Washington Dismisses Starting TE

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Washington Dismisses Starting TE

Post by Mars »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h ... huski.html

"Tight end Kavario Middleton has been dismissed from the University of Washington football team for what the school has termed "a violation of team rules.'' A school spokesman said that neither the school, nor head coach Steve Sarkisian, will have any further comment. It is unclear what may have led to the dismissal. Middleton, a graduate of Lakes High and one of the team's top recruits for the Class of 2008, had been attending the team's regular summer workout sessions as recently as last week.

Middleton, who would have been a junior in 2010, started 11 of 12 games for the Huskies in 2009 and was the leading receivers among tight ends with 26 receptions for 257 yards and three touchdowns --- the most catches for a tight end since Kevin Ware's 42 in 2002. He had fallen to second team at the end of spring practice, however, behind junior Chris Izbicki, and the battle for that spot figured to be one of the most heated of fall camp. Middleton was one of the most highly-touted recruits of the Class of 2008, named a Parade All-American and the No. 4 tight end in the country by SuperPrep.

With Middleton gone, Izbicki will enter camp as the starter and UW will suddenly be thin at a spot that looked like it could be a position of strength. Also listed as tight ends are redshirt freshman Marlion Barnett, walk-on Marek Domanski and true freshman Michael Hartvigson. Also a possibility is Dorson Boyce, who came to UW as a JC transfer tight end in 2009 but was moved to fullback in the spring.

UPDATE, 3:15 p.m. --- One thing I can add is that this does not appear to be related to anything legally. Middleton's legal record does not show anything significant.

UPDATE 3:30 p.m. --- A couple more things to add. Also doesn't sound as if it was academic. People have asked about drug tests, but UW is not allowed to randomly test for drugs per state rules.

... Sarkisian also caught reporters a bit off-guard last spring when he said that Izbicki was the starter at tight end, saying he hoped it might challenge Middleton to improve his game."

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Re: Washington Dismisses Starting TE

Post by Italics »

well at least Washington has an excuse now...

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

Maybe he had sex with his girlfriend?

Loyal Strong True
gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

In fairness, as most articles have said, Middleton had already lost the starting spot to Izbicki. But they will certainly be hurting for depth. And it's one more athlete they won't have on the field.

Lots of people have worried about the UW game, but when you really look at the individual matchups, I think most if not all clearly favor BYU, though I admit, I don't really know their team that well. Most people just expect them to dramatically improve from the over the past two years but it's usually pretty rare for a BCS team to make that kind of jump in such a short period. It generally takes four to five years to really turn around a program, especially one that went winless just two seasons ago.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

gmj81 wrote: In fairness, as most articles have said, Middleton had already lost the starting spot to Izbicki.
For disciplinary reasons, not on-the-field reasons.

Middleton was the #4 rated TE nationally in 2008. Do you know who was #5? Austin Holt.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
PurpleReign
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by PurpleReign »

Its unfortunate for him because he has so much natural athletic talent, but he lacks the mental desire or will power to fully use his physical gifts.

His issue has always been effort and work ethic.

His high school coach supports Sarks decision.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

"All I saw was purple. No jerseys, no numbers, just purple." - Todd Marinovich, USC QB, about the University of Washington defense following a 31-0 loss on September 22nd, 1990.
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

PurpleReign wrote:Its unfortunate for him because he has so much natural athletic talent, but he lacks the mental desire or will power to fully use his physical gifts.

His issue has always been effort and work ethic.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
so basically... he'd be a superstar at USC?

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

gmj81 wrote:In fairness, as most articles have said, Middleton had already lost the starting spot to Izbicki. But they will certainly be hurting for depth. And it's one more athlete they won't have on the field.

Lots of people have worried about the UW game, but when you really look at the individual matchups, I think most if not all clearly favor BYU, though I admit, I don't really know their team that well. Most people just expect them to dramatically improve from the over the past two years but it's usually pretty rare for a BCS team to make that kind of jump in such a short period. It generally takes four to five years to really turn around a program, especially one that went winless just two seasons ago.
True, but two years ago when they won like one game, we squeaked by them. They are better now and we are 'reloading'. I am worried.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

jonnylingo wrote:
gmj81 wrote:In fairness, as most articles have said, Middleton had already lost the starting spot to Izbicki. But they will certainly be hurting for depth. And it's one more athlete they won't have on the field.

True, but two years ago when they won like one game, we squeaked by them. They are better now and we are 'reloading'. I am worried.
That was at UW and the refs called phantom holds on BYU all game long. I think UW had a total of 30-40 penalty yards the entire game. It wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated, UW could not stop Harvey. The only thing that could was those phantom calls. For whatever reason the Pac-10 wants their refs at their non-con games at home and will allow MWC refs at our place.

Washington will be a little better, but they're still a .500 team with a lot of press and a very athletic quarterback that has problems with accuracy. This is no juggernaut coming to Provo.

If Kaveinga gets eligible for 2010; we have our answer for Polk. And we already know our secondary is light years better than the secondary we had against UW last time.

playing in provo - advantage BYU

MWC refs - advantage BYU (or at least no Pac 10 refs)
when BYU plays Pac 10 teams without Pac 10 refs, we have dominated at times. (ucla 59-0, Oregon 38-8, Oregon State 44-20 (and OSU scored most of their points after the game was out of reach) Arizona 20-7) etc. etc.

Kaveinga vs Polk - advantage BYU

our experienced secondary (they all can tackle) vs Locker - advantage BYU

Jaime Hill having all summer to prepare for UW - advantage BYU (just ask Oklahoma)

btw UW lurkers, we didnt' have Harvey Unga for that game either and it was played in OUs backyard... not in front of 65,000 BYU fans.

UW has the athletes to win this game, but nothing they've done in the last 3-4 years leads me to believe they'll be the favorites in Provo.