BYU receiver: "I will be shocked if Heaps doesn't start."

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receiver: "I will be shocked if Heaps doesn't start.

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Hans and Jan had a 20+ minute interview with Coach Mendenhall.

The whole thing was good, but the part that was important to this thread is when talking about Heaps' performance during spring ball. He mentioned that he had to keep reminding himself that he was watching a high school senior and not a rs soph (basically a third year college player).

What was Max Hall when he started his first game for BYU?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receiver: "I will be shocked if Heaps doesn't start.

Post by jonnylingo »

ThrowbackBlue wrote:
kitic77 wrote:If you can't reveal the source, don't post it. It's the single biggest problem in journalism today: anonymous reporting. It is nearly impossible to vet an anonymous source. If he doesn't want you to reveal who he is, then he shouldn't be telling you. As a journalist, it's lazy and poor journalism to not reveal your sources. This isn't Deep Throat and the President breaking the law. This is college football, his identity needn't be protected. If he's afraid his name might get back to the coaches, then he shouldn't be telling you in the first place.

And for the record, he basically said nothing. Certainly nothing more than we already know. He wouldn't be surprised if Riley starts, and he wouldn't be surprised if Heaps starts and he doesn't think Lark and Munns shouldn't be discounted. Gee, isn't that basically what we've all been saying. There are good arguments for just about every QB on the roster and no clear idea as to whom is going to start.

I'm very excited for Apo, you don't get offered by Texas at WR without serious speed and skills.
I'm sorry my journalistic abilities don't live up to your standard. I wonder if you would also question the veracity of similar features found in every issue of ESPN the magazine where 'Player X' reveals insider info about teams, players, coaches, etc. in professional sports. This is an online forum for crying out loud-- take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. I've been a longtime follower of cougarblue/cougar corner and I know all of the regular posters on here. I also despise cougarboard. I'm not out to prove anything and could care less if anybody believes what I post. For those that want info I'll gladly post more

By the way, my friend (or should we call him 'Reciever X'), never asked that I not reveal his name in fear of it getting back to coaches or administrators. Rather, I chose not to reveal out of respect for my friend.

Yes, I know what I posted is not a huge revelation on the situation, but believe it or not, players are still very political in discussing teammates and coaches even to friends (this has been the case of every friend I've had on the team over the years).

I will clarify a couple of points however.

In relation to Heaps being the best QB he's ever been around. He was saying this in the context of those attributes listed mechanics, footwork, motion, accuracy, etc. He wasn't saying Max Hall wasn't accurate or threw a bad ball by any means. He was saying that Jake does all of those things almost effortlessly and throws a very good ball as a result.

For the record, 'Reciever X' never played with John Beck but I will personally attest to John's accuracy and arm strength. I've played catch with Beck (both baseball and football) and I was almost scared to catch a ball from him it was coming so fast. One of the funniest/coolest things I've ever seen involved Beck's arm strength and accuracy. We were playing kickball for FHE, I was in left field, Beck was playing 3rd base. A girl came up to kick and laid a slow roller down the 3rd base line. Beck charged at it and I remember thinking there's no way we're getting her out. So Beck charges it, fields it cleanly, and throws a laser towards first. Not only did the ball hit the girl in stride right before she stepped on first, but the impact on her shoulder sent her flying to the ground. It was incredible!

Back to the issue at hand.....
My friend essentially told me all the receivers like catching passes from Jake the most, he's the best fit for our system, and he would like him throwing the ball behind center come gametime. He also liked the idea of Nelson rotating in on option or wildcat plays to mix things up a bit.

I forgot to mention. I asked if Jake is a prima donna or has any sense of entitlement to which he vehemently responded 'No, he's the exact opposite.' He said Jake knows he's good, and he's confident, but he's humble about it. He feels he's using his abilities to gain their trust, but never puts himself above his teammates and pretty much acts like any other freshman na dis eager to learn and earn his playing time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Kitic and Sno are just extra sensitive when people post anything positive about heaps. They see it as reflecting negative on their guy, nelson. They are 'antifreshmanhypeites'. :P