Glenn Beck Conference

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Glenn Beck Conference

Post by Ddawg »

Hey there - I drove up yesterday from L.A. w/ my son for the Glenn Beck Conference in SLC today. Don't know exactly what to expect - but my son is excited. He's 17 & really wanted me to bring him. So - I hope it's entertaining & informative.

Anybody else in the SLC area going??
8)

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Glenn Beck Conference

Post by snoscythe »

Ddawg wrote:Hey there - I drove up yesterday from L.A. w/ my son for the Glenn Beck Conference in SLC today. Don't know exactly what to expect - but my son is excited. He's 17 & really wanted me to bring him. So - I hope it's entertaining & informative.

8)
Lawboy may or may not be there. He's a marginal Beck supporter...

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote:
Ddawg wrote:Hey there - I drove up yesterday from L.A. w/ my son for the Glenn Beck Conference in SLC today. Don't know exactly what to expect - but my son is excited. He's 17 & really wanted me to bring him. So - I hope it's entertaining & informative.

8)
Thx Sno. I just walked in the door. After the conference - spent the evening w/ family. The conference exceeded my expectations. I admit - I did not know what to expect. I like Glenn beck - but sometimes - he's a little corny. Glenn, all the speakers - top notch!! Sensational. A great experience. Well worth it.
:D 8)

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

snoscythe wrote:

8)

That is actually pretty funny. My dad and one brother love Beck, but I find him to be a bit of a clown myself. He has some great points occasionally, but his theatrics are a bit too much for me. He is more showman than reporter to me.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Lawboy wrote:He is more showman than reporter to me.
And he would agree with you. He does not claim to be a reporter or a journalist.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Lawboy wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

8)

That is actually pretty funny. My dad and one brother love Beck, but I find him to be a bit of a clown myself. He has some great points occasionally, but his theatrics are a bit too much for me. He is more showman than reporter to me.
Lawdawg - That's funny - until this weekend - I agree w/ you 100%. Actually, I wouldn't even watch Glenn Beck. I thought he was a Clownish Oaf. A light seeker who threw verbal hand grenades and mugged for the TV.

I went to the conference because my son wanted to so much. Well - my eyes were opened. After listening to Beck live & getting a chance to experience him live. My opinion changed completely. He's a solid guy. He deals w/ serious topics - and he is serious. But, his basic personality is fun & he's a prankster.

On the TV show, I thought he clowns too much. In person, his complete personality is shown - and he's more complex.

He's smart, informed, committed to traditional American principles & the Christian values this Country was founded on.

Glenn Beck won me over - and I was a real skeptic. I really enjoyed the conference & Glenn Beck.

If I knew you were in the area Lawdawg I would've bought you a double - double @ In-N-Out!!
Last edited by Ddawg on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

The only thing people forget about GB is that he is a self-proclaimed "entertainer". He's not a journalist, he's not even a news-caster, but that line grows extremely blurry around him.

I found that when I used to listen to him, my blood pressure would rise and I felt like the government was collapsing around me. I don't need to be that paranoid or that "entertained".

That's not to say he's wrong per-se either, but as an entertainer, you have to keep in mind that as honest and sincere as we would like him to be, he's not bound by the same standards. Again, not to say that he's doing anything wrong, or to even say that his influence isn't a good thing for this country. BUT

Beck is the new white-man's Oprah. Here's some of the influence that this entertainer wields, and its a bit scary:
http://www.freestaterevolution.com/?p=990

he just makes me nervous. Nervous that he's right, nervous that he's wrong.