TCU-Texas Bait and Switch

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

TCU-Texas Bait and Switch

Post by snoscythe »

I get Dallas sports radio on the AM here in Waco, and this afternoon I was listening as the broadcast team shared with their heavily Horn fan audience that TCU was ranked today by some website as having the 5th weakest non-conference schedule in the country.

You should have heard the Horn fans calling in to pile on. They called TCU every name in the book. Cowardly, isolationist, the Switzerland of college football, and on and on. If that's all you're going to do OOC, you don't deserve to be in a BCS conference.

After about 20 minutes of the TCU-pinata game, they shared the rest of the rankings. #1 weakest OOC the upcoming year? Texas.

The phones went silent for a few minutes. No one was calling in.

Then, the phones lit up again--Texas is just doing the smart thing to get to another National Championship. Whoever made these rankings is the stupidest man alive.

It was classic the way they baited them into that one.

Just FYI, here are the OOC games for both teams this upcoming year:

UT:
@ Rice
Wyoming
UCLA
Fl. Atlantic

TCU:
Or. St. (@ Jerry's House)
Tenn. Tech
Baylor
SMU

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: TCU-Texas Bait and Switch

Post by scott715 »

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

How does TCU has that weak of a OOC schedule with SMU, baylor and Ore State? All 3 were bowl teams last year? I do not buy that crap for a second.

And Texas plays 2 bowls teams from last year. I say the person doing the talking did not do their research.

That list was horrible. Ohio State was #1 by far, and some SEC teams needed to be on that list. Opinion piece not supported by last years stats.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Look at the title of the report.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

scott715 wrote:Look at the title of the report.
I understand the double standard. Just saying the report they used as the basis of the conversation was flawed in the extreme.

YBrit
All-American

Post by YBrit »

When TCU beats them in a bowl and BYU beats them next year, I'd like to hear their comments then.

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

WOW! That was the dumbest list and explanations I have ever seen. I think I lost some I.Q. points just from reading it. They have BSU with a weak schedule when they play @WY they should blow them out but still a hostile environment, Or St. who is one of the favored to win the Pac-0 next season, and @VT (yes it is a home game just like Dallas was for OK last year- a "neutral site would be like Dallas or Omaha not a stones throw from VT). But I have to say TX, then Ohio St. and 3rd NEB from teams on this list. I would probably throuw Miss. and Ark on the list in the top 5.

BYUgrad03
BLUEshirt

Post by BYUgrad03 »

Interestingly, I see Baylor ,then SMU, not Oregon St. as TCU's biggest OOC tests. With Robert Griffin back at qb for Baylor, they should make to a bowl game for the first time in years, and will give some opposing defenses fits. SMU is a metroplex rivalry game for TCU, and June Jones has proven he can coach a little.

BTW, in regards to that article and the title of this post, I don't understand Texas or TCU being where they are. Texas has at least 9 possible bowl teams on their overall schedule, TCU has 7, maybe 8. That being said, can anyone possibly determine how weak someone's schedule really is at the beginning of the season? Last year mid-season, many were dubbing the PAC-10 as the best conference because of the competition, and the way Oregon was playing. The Pac-10's bowl record, 2-5. The media is just as fickle, bias and uninformed as the fans can be.

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Sno, that's pretty funny. Talking about "eating crow". Bet those birds are an endangered species now, at least in Texas.