One Month until camp starts

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
idahocougarfan
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

One Month until camp starts

Post by idahocougarfan »

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=11448219

This is Greg Wrubell's blog today. Includes ten questions going into camp this year.

"Here are ten questions to consider in the month-long run-up to camp:

1) We'll start with the gimme: Will true freshman Jake Heaps emerge as the starting quarterback?

2) Which of the true tailbacks (J.J. DiLuigi, Joshua Quezada, Drew Phillips and A.J. Moore) will get the nod in place of Harvey Unga? Note: five other backs should be considered either combo backs (Bryan Kariya, Mike Hague, David Foote) or fullbacks (Algie Brown, Zed Mendenhall).

3) Who will be the top tight end? Six players are in the mix, including return missionaries Austin Holt and Devin Mahina--both of them prized recruits in 2008. Mahina had the benefit of a strong spring.

4) Will we see the return of the slot receiver? The true slot ("H") receiver essentially disappeared with Nate Meikle's departure after the 2006 season, but the "H" could be back in 2010, with McKay Jacobson looking like an ideal fit for the position.

5) Is this BYU's deepest-ever corps of outside receivers? O'Neill Chambers, Spencer Hafoka and Luke Ashworth bring the experience, while Ross Apo, Cody Hoffman and Jordan Smith (all of them at 6'4") bring the potential.

6) While four starters return on the offensive line, who will end up where? LT Matt Reynolds and LG Braden Hansen are locks for their respective positions, with holdovers Terence Brown and Nick Alletto both able to play at multiple spots up front. BYU does need to replace departed center R.J. Willing, with Houston Reynolds among the prime candidates.

7) With Romney Fuga expected to retain his starting NT position, who will grab the end spots in the 3-4? Vic So'oto should be a favorite at RE, but Thomas Bryson and Tayo Fabuluje are up-and-comers. At LE, Matt Putnam has the most experience, but Eathyn Manumaleuna returns from his mission, while freshman Graham Rowley has the looks of a player who could one day develop into an all-league performer.

8 ) With Jordan Pendleton a lock at strongside linebacker, who will occupy the other three LB spots? Inside, Shane Hunter and Brandon Ogletree return the most snaps, but newcomers Zac Stout and Aveni Leung-Wai are bound to make some noise, while Austen Jorgensen (11 gp as a freshman) returns from his mission. Freshman Collin Keoshian is also in the mix. At weakside, freshman Kyle Van Noy could end up winning the job from returners Jordan Atkinson and Jameson Frazier.

9) Who takes over for Scott Johnson as the secondary's "quarterback" at free safety? Juniors Steven Thomas and Travis Uale are the most veteran replacement candidates, with converted wideout Landon Jaussi and freshman Kori Gaines expected to compete. The other safety spot is occupied by senior Andrew Rich, with Jray Galea'i coming off a redshirt season and expected to back up at Kat while able to cross over and play free.

10) Who will be the next best corner, if either Brian Logan (field) or Brandon Bradley (boundary) should go down? Corby Eason, Robbie Buckner and Lee Aguirre have taken the most snaps, but DeQuan Everett comes to BYU as a late juco transfer expected to compete for playing time."

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Re: One Month until camp starts

Post by Lawboy »

idahocougarfan wrote:http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=11448219

6) While four starters return on the offensive line, who will end up where? LT Matt Reynolds and LG Braden Hansen are locks for their respective positions, with holdovers Terence Brown and Nick Alletto both able to play at multiple spots up front. BYU does need to replace departed center R.J. Willing, with Houston Reynolds among the prime candidates.
I think a HUGE assumption is being made here about Matt Reynolds. Yes, he is our best lineman. But he may not be playing LT. Not if Riley Nelson starts. If Riley starts. the blind side spot will be covered by the RT, so I would expect Reynolds to switch sides. For fall camp, that will be an interesting thing to look at, if you ask me. If Reynolds stays at LT, I think that means Heaps starts. If he goes to RT, I think Bronco is leaning towards Nelson.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Wrubell is awesome.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Greg Wrubell wrote:http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=11448219

This is Greg Wrubell's blog today. Includes ten questions going into camp this year.

"Here are ten questions to consider in the month-long run-up to camp:
For the record, I'm a Greg Wrubell fan. He is a bit of a homer and at times my feed the hype machine a bit too much. But he is also very good at what he does. HIs stats are sound. His takes are sound. He cares about his job and takes it seriously. he provides some of the best football and basketball coverage out there. So here are my answers to his 10 questions.
Greg Wrubell wrote:1) We'll start with the gimme: Will true freshman Jake Heaps emerge as the starting quarterback?
No. I think Nelson starts against Washington. I don't think the coaches can make a wrong choice when it comes to the QB position. I think we'll win the same number of games regardless of who is taking the snaps.
Greg Wrubell wrote:2) Which of the true tailbacks (J.J. DiLuigi, Joshua Quezada, Drew Phillips and A.J. Moore) will get the nod in place of Harvey Unga? Note: five other backs should be considered either combo backs (Bryan Kariya, Mike Hague, David Foote) or fullbacks (Algie Brown, Zed Mendenhall).
DiLuigi and Quezada will share reps the most. Although if they fully resurrect the slot receiver, I could see Quezada seeing more time there while DiLuigi splits out wide. This would allow more talent on the field. I could also see BYU going to more 4 and 5 WR sets given our depth of talent at WR and relative inexperience in the backfield.
Greg Wrubell wrote:3) Who will be the top tight end? Six players are in the mix, including return missionaries Austin Holt and Devin Mahina--both of them prized recruits in 2008. Mahina had the benefit of a strong spring.
Given our inexperience at TE and experience at WR, I don't think we'll run nearly as many 2-TE sets as we have the last few years. I think Mahina is going to beat out Holt (whom I'm not sold on).
Greg Wrubell wrote:4) Will we see the return of the slot receiver? The true slot ("H") receiver essentially disappeared with Nate Meikle's departure after the 2006 season, but the "H" could be back in 2010, with McKay Jacobson looking like an ideal fit for the position.
Yes. I think the slot receiver makes a comeback. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see McKay stay out wide where he averaged 24 ypc last year. Of course, if moving him inside gets him twice as many touches as he got last year (23 catches) then I'm all for that move. McKay should be getting 5-7 touches a game, IMO.
Greg Wrubell wrote:5) Is this BYU's deepest-ever corps of outside receivers? O'Neill Chambers, Spencer Hafoka and Luke Ashworth bring the experience, while Ross Apo, Cody Hoffman and Jordan Smith (all of them at 6'4") bring the potential.
Yes. Beware TCU and Utah. Your days of grabbing, holding and knocking our WRs off their routes at the line of scrimmage are coming to an end. I can't think of a WR corps with more potential.
Greg Wrubell wrote:6) While four starters return on the offensive line, who will end up where? LT Matt Reynolds and LG Braden Hansen are locks for their respective positions, with holdovers Terence Brown and Nick Alletto both able to play at multiple spots up front. BYU does need to replace departed center R.J. Willing, with Houston Reynolds among the prime candidates.
Center was a real weakness last year. RJ simply got pushed around way too much. Brown could slide over to allow for more athleticism at G. Marco Thorson could also be a factor at OG. I'm not sure Hansen stays at LG. He could move to RT.
Greg Wrubell wrote:7) With Romney Fuga expected to retain his starting NT position, who will grab the end spots in the 3-4? Vic So'oto should be a favorite at RE, but Thomas Bryson and Tayo Fabuluje are up-and-comers. At LE, Matt Putnam has the most experience, but Eathyn Manumaleuna returns from his mission, while freshman Graham Rowley has the looks of a player who could one day develop into an all-league performer.
NT was also very poorly played last year. If the NT doesn't occupy both the C and G then the G is free to get to the 2nd level and take on our ILB. If NT does occupy both, then there are lanes for the ILBs to shoot through and make plays. So'oto will be sitting on the sideline by the Utah State with an injury. Putnam looks like a player. But DL is going to be a fight all year to get effective production, IMO.
Greg Wrubell wrote:8 ) With Jordan Pendleton a lock at strongside linebacker, who will occupy the other three LB spots? Inside, Shane Hunter and Brandon Ogletree return the most snaps, but newcomers Zac Stout and Aveni Leung-Wai are bound to make some noise, while Austen Jorgensen (11 gp as a freshman) returns from his mission. Freshman Collin Keoshian is also in the mix. At weakside, freshman Kyle Van Noy could end up winning the job from returners Jordan Atkinson and Jameson Frazier.
Stout will be tough to keep off the field. Will Van Noy play safety or linebacker. He'll play and be effective as well. I think Frazier wins one of the jobs. Like the WRs, there are some real talented, but unproven kids at this position group.
Greg Wrubell wrote:9) Who takes over for Scott Johnson as the secondary's "quarterback" at free safety? Juniors Steven Thomas and Travis Uale are the most veteran replacement candidates, with converted wideout Landon Jaussi and freshman Kori Gaines expected to compete. The other safety spot is occupied by senior Andrew Rich, with Jray Galea'i coming off a redshirt season and expected to back up at Kat while able to cross over and play free.
Rich will tag team with Brandon Bradely at safety. Galea'i and Thomas could be factors, but I don't think Jaussi will see the field.
Greg Wrubell wrote:10) Who will be the next best corner, if either Brian Logan (field) or Brandon Bradley (boundary) should go down? Corby Eason, Robbie Buckner and Lee Aguirre have taken the most snaps, but DeQuan Everett comes to BYU as a late juco transfer expected to compete for playing time."
I think Bradley goes to safety. Logan will lock down half the field and I think Buckner mans the other position. It'll be interesting to see if Everett factors. I think BYU has as much athleticism at this position as they've had in a long time. Quite a bit of it is undersized, but I'll play-making ability over a big body.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
STEEZ17
Gray Shirt

Post by STEEZ17 »

Prediction: AJ Moore will be BYUs greatest running back in a very long time by his junior year. AJ is ridiculously good. Leads by example, runs over anybody in his way, smart/quick on his feet, never, ever falls backwards, runs every down like its his last. AJ Moore is underrated, and the real deal.

Florwood
Senior

Post by Florwood »

STEEZ17 wrote:Prediction: AJ Moore will be BYUs greatest running back in a very long time by his junior year. AJ is ridiculously good. Leads by example, runs over anybody in his way, smart/quick on his feet, never, ever falls backwards, runs every down like its his last. AJ Moore is underrated, and the real deal.
Don't know anything about Moore, but I will quibble with the "greatest running back in a very long time". Since Harvey has the most yards ever of a BYU running back, you could argue he's the greatest.. and he completed his career just seven months ago...

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

STEEZ17 wrote:Prediction: AJ Moore will be BYUs greatest running back in a very long time by his junior year. AJ is ridiculously good. Leads by example, runs over anybody in his way, smart/quick on his feet, never, ever falls backwards, runs every down like its his last. AJ Moore is underrated, and the real deal.
Thanks brother Moore.