougarCorner are quite willing to listen and learn from people who know what they are talking about, ala mcgregor, cruiser, hawkwing ( :evil: ). If you find people aren't "learning" from you I wonder what that says.
Where's cruiser? I have never seen him post here. I would love to hear some of his opinions about what is going on. That guy was a true insider.