The new Big 14 conference?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
allcoug
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The new Big 14 conference?

Post by allcoug »

I hope the idea of creating a Big 14 conference is at least floating around the minds of Texas and Oklahoma. Why not just keep the remaining Big 12 teams (10 of them) and then add Utah, BYU, Boise St. and TCU? It would create two divisions (but smaller then a 16 team conference to allow for more flexible scheduling) and would keep Texas and Oklahoma as the big dogs of their conference. I believe it would be better conference even with Nebraska leaving - and then they could simply send Colorado a thank you note for leaving on their own. If fact, this would be a much better conference then the PAC-10 (as they just degraded themselves by adding CU) and would be on level with the SEC in football and the BIG East in basketball.

In addition, this would allow BYU and Utah to continue winning games each year. If Utah joins a PAC -16 conference they'll become the doormat of the conference within a few years.

Hopefully cooler heads will consider this option. And it should be a given that the TV revenue from a Big 14 conference would be huge.

Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: The new Big 14 conference?

Post by Florwood »

And if you look it up, the Big 12 trademarked the term "Big 14" several years ago. The trademark for "Big 16" belongs to a food company...

bplewe
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: The new Big 14 conference?

Post by bplewe »

In today's news (as well as the past couple days), Dan Beebe's latest sales pitch to Texas et al is that the Big 12 can survive or even thrive with just ten schools (i.e., dump the NE/CO whiners, split the money fewer ways). No mention of possible expansion. If he overcomes all odds and saves his job, they may wait a year to regroup before re-expanding. Well, maybe wait for a week to see what the next conference does :-)