Kansas article on BYU Invite

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Kansas article on BYU Invite

Post by Cougarpoke »

Someone randomly sent me this article via email. I thought it was going to be another lame article about BYU and their chances of getting into the BIG 12 and how it isn't likely. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It is a well written article that makes a great point as to why BYU would get invited. Mainly TV and BYU's new found ability to broadcast 4 HD channels. Very interesting read. After reading the article and thinking about Holmoe's recent comments, it makes sense that the BIG 12 would invite BYU...we will see.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4231 ... invite-byu

P.S. Sorry if this article has previously been posted.

Mingjai
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Kansas article on BYU Invite

Post by Mingjai »

Cougarpoke wrote:Someone randomly sent me this article via email. I thought it was going to be another lame article about BYU and their chances of getting into the BIG 12 and how it isn't likely. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It is a well written article that makes a great point as to why BYU would get invited. Mainly TV and BYU's new found ability to broadcast 4 HD channels. Very interesting read. After reading the article and thinking about Holmoe's recent comments, it makes sense that the BIG 12 would invite BYU...we will see.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4231 ... invite-byu

P.S. Sorry if this article has previously been posted.
With BYU's new found ability to broadcast 4 HD channels, I wonder if BYU will find a way to broadcast beer ads. Otherwise, I don't see how this will appeal to the Big 12.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Well, I think the way this article has been posted on bleacherreport is a bit misleading.

Somehow it got posted under Kansas in the college football section, but if you look at the author's profile, he's a BYU homer all the way, with no listed connections to Kansas or the Big XII.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/125371-gene-slater

While I agree with what the guy's saying, just realize that Gene is a BYU fan trying to peddle BYU to the Big XII, and not a Big XII fan lobbying for expansion.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

It seems to me if just the equipment is what is lacking that another person for 70 million or so would be quick to come up with that. Is it really that difficult to get those capabilities if that kind of money is involved? I am assuming it is given the fact that the Big10 was willing to give up that kind of money to just have the partner use their equipment for them but it seems to me like it is more than equipment and probably more do with connections and other stuff.

I wonder how much sense this article makes or if there is more to the story. I am not nearly educated enough to understand. But all things equal, if it is true, it is VERY compelling. I just am very skeptical about it.

the beer ad issues would probably be solved by BYU simply leasing the equipment to the Big12 but under the condition that they are added to the league.

Another poster on a different board brought up the fact that byu's nonprofit status may cause problems with that approach as well.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I have been wrestling with the non-profit piece. Other colleges are non-profit and they make a lot of money on football. It might be okay to televise sports with advertising. KBYU is a non-profit/PBS channel. It could be limited but they could create a new channel. But then you have to get the cable/satellite to pick it up.

Y12
Senior

Post by Y12 »

snoscythe wrote:Well, I think the way this article has been posted on bleacherreport is a bit misleading.

Somehow it got posted under Kansas in the college football section, but if you look at the author's profile, he's a BYU homer all the way, with no listed connections to Kansas or the Big XII.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/125371-gene-slater

While I agree with what the guy's saying, just realize that Gene is a BYU fan trying to peddle BYU to the Big XII, and not a Big XII fan lobbying for expansion.
BYU fan or not, he doesn't seem to understand how big of a deal the beer commercials would be. I think that could be a deal breaker. BYU/Church will stand for priciples always, and something like this could make the difference.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

scott715 wrote:I have been wrestling with the non-profit piece. Other colleges are non-profit and they make a lot of money on football. It might be okay to televise sports with advertising. KBYU is a non-profit/PBS channel. It could be limited but they could create a new channel. But then you have to get the cable/satellite to pick it up.
Yeah. The constraint isn't with the institution--you can be a non-profit and still make money, you just have to reinvest it into the school somehow.

The non-profit issue is with BYU-TV. If they start selling ads etc., the channel itself will lose it's federal protection and will likely be kicked to the curb by most cable/satellite providers.

If BYU is going to do anything broadcasting sports, they'll have to either (a) do it not-for-profit through BYU-TV and keep the distribution high, or (b) start a new network from the ground up.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

What if KBYU started to ask for money to be carried by the providers because they now carry sports? There would be a lot of money left on the table with no commercials. They could have some sponsors but that is just small change.

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

Y12 wrote:BYU fan or not, he doesn't seem to understand how big of a deal the beer commercials would be. I think that could be a deal breaker. BYU/Church will stand for priciples always, and something like this could make the difference.
"Yep"

I'm now starting to believe that beer ads may be a non-issue, for one reason--the Big Ten Network doesn't run beer ads. I started thinking that I don't remember seeing beer ads on BTN, and did a little research. Apparently BTN doesn't run beer ads because beer is inconsistent with the Big Ten's image. I guess the Conference big-wigs don't go to Madison much...

Anyway, if the Big Ten can get big bucks from a network that doesn't advertise alcohol, so can the Big 12.