Kaveinga awaits NCAA decision

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byutx
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Kaveinga awaits NCAA decision

Post by byutx »

Not to toot my own horn on this subject, but:
http://deepshadesofblue.com/byus-kavein ... of+Blue%29

byutx
All-American

Re: Kaveinga awaits NCAA decision

Post by byutx »

Could you imagine a starting LB corps made up of three 4-star LB's and Jordan Pendleton (3-stars as a safety prospect)?

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I am not going to get my hopes up on this one. I doubt they allow it. But man, if they did, we would have some real athleticism at the linebacker spot. I sure hope they do.

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

I would be surprised if they allowed it since he left before the NCAA sanctions were handed down.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

MTM wrote:I would be surprised if they allowed it since he left before the NCAA sanctions were handed down.
Why should that matter, really? Because someone left a few weeks before the ruling came down means they get punished?

BYU needs Kaveinga this year. I would be shocked if the NCAA denies this as they really nuked USC and have let players go easily, so why not allow him to play.

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

Lawboy wrote:
MTM wrote:I would be surprised if they allowed it since he left before the NCAA sanctions were handed down.
Why should that matter, really? Because someone left a few weeks before the ruling came down means they get punished?

BYU needs Kaveinga this year. I would be shocked if the NCAA denies this as they really nuked USC and have let players go easily, so why not allow him to play.
He was not a USC player when the sanctions were handed down. He was released from USC in December. He had already enrolled at BYU.

I don't think the NCAA will recognize him as a casualty of the USC program as he had left 6 months prior that's all.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

MTM wrote:
He was not a USC player when the sanctions were handed down. He was released from USC in December. He had already enrolled at BYU.

I don't think the NCAA will recognize him as a casualty of the USC program as he had left 6 months prior that's all.

If he sits a year, he is a casualty. If he gets to play, equal footing with the rest that left free and clear. It happened in the same academic year the sanctions came down is all I know, and he would have been a junior this year. So I would expect the NCAA to grant that waiver and let him play now.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

MTM wrote:
Lawboy wrote:

I don't think they will either, but they should. His argument is simple, I saw the writing on the wall, i am not stupid, I just left early knowing it was coming. I was going to sit around and wait. I hope he made that argument because if that had a part to do with his decision then I think it would be unfair to not let him.

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

jonnylingo wrote:
MTM wrote:
Lawboy wrote:

I don't think they will either, but they should. His argument is simple, I saw the writing on the wall, i am not stupid, I just left early knowing it was coming. I was going to sit around and wait. I hope he made that argument because if that had a part to do with his decision then I think it would be unfair to not let him.
Agreed. He can argue that the situation at USC was so bad that he was willing to forgo a year of eligibility just so he could play somewhere else. It just so happens that the NCAA agreed with him but made their decision a few weeks slower than Kaveinga did. I see this as a slam dunk.

Also, I just heard USC is giving Bush's Heisman back?!?!?!?

Loyal Strong True
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

BerliNY wrote:
Also, I just heard USC is giving Bush's Heisman back?!?!?!?
They gave it back today. Same day reports came out that AD garrett, a USC heisman winner, got canned and replaced by Pat Haden, a 2-time NC winner while QB at USC. Apparently, they love their former athletes as AD's.