I could be wrong

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I could be wrong

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Well, since the changes to the Big 12 don't start for 2 years, there is a chance that BYU can be asked to join the conference anytime between now and Sept 2011 for the 2012 season.

My guess is that it probably won't happen. Is going independent a good move, or not?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Well, since the changes to the Big 12 don't start for 2 years, there is a chance that BYU can be asked to join the conference anytime between now and Sept 2011 for the 2012 season.

My guess is that it probably won't happen. Is going independent a good move, or not?

Personally I think going independent is the next best option to joining a BCS conference. I think BYU can go independent in football only too. BYU dominates the MWC in the majority of other sports as is proven by the fact that BYU owns nearly half of all conference championships. The MWC would readily hold onto the rights of all the other sports.

I think ESPN would gladly pick up a contract with an independent BYU, they loved BYU back in the pre-MTN days. And if not BYUTV reaches more homes then the MTN does already. Plus Bonneville Communications would probably pick them up anyway.

Scheduling wouldn't be a problem as teams know already that a game against BYU is a sell out or close to it.

I have been and will remain a pro-independent guy, I think the pros outweigh the cons.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

The con is not having a conference championship to play for. Bronco uses that each year as a team goal, so not sure how much he'd like losing that chance. And seeing how it is BCS or bust at Notre Dame, not sure I like that option so much. I like having that conference itle to play for. and wih TCU and BSU to compete against, along with improving teams at Wyoming, CSU and SDSU, I think the MWC is getting stronger.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

CannonCougar85 wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:Well, since the changes to the Big 12 don't start for 2 years, there is a chance that BYU can be asked to join the conference anytime between now and Sept 2011 for the 2012 season.

Personally I think going independent is the next best option to joining a BCS conference. I think BYU can go independent in football only too. BYU dominates the MWC in the majority of other sports as is proven by the fact that BYU owns nearly half of all conference championships. The MWC would readily hold onto the rights of all the other sports.

I think ESPN would gladly pick up a contract with an independent BYU, they loved BYU back in the pre-MTN days. And if not BYUTV reaches more homes then the MTN does already. Plus Bonneville Communications would probably pick them up anyway.

Scheduling wouldn't be a problem as teams know already that a game against BYU is a sell out or close to it.

I have been and will remain a pro-independent guy, I think the pros outweigh the cons.
I know I brought up the independence issue, but I think BYU would have to find another conference for all its other sports. I'm sure they would have some takers.

However, on another point, if both BYU and Utah are out of the MWC, how long does it actually stay together?

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

reports are coming out that may change that. nebraska is going after this year and now they think colorado may be able to follow suit. wrubbel has a post about it on cougartracks.

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

jonnylingo wrote:Thats not much of a prediction that Utah is going to go the Pac 10. I think its pretty obvious to everybody that this was going to happen. Especially after the MWC invited Boise State. When that happened I knew that Utah was likely going to the Pac10.
Sorry to leave you so unimpressed.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

Issue is does the PAC10 want them now, or in 2012 when the new TV deal kicks in. PAC10 is pretty stingy, so only way they add teams in 2011 is if they accept no $$ in year 1, or a major reduced share. Obviously, Utah takes it because it will be better than the MWC, and Colorado may as well since it might be better than the reduced share they get in 2011 since they are leaving. Who knows, but I am inclined to think that the PAC10 tells them it is 2012.

cougarfurr
Gray Shirt

Post by cougarfurr »

mcgregor wrote:I stand by my prediction that Utah will get a PAC10 invite.

But as far as "BYU stays put," I'm not 100% certain.
Any source/info behind this or is this pure speculation?

If you're not 100% certain, what percentage certain are you?

I'm like, 99.5% certain. I can't sleep or focus on work, this is all too depressing. I need help...hope.

mraven
Recruit

Post by mraven »

You should be more confident. Your original statement was correct: http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php

Nice call, unfortunately.

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

mraven wrote:

You should be more confident. Your original statement was correct: http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php

Nice call, unfortunately.
My source originally indicated that BYU would not get an invite this year, but would be a top consideration in a year or two. Last night or the night before (whenever I started this thread), he mentioned that a few minutes previous to our discussion some Big12 officials were still making inquiries to BYU.