Kaveinga

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kaveinga

Post by Lawboy »

I got Jay Drew on the Kaveinga issue, and he is looking into it. I emailed him asking if he knew the answer and he said his contacts at BYU right now are all on vacation, but he will look into this as well. So hopefully we can get some clarity soon on this. Either way, I suppose we will know by the time fall camp begins.

byutx
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byutx »

Lawboy wrote:I got Jay Drew on the Kaveinga issue, and he is looking into it. I emailed him asking if he knew the answer and he said his contacts at BYU right now are all on vacation, but he will look into this as well. So hopefully we can get some clarity soon on this. Either way, I suppose we will know by the time fall camp begins.
Nice.

bostoncoug
BLUEshirt

Post by bostoncoug »

Lawboy wrote:A guy in my ward works for BYU in the AD on NCAA Compliance. If anything is going on here wit hKaveinga, he will know, and I am going to corner him Sunday at church. Will also ask him about schollies. I had always thought that if a player qualified for an academic scholarship, it did not count against the football schollies. Will confirm that.
I seem to remember a story that Kavienga was walking with Bronco at the vegas bowl, and Bronco telling Kavienga that there wasn't any scholorships available and that he would have to walk on. I don't have a link to that story. Perhaps things have changed since then?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

A couple of guys have left the program, like Malosi Te'o and the Edwards kid, so I think a couple opened up. Plus, I think Uona wanted in so bad he was willing to go on his own dime.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

Lawboy wrote:A couple of guys have left the program, like Malosi Te'o and the Edwards kid, so I think a couple opened up. Plus, I think Uona wanted in so bad he was willing to go on his own dime.
I don't remember hearing about Edwards leaving. What's the story there?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I was probably wrong saying Edwards. Just recall one other player leaving in the spirng, along with the recent potential departure for Malosi te'o.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

byutx wrote:
Lawboy wrote:I got Jay Drew on the Kaveinga issue, and he is looking into it. I emailed him asking if he knew the answer and he said his contacts at BYU right now are all on vacation, but he will look into this as well. So hopefully we can get some clarity soon on this. Either way, I suppose we will know by the time fall camp begins.
Nice.
Nice to be connected!

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Lawboy wrote:I was probably wrong saying Edwards. Just recall one other player leaving in the spirng, along with the recent potential departure for Malosi te'o.

Did you mean Murphy???

Anyways, it would be great to get Kav on the field this season, like when Tialavia (sp?) ended up leaving AFTER the LV Bowl, though he was planning to leave before the season started.

But if it is a BYU request, it will be denied by the NCAA. :utard:

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

CougarPeasant wrote:
Lawboy wrote:I was probably wrong saying Edwards. Just recall one other player leaving in the spirng, along with the recent potential departure for Malosi te'o.

Did you mean Murphy???

Anyways, it would be great to get Kav on the field this season, like when Tialavia (sp?) ended up leaving AFTER the LV Bowl, though he was planning to leave before the season started.

But if it is a BYU request, it will be denied by the NCAA. :utard:
A lot of truth there - NCAA bias against BYU - it's been perceived for years.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

For the record, I don't think the people in charge of these decisions have any major bias toward BYU. I've been told by people that work on BYU's compliance issues that BYU tends to be completely honest in its applications for hardship waivers whereas the practice everywhere else is to fudge all over in any gray area possible. Also, the NCAA has a legitimate purpose in getting kids to graduate quicker than 7 or 8 years. That's why RM's rarely get the waiver unless they didn't play or gray-shirted before their mission. For this reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kaveinga be allowed to play this year.