OT: Alabama/LSU Oversigning is Disgusting

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

OT: Alabama/LSU Oversigning is Disgusting

Post by Mars »

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf-260264

LSU offensive lineman Elliott Porter [was] effectively cut from the roster Tuesday when all 27 Tiger signees showed up for the start of training camp in good legal and academic standing...

"I got called to coach Miles' office. I had no idea it was coming," Porter said of his being asked by LSU to 'grayshirt' this season and re-enroll next year. "He just told me that they didn't have room for me. I moved out of my dorm today and I am now back home trying to figure everything out. It's been a rough 24 hours."

Porter has received a release from LSU and is free to go to any school he chooses. In order to be eligible somewhere else, Porter has to win an appeal... "It's unfair how they told me at the last minute" [Porter said].

According to Rivals, Porter had been committed to LSU since last July, meaning he went an entire year through his senior season, signing day, his high school graduation, an entire summer and move-in day on campus assuming he had a secure position on Les Miles' team. He reportedly turned down other offers from Florida State, Nebraska, Stanford, Texas Tech and a dozen other I-A/FBS schools based on that assumption, only to have the rug pulled out from under him at the last possible second. Again, as far as the NCAA is concerned, this is perfectly on the up-and-up.

Miles at LSU isn't the only one who does this:

http://oversigning.com/testing/

Alabama signed 29 kids this recruiting class when they only had room for 19. Guess what happened to 10 unlucky "student-athletes"? Disgusting.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: OT: Alabama/LSU Oversigning is Disgusting

Post by hawkwing »

The schools should be punished for this.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

hawkwing wrote:The schools should be punished for this.
I 100 percent agree. That is horrible. Recruits beware. Wouldn't happen at byu, that is for sure.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

If I remember right, there was some sort of new rule related this exact thing, but I can't remember the details about what it is and when it goes into effect.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I believe there is a limit to the number of recruits per year, like 25 or something.

Regardless, this needs to get out because it is a joke. so much for a commitment right? Goes both ways, and those schools should have to face schollie restrictions for each kid they do that to.

Bluma
BLUEshirt

Post by Bluma »

Of course they do this to keep other teams from getting the same players. It should be counted as a form of abuse. Luring players with that nice piece of scholarship paper to attract gullible teen football players, and then cutting them before even having their first class or real practice.

The NCAA is a poor governing body though. The individual schools have more clout than them, and anyway the governing boards are usually made up of current or former school presidents.

Bluma
BLUEshirt

Post by Bluma »

Lawboy wrote:I believe there is a limit to the number of recruits per year, like 25 or something.

Regardless, this needs to get out because it is a joke. so much for a commitment right? Goes both ways, and those schools should have to face schollie restrictions for each kid they do that to.
4.5*25=112.5, not 85

The limit should be more like 20 or less. Assuming half of the NCAA FBS players redshirt at some point, it is more like 4.5 years for the average recruiting class span (excluding JC transfers). Granted some quit and drop, but still 5*20=100, so you have an error margin of 15 in the case of losses from transfers, quitting, and even deaths (you can redshirt anyone).

20 is almost enough for a full starting lineup (22) for both offense and defense.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

The rule is 25 because because in some years, you lose underclassmen due to academics, the NFL Draft or legal issues. So they gave wiggle room. If it was even each year, it is 21-22 annually, but things happen. And it is based upon a 4 year graduation cycle, not 5. You do not get an extra year of schollies for a fifth year. You redshirt a guy, just means you carry him 5 years and limit recruiting further for 1 season.

Bluma
BLUEshirt

Post by Bluma »

20 gives wiggle room and prevents coaches from conning and abusing players.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Bluma wrote:20 gives wiggle room and prevents coaches from conning and abusing players.

When you have 85 schollies, 20 a year x4 is not even a full allotment. The BYU class last year had 27 commits, including JC guys,and in 2009 21 commits. So 25 makes sense.