OT: Alabama/LSU Oversigning is Disgusting

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: OT: Alabama/LSU Oversigning is Disgusting

Post by scott715 »

The kid should sue for damages. He is losing a year of a promised education and he lost chances to go else where. The LOI is a contract with promised from LSU.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

The answer isn't to create an arbitrary annual maximum. What happens if you have 20+ players graduate, 6+ players declare for the NFL draft, and a few guys drop out because of grades or other issues? It's not the annual number, it's however many scholarships that you have available, whether it's 10 or 40 in any given year.

The answer is to punish teams like LSU and Alabama for overcommitting and basically cheating. This should be a SERIOUS recruiting violation. As pointed out, you have a guy who has been committed for over a year and he's pushed aside like a piece of trash. Les Miles KNEW that he had too many players and, forget that he waited until the last minute, he went ahead and told recruit #28 that there was still a spot available. That is a blatant misrepresentation and should result in the loss of, not just one scholarship, but like 10 scholarships...

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

scott715 wrote:The kid should sue for damages. He is losing a year of a promised education and he lost chances to go else where. The LOI is a contract with promised from LSU.

I agree with this. A lawsuit would do wonders for the process. Same with all the Bama kids. Slap those SEC teams around some. I would take a case like that and laugh all the way to the bank. Slam dunk contract case, just need to put a value on damages.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

Lawboy wrote:Slam dunk contract case, just need to put a value on damages.
Agreed. With the way lawsuits go in this country and the amount of money bigtime schools like Alabama and LSU have, I bet he could walk away with a nice chunk of change

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Lawboy wrote:
scott715 wrote:The kid should sue for damages. He is losing a year of a promised education and he lost chances to go else where. The LOI is a contract with promised from LSU.

I agree with this. A lawsuit would do wonders for the process. Same with all the Bama kids. Slap those SEC teams around some. I would take a case like that and laugh all the way to the bank. Slam dunk contract case, just need to put a value on damages.
But what about all the poor athletic program who'd have to pay for damages.

Poor, POOR BC$ schools. How will they survive? :sulk:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

LOL. I guess no one here has ever seen an NLI before. There's no breach of contract case here, because the schools are exercising their right under the contract:
Letter Becomes Null and Void. This NLI shall be declared null and void if any of the following occur:

* This NLI shall be rendered null and void if I am eligible for admission, but the institution named in this document defers admission to a subsequent term. However, this NLI remains binding if I defer my admission.
Until the NCAA comes up with a new NLI form, the schools can pull these shennanigans all they want. It's also worth noting that the NLI has a provision where the athlete acknowledges he is committing to the school and not to the coach and recognizes that coaching changes are common place, so the NLI cuts off that complaint from the athletes as well.

I think it's time the NLI underwent a revision that recognizes the athletes interests as well. These things are very one-sided deals.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

snoscythe wrote: Until the NCAA comes up with a new NLI form, the schools can pull these shennanigans all they want. It's also worth noting that the NLI has a provision where the athlete acknowledges he is committing to the school and not to the coach and recognizes that coaching changes are common place, so the NLI cuts off that complaint from the athletes as well.

I think it's time the NLI underwent a revision that recognizes the athletes interests as well. These things are very one-sided deals.
I don't think this issue has anything to do with the NLI, it is nothing more than a land grab, take as much as you can even if you don't need it and let what you don't use go to waste. I think the NCAA football office, (or lack of it) is sackless, it must be filled with a bunch of frute alums.

Bottom line schools should not be able to offer more than available schollies open, and each commit they get they mark it off until full. I understand things happen, kids quit, become academically ineligible, etc and if that happens then they get the schollie back and can either try to find another kid who is still out there, or award someone on the team who is grey shirting or even a walk on. It's a joke these kids are getting jerked around and these schools are nothing more than a big piece of dog crap.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:LOL. I guess no one here has ever seen an NLI before. There's no breach of contract case here, because the schools are exercising their right under the contract:
Letter Becomes Null and Void. This NLI shall be declared null and void if any of the following occur:

* This NLI shall be rendered null and void if I am eligible for admission, but the institution named in this document defers admission to a subsequent term. However, this NLI remains binding if I defer my admission.
Until the NCAA comes up with a new NLI form, the schools can pull these shennanigans all they want. It's also worth noting that the NLI has a provision where the athlete acknowledges he is committing to the school and not to the coach and recognizes that coaching changes are common place, so the NLI cuts off that complaint from the athletes as well.

I think an enterprising attorney would take this case if La has a "good faith and fair dealing" presumption in thier contracts like California does. In other words, even if the terms of the contract were not technically violated, the actions of the school clearly violated the presumed term of good faith and fair dealing in that the athlete wasn't directly apprised of the fact that he would be one cut off if all of the others didn't come along. Again, he could get some money out of the school,a nd the school would certainly have a black eye to have people testify under oath that they owe no duty to disclose this information to the kids.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

redneckjedi wrote:If I remember right, there was some sort of new rule related this exact thing, but I can't remember the details about what it is and when it goes into effect.
The scholarship limit is 85. The team limit is 105.

The maximum scholarship limit per year is 25. But the NEW maximum CLASS size per year is 29. This leaves room for academic non-qualifiers.

Houston Nutt of Mississippi (and formerly Arkansas) would have class sizes of 40 per year, put 10 kids in JCs, and cut 5 for no reason whatsoever. He caused the new rule. It hasn't stopped Alabama and LSU from screwing good athletes over though. And it didn't keep Nutt from recruiting Jeremiah Masoli from Oregon either.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

This is just preparing kids for the NFL. Here is your contract, IF you make the team (Unga? :blush: :~( ). And if you aren't extra special we won't keep you past your 3rd year, where we need to start paying out pensions on retirements, include you in the HC plan, etc. etc.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: