Drew's preseason All MWC picks

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Drew's preseason All MWC picks

Post by CougarPeasant »

Jay does a good job.

link
A week from today, the Mountain West Conference football media days will kick off at the Red Rock Resort in Las Vegas with the release of the preseason poll and the preseason all-conference team.
Coaches and two players from all nine MWC teams will be at the meetings; BYU is taking offensive tackle Matt Reynolds and safety Andrew Rich this year.
It will be Rich's second straight visit (he was there with tight end Dennis Pitta last year). BYU fans are probably hoping this will be the first of two visits for Reynolds; however, here's a strong possibility that the preseason All-American will forego his senior season and enter his name in the NFL draft next year.
I was invited to submit a ballot for the second-straight year, and now seems like a good time to fill you in on how I voted, and why, in some instances

Team Order of Finish:
1. TCU -- more than 16 returning starters are back for a team that dominated the league last year
2. Utah -- schedule, schedule, schedule. The Utes get BYU and TCU at home this year, have the offensive weapons to make some noise
3. BYU -- Cougars have a green QB, have to play at Air Force, TCU and Utah, and their confidence could be nicked by a tough non-conference schedule
4. Air Force -- Gets Utah and BYU at home, and many say this will be Falcons' best team in last 10 years
5. Wyoming
6. San Diego State
7. Colorado State
8. New Mexico
9. UNLV

Offensive Player of the Year: Andy Dalton, QB, TCU (easiest pick of the bunch)
Defensive Player of the Year: Reggie Rembert, DB, Air Force (TCU and Utah have better defenses, but Rembert will make the most plays for his team).
Special Teams Player of the Year: Jeremy Kerley, KR, TCU (another easy pick, although teams will kick away from him all year).

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE
QB -- Andy Dalton, TCU
RB -- Eddie Wide, Utah
RB -- Matt Asiata, Utah (even though he will have to share the ball with Wide; there's not a lot of other candidates around the league)
WR -- Vincent Brown, SDSU (easy pick; a gamebreaker)
WR -- Jereme Brooks, Utah (slight edge over BYU's McKay Jacobson, who'll face more double-teaming)
TE -- Eric Peltz, Colorado State (Very few other options; BYU dominates this position, but all its TEs are unproven at this point)
OL -- Matt Reynolds, BYU
OL -- Marcus Cannon, TCU
OL -- Caleb Schlauderaff, Utah
OL -- Jake Kirkpatrick, TCU
OL -- Braden Hansen, BYU

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE
DB -- Reggie Rembert, AFA
DB -- Andrew Rich, BYU
DB -- Brandon Burton, Utah
DB -- Chris Prosinski, Wyoming
DL -- Johnathan Rainey, New Mexico
DL -- Wayne Daniels, TCU
DL -- Cory Grant, TCU
LB -- Brian Hendricks, Wyomine
LB -- Tank Carder, TCU
LB -- Carmen Messina, New Mexico
LB -- Jordan Pendleton, BYU
SPECIAL TEAMS
Punter -- Briah Stahovich, SDSU
Kicker -- Joe Phillips, Utah
Returner -- Jeremy Kerley, TCU
On another post, I asked if BYU could get 3 players on the defensive 1st team. Well, he's got two and I suspect that Logan will find a place on the team too. That would be 3. Here's hoping they make it so.

As for the offensive team, I really expect MJ to break through and make the first team. Also, one of the TEs will stand out as well.

Mars
Retired

Re: Drew's preseason All MWC picks

Post by Mars »

Here's a Utah version: http://utah.scout.com/2/985368.html

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Mars wrote:
Biased much?!!!! He could have saved us all a lot of time by just saying every :utard: player is on one of the three teams.

Oh and I didn't know who Trask Iosefa was for BYU. Turns out, he's an Aztec, not a Cougar.

I guess he feels now that the 'tards are BCS bound, they are superior than the other teams in the MWC.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

CougarPeasant wrote:
Mars wrote: Here's a Utah version: http://utah.scout.com/2/985368.html
Biased much?!!!! He could have saved us all a lot of time by just saying every :utard: player is on one of the three teams. Oh and I didn't know who Trask Iosefa was for BYU. Turns out, he's an Aztec, not a Cougar.
I caught that too. But seriously, McKay Jacobsen, 3rd Team Offense? I don't think so.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

CougarPeasant wrote:
Mars wrote:
Biased much?!!!!
First off, 2 Ute O-lineman on the 1st team is a crime. They lost their best lineman to the draft, and that kid was GOOD. Yet these guys were so good they got stuffed at the goalline and short yardage several times all year (See SJSU game, Oregon game, BYU game, etc) and totally stunk it up in short yardage. No way does Utah have even 1 lineman good enough this year to be first team. That O-line will be a weakness for them.

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

Lawboy wrote:First off, 2 Ute O-lineman on the 1st team is a crime. No way does Utah have even 1 lineman good enough this year to be first team. That O-line will be a weakness for them.

:lol:

C'mon man. I understand your loathing of all things Utah and I find it humorous but they've got two on the Outland Watch list (2 of the 5 MWC guys) and the top JC OL coming in.