Which QB has improved the most since spring?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Which quarterback will have improved the most?

James Lark
54%
Jake Heaps
46%
Riley Nelson
No votes

Total votes: 13

fifthqb
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Which QB has improved the most since spring?

Post by fifthqb »

We all saw the numbers that were put up by the quarterbacks during spring practice in the 7 on 7 drills. As we finally move into fall camp starting this Saturday (finally) the quarterback race is about to start all over again. So the question that has been in my mind the past week is who has had the greatest opportunity to improve over the summer?

Jake Heaps because he has been able to spend time on campus throwing to the guys and learning the BYU system? Can he increase the edge that he has had on the other QB's? Or will he still be throwing at the same level since he has been throwing straight for years with no time off for a mission?

James Lark started spring practice while only being home for 2 months. I had huge expectations for him and honestly expected him to come away as the number 1 QB from spring drills. He was less then impressive at the start of practice but by the end his numbers looked just as good as Rileys (granted his was probably against the third string defense). Has he had time to shake off all the rust from his mission and is now ready to use his superior strength and size to pull away? Or has he lost his edge for good, or have the others improved just as much?

Riley Nelson, has been with the program for the longest continuous time (Lark had several years before his mission). Has he been able to use his experience and familiarity with his teammates to pull ahead of the other QB's? Or will he just keep playing at the same level which he has shown in spring and in the past?

Some interesting questions. If one Quarterback has improved significantly who is it? Will it be enough to separate himself from the pack?

QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt

Re: Which QB has improved the most since spring?

Post by QuarterbackU »

probably James Nelson :D

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Impossible given the absence of any data over the summer. But the answer might be Lark since he need to get his timing back.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt

Post by QuarterbackU »

I voted Lark. Nelson's improvement at this point should be slow. I think everyone knows what there getting with Riley. I really am starting to believe that Munns and Lark are going to come into camp and make some big time noise. I'm sure they are offended by the lack of respect the media and bloggers are giving them at this point. I saw Munns in the spring game before he went on his mission and I thought he threw the best ball of anyone by far. Max Hall's arm couldn't hold a candle to Munn's arm at that point.

I'm in the Munn's/Heap Camp now just camping away. I hate August.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

put me in the how the hell would i know camp :) I have no idea. i have no inside information that i haven't read online. the players probably know best but i imagine we will see in a few weeks. i sure hope everyobdy isn't awesome. i want someone to separate themselves and become the clear starter. i think by the end of the year/beegining of next year, nelson will be on the three deep though, as uneducated of an opinion that is.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I'd like to submit a write in for the "fifthqb".
Whats going to happen when "there can only be one" shows up? What happened to that guy? He's really going to be confused with five.

fifthqb
BLUEshirt

Post by fifthqb »

I know there is no data, thats why it is a question topic. I was merely asking for what people thought. Everyone makes it out to be a 2 person battle, but if the comments that Nelson and Heaps were both slightly ahead of Lark in spring, and we are to believe that Lark is getting better why is he being discounted? Also, I believe that Heaps is probably going to be even more impressive come Saturday.

I am really excited to see how Munns plays as well, I simply didn't include him because he wasn't in spring camp. I think he will be a in player in the situation as well.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Lark is being discounted because he was significantly behind Heaps and Nelson, not merely slightly back. But considering Bronco hasn't discounted him, it could be he has closed the gap somewhat and that the race may be more wide open than we know.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

If I had to vote for LEAST improved, it would be Nelson. He has been in the program for over a year now, should know the offense by now, and know the personnel. And no pre-mission rust to knock off. He is what he is right now, and his passing and arm strength won't really change. His pocket presence could improve, but not with 7 on 7 drills since there is no pass rush to worry about.

Lark knows the program as well having been with the team pre-mission, but he did need to shake off mission rust. So he had great room to improve in that regard. I am sure he did, too.

Heaps was the new guy. Didn't know the coaches, the playbook, his teammates. Didn't know the speed change from HS to college yet. So he had more to improve on. His physical tools should be there, though, with no excuses. But he has the most areas he could improve. So he is the easy choice for that reason. He is still in need of seasoning.

I'd put Munns in the same position as Lark. All about mission rust. But he should know the playbook, teammates and what coaches want by now.

I think Nelson is in the picture this year due to his experience, but by next year or perhaps even by end of this year, he is like Gaskins and will be #3. I like Heaps and Munns to win those spots.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Lawboy wrote:If I had to vote for LEAST improved, it would be Nelson. He has been in the program for over a year now, should know the offense by now, and know the personnel. And no pre-mission rust to knock off. He is what he is right now, and his passing and arm strength won't really change. His pocket presence could improve, but not with 7 on 7 drills since there is no pass rush to worry about.

Lark knows the program as well having been with the team pre-mission, but he did need to shake off mission rust. So he had great room to improve in that regard. I am sure he did, too.

Heaps was the new guy. Didn't know the coaches, the playbook, his teammates. Didn't know the speed change from HS to college yet. So he had more to improve on. His physical tools should be there, though, with no excuses. But he has the most areas he could improve. So he is the easy choice for that reason. He is still in need of seasoning.

I'd put Munns in the same position as Lark. All about mission rust. But he should know the playbook, teammates and what coaches want by now.

I think Nelson is in the picture this year due to his experience, but by next year or perhaps even by end of this year, he is like Gaskins and will be #3. I like Heaps and Munns to win those spots.
My predication. Heaps becomes the full on starter at some point this year, Lark eventually ends up at safety, and Munns eventually ends up as #2 at qb. Nelson will be used as change of pace qb here and there. Is it friday yet?!!