There Can Only Be One

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: There Can Only Be One

Post by craigoscarson »

jonnylingo wrote:
Mars wrote:
byutx wrote:Only way Apo redshirts is if it's for medical reasons.
There are those. He missed all Spring after surgery.

He's great, but we don't need him this year. Jacobsen and Chambers are both the man. Before next year, Ashworth graduates, and Apo can take over.
Dont redshirt him. we will probably lose him to the nfl before he uses four full years anyway. use him while we can.
You never know how the future will work out; what we do know, is that we have three receivers that are at least his equal right now (ashworth, jacobson, chambers all know the offense, have been in the field for big plays, and arent' recovering from shoulder surgery; shoulders have a propensity for reinjury; better safer than sorry)

The University of Missouri burnt a redshirt on Tony Temple his freshman year (put him in halfway through the season) he reinjured his shoulder that year and it took him almost a full season to recover from the second injury.By the time he was a senior, he set a cotton bowl record of 284 yards against Arkansas, yet the NCAA refused to give him back a final year of eligibility after that, because he had played 1 too many games as a freshman before getting injured. You protect your depth with redshirts; if the NFL comes a calling in the future, then you deal with that when the time comes.

I can't think of many times where I regret that a player was redshirted; however I can think of many instances where I regret that they weren't.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

BigCougsFan wrote:There can only be one -- Jordan Pendelton!

I can't wait to watch him decapitate Locker, Ponder, and most of all, that cheesy frUte -- Jordan Wynn!

Frickin' rip his head off! I want to see him wobbling to the sidelines in complete dizziness from the pounding Pendelton lays on him AND all the QB's.

They're all gonna specifically look around to locate Pendelton before every snap THEN run away from him, to the opposite side of the field. Bunch of chickens!
Wow...I haven't seen this big of a man-crush since...well....EVER!

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

This is the biggest transition year BYU has had under Bronco. So I expect some of the decisions on who to redshirt, who to play will be made tougher by this fact, especially with an unknown at QB. We should have a very good defense, and that helps, but even USC sucked last year with a good D and less than average QB play. So pressure my be there to play young guys and burn a year if the team struggles early. Let's hope that does not happen.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

craigoscarson wrote: we have three receivers that are at least his equal right now (ashworth, jacobson, chambers
That's being a little generous to Ashworth. He's got some skills, but he was one of the weaknesses on the offense last year.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

33311710 wrote:

I can't wait to watch him decapitate Locker, Ponder, and most of all, that cheesy frUte -- Jordan Wynn!

Frickin' rip his head off! I want to see him wobbling to the sidelines in complete dizziness from the pounding Pendelton lays on him AND all the QB's.

They're all gonna specifically look around to locate Pendelton before every snap THEN run away from him, to the opposite side of the field. Bunch of chickens!
Man crush? Nah... Maybe I'm a friend just representing

There are plenty of man crushes going on here with Jake Heaps and a few others. So no worries on my end.

Tomorrows Saturday... You should be getting ready to take your false doctrine sacrament brotha!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

BigCougsFan wrote:
33311710 wrote:

Man crush? Nah... Maybe I'm a friend just representing

There are plenty of man crushes going on here with Jake Heaps and a few others. So no worries on my end.

Tomorrows Saturday... You should be getting ready to take your false doctrine sacrament brotha!

You know it! Of course, my Saturday "Sacrament" consists of a Flag Football triple header, culminating in the Championship at high noon. Wish me luck.

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

33311710 wrote:You know it! Of course, my Saturday "Sacrament" consists of a Flag Football triple header, culminating in the Championship at high noon. Wish me luck.
Nothing BUT the best of luck to you sir!

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

craigoscarson wrote:
I can't think of many times where I regret that a player was redshirted; however I can think of many instances where I regret that they weren't.
Jonny Harline being one, but for other reasons. He would have had a much higher chance of making it in the NFL with one more year. He might have even learned how to bench press. I think we beat UCLA w/ Harline. At the very least So'oto wouldn't have had that (horribly miscalled) fumble.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

CrimsonCoug wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
Jonny Harline being one, but for other reasons. He would have had a much higher chance of making it in the NFL with one more year. He might have even learned how to bench press. I think we beat UCLA w/ Harline. At the very least So'oto wouldn't have had that (horribly miscalled) fumble.
Harline had an injured wrist at the combine--another year wouldn't have made a difference. He'd be in the NFL now if not for the achilles injury.

That said, agreed that Crowton really blew that one in burning Harline's first year with a few snaps on kick coverage.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

snoscythe wrote:
CrimsonCoug wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
Harline had an injured wrist at the combine--another year wouldn't have made a difference. He'd be in the NFL now if not for the achilles injury.

That said, agreed that Crowton really blew that one in burning Harline's first year with a few snaps on kick coverage.
(yes I know my favorite argument for redshirting players that aren't 100% is hoops related, but it's one time when even the coaches admitted that they blew it)

The most notable wasted "non" redshirt to me was Mekeli Wesley; I lament all the time that he wasnt' redshirted after his freshman year (yes I said after). His soph season was wasted (he wasn't eligible to play til december and he wasn't ready and it showed) in a year where we weren't going to make the tourney...

Yet, in 2000-01 his last year; we went 24-9 and he was the MVP of the 1st round tourney loss to Cincy.
The next year we went 19-12 without him and had zero inside threat (unless you count Jared Jensen as a threat) He would have been the best returning player in the conference and the one thing that the Cougs needed badly to go with Bigelow, Nielson, Hansen, Balderson, Montague. We lost 3 overtime games and 4 other games within 4 points; they really struggled on the road, but even without Wesley, were talented enough to beat #13 Stanford at their place. Those 7 games would have been wins with Mekeli (if not more) giving us at least a record of 26-5 that season and a tourney game if not a win (and there may not have been a 1993 monkey on our backs up til this year)
How good was Mekeli as a college player? He didnt' play half of his sophomore season and he's still ahead of Fredette in career scoring at BYU. (for now)
Had Mekeli gotten a redshirt his soph year and had that final season he deserved, he had easily been #4 on the all time BYU scoring list.
1 Ainge, Danny 2,467
2 Smith, Michael 2,319
3 Durrant, Devin 2,285
4 Larson, Russell 1,885
5 Roberts, Fred 1,841
6 Chatman, Jeff 1,824
7 Wesley, Mekeli 1,740
8 Bigelow, Mark 1,715
9 Roberts, Ken 1,652
10 Cummard, Lee 1,569
11 Fredette, Jimmer 1,531