This Utah Fan's Avatar Says it All...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

This Utah Fan's Avatar Says it All...

Post by Italics »

one of the Yewt fans over on MWCboard has the following quote underneath his avatar...

"I pretty much just sit around and hate BYU all day. Occasionally I will watch the Utes and the Rebels."

I read that and thought, "there you have it: that says it all about Yewt 'fans.' They hate BYU more than they care about liking their own team."

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
scott715
TV Analyst

Re: This Utah Fan's Avatar Says it All...

Post by scott715 »

And what will happen to Utah's fan base if they don't play us for a couple of years? They might lose them all.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

The more I think about it, the more I want he rivalry game to go away for 2-3 years. Let's see how the Utes do without having BYU to hitch itself to. Take off those training wheels and let's see what they do on their own. We all know BYU will do just fine without Utah. But Utah needs BYU, or at least has, to get pumped, create fan interest, etc. Coach McBride used BYU, Urban certainly did, and Coach Whit does as well.

Let's let Utah swim in the PAC-12 a few years and see how they do, then perhaps see about renewing the rivalry game again. I can live without it, that is for sure.

Eastern
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by Eastern »

Why does Utah need BYU? I don't think either of them "needs" the other. Utah holds a decisive advantage in the over all series record. Utah has done what no BSC school has done this decade. They went undefeated twice. Plus they added a Fiesta bowl victory and a Sugar Bowl victory, both blow outs. Adding a full Pac-10 schedule will increase Utah national exposure. I'm not trying to be a Utah cheerleader but I don't get the comment.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Tell me about Utah football in 1970? 1980? 1990? How about 1995? 2000? 2002? Basically, Utah had 1 game to live for pretty much every year from the 1970's until the year 2004. And coincidentally enough, the rise of Utah coincided with the worst football BYU has played in 40 years. And since BYU started to get it back together, won 3 of 4. Seriously, Utah needs BYU because its fans need something to latch onto to locally to hate, and it will have none of that in the PAC-12. No rival, not 1. Utah will be just another game for every other team in that conference, and there will be no passion, no emotion, nothing. new sensations, but let me know how that goes year 2 after it is gone. Which takes us back to Utah football pre-2000. Not a fun place for Ute fan, is it.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Eastern wrote:Why does Utah need BYU? I don't think either of them "needs" the other. Utah holds a decisive advantage in the over all series record. Utah has done what no BSC school has done this decade. They went undefeated twice. Plus they added a Fiesta bowl victory and a Sugar Bowl victory, both blow outs. Adding a full Pac-10 schedule will increase Utah national exposure. I'm not trying to be a Utah cheerleader but I don't get the comment.

Only two Division I-A programs have managed to reach 10+ wins in football and manage to reach the NCAA tournament in basketball 4 consecutive years. Those two programs? BYU and Texas.

BYU has as many top 15 finishes in the last 4 years (3 of them) as Utah does in the ENTIRE 100+ year history of the program.

Utah has 6 top 25 finishes in the entire 100+ year history of the program (that's two more than BYU has had in the last 4 years). BYU's also had 17 top 25 finishes since 1977 (or better than 50% of the time does BYU finished ranked...including finishing ranked the last 4 years consecutively).

Utah has five ten+ win seasons in the history of program. BYU has had 4 consecutive ten win seasons...and 16 of them since 1979.

BYU has more 11+ win seasons in the last 4 years (3 of them) then Utah has had in over 100+ years (two total in 100+ years of playing football for the Utah program).
Utah has three outright conference titles since 1957 (BYU has two in the last 4 years). BYU has 22 conference championships since 1976.
Utah has finished ahead of BYU in the conference standings just one time in the last 5 years in football (and just five times total in the last 40 years). BYU has finished ahead of Utah outright 4 times in the last 5 years and over 30 times in the last 40 years Over 30, that's rediculous!!
In the last 5 years, Utah has finished in the MWC conference as follows: 6th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 3rd. BYU has finished as follows; 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd.
BYU has won 3 of the last 4 and 29 of the last 41 in this series.

But yeah, you did win one good game… Congratulations.

Do you want to stay on football, I have more... Or should we talk about Basketball? Your pick.
Last edited by Brayden Green on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
Eastern wrote:Why does Utah need BYU? I don't think either of them "needs" the other. Utah holds a decisive advantage in the over all series record. Utah has done what no BSC school has done this decade. They went undefeated twice. Plus they added a Fiesta bowl victory and a Sugar Bowl victory, both blow outs. Adding a full Pac-10 schedule will increase Utah national exposure. I'm not trying to be a Utah cheerleader but I don't get the comment.

Only two Division I-A programs have managed to reach 10+ wins in football and manage to reach the NCAA tournament in basketball 4 consecutive years. Those two programs? BYU and Texas.

BYU has as many top 15 finishes in the last 4 years (3 of them) as Utah does in the ENTIRE 100+ year history of the program.

Utah has 6 top 25 finishes in the entire 100+ year history of the program (that's two more than BYU has had in the last 4 years). BYU's also had 17 top 25 finishes since 1977 (or better than 50% of the time does BYU finished ranked...including finishing ranked the last 4 years consecutively).

Utah has five ten+ win seasons in the history of program. BYU has had 4 consecutive ten win seasons...and 16 of them since 1979.

BYU has more 11+ win seasons in the last 4 years (3 of them) then Utah has had in over 100+ years (two total in 100+ years of playing football for the Utah program).
Utah has three outright conference titles since 1957 (BYU has two in the last 4 years). BYU has 22 conference championships since 1976.
Utah has finished ahead of BYU in the conference standings just one time in the last 5 years in football (and just five times total in the last 40 years). BYU has finished ahead of Utah outright 4 times in the last 5 years and over 30 times in the last 40 years Over 30, that's rediculous!!
In the last 5 years, Utah has finished in the MWC conference as follows: 6th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 3rd. BYU has finished as follows; 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd.

Do you want to stay on football, I have more... Or should we talk about Basketball? Your pick.

Did you just cut and paste this from "our" thread? ;)

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

MTM wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:

Did you just cut and paste this from "our" thread? ;)
Umm, almost... :)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Not a "Utah cheerleader"???? Does the term "Utah troll" fit better???? Come on!!! Drop the shenanigans.
:crazy:

1967cougar
Junior

Post by 1967cougar »

Ddawg wrote:
Not a "Utah cheerleader"???? Does the term "Utah troll" fit better???? Come on!!! Drop the shenanigans.
:crazy:

Ban the Troll!!