If I was a betting man

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: If I was a betting man

Post by craigoscarson »

mcgregor wrote:I would wager that NO ONE from the PAC10 has made ANY contact with ANY person at Utah.

That doesn't mean they won't, just that most of what Utah fans are circulating is, unsurprisingly, a big pile of yewt.
wouldn't this conflict with your inside source on friday? (the one that said the Big 12 would stay intact and Utah would go west?) I mean how could a source believe that Utah was going to the Pac 10 if Utah and the Pac 10 had never actually had any serious discussions?

all I know, is that there's not a single BCS school that will go to the MWC, until they're given no other option. If the Big 12 disintegrates, they'll wheel and deal and soul their souls to the devil to get to the Pac 10 etc. This is why I always believed that Utah would be left out in the cold.

there are bigger losers though, Missouri has got to be dirtying their adult diapers at a world record pace, and of course Iowa State, Kansas State, and Baylor fans might as well start begging the MWC and Conf USA to give them a shot. (didn't Justin Hamilton transfer back to Iowa State? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I also feel like arizona, arizona state, washington state, and possibly cal + texas tech are big losers too. They'll be lucky to see .500 football and hoops teams in the next decade.

Kansas has had so much trouble recently with illegal doings in their athletic and ticketing department, that Lew Perkins is going to look like a savior if he can get them to the Pac-10 while he's stil the official lame duck AD. (Kansas fans hate Mizzou like BYU/Utah... if they can get Pac 10 invite when Missouri started all of this, hilarity will ensue here)

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

craigoscarson wrote:
mcgregor wrote:I would wager that NO ONE from the PAC10 has made ANY contact with ANY person at Utah.

That doesn't mean they won't, just that most of what Utah fans are circulating is, unsurprisingly, a big pile of yewt.
wouldn't this conflict with your inside source on friday? (the one that said the Big 12 would stay intact and Utah would go west?) I mean how could a source believe that Utah was going to the Pac 10 if Utah and the Pac 10 had never actually had any serious discussions?

all I know, is that there's not a single BCS school that will go to the MWC, until they're given no other option. If the Big 12 disintegrates, they'll wheel and deal and soul their souls to the devil to get to the Pac 10 etc. This is why I always believed that Utah would be left out in the cold.

there are bigger losers though, Missouri has got to be dirtying their adult diapers at a world record pace, and of course Iowa State, Kansas State, and Baylor fans might as well start begging the MWC and Conf USA to give them a shot. (didn't Justin Hamilton transfer back to Iowa State? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I also feel like arizona, arizona state, washington state, and possibly cal + texas tech are big losers too. They'll be lucky to see .500 football and hoops teams in the next decade.

Kansas has had so much trouble recently with illegal doings in their athletic and ticketing department, that Lew Perkins is going to look like a savior if he can get them to the Pac-10 while he's stil the official lame duck AD. (Kansas fans hate Mizzou like BYU/Utah... if they can get Pac 10 invite when Missouri started all of this, hilarity will ensue here)
I don't think it is in opposition to what McGregor said earlier. Utah is plan B at best and more than likely plan C or D. If the Big 12 holds together, with the remaining 10 schools, then the PAC-10 will contact Utah, but not until then.

The PAC 10 is in a position of power with Utah, but not so much with the Big 12 schools.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

craigoscarson wrote:

It would appear inconsistent if it was all from one source.

But it's entirely possible that the PAC10 would be considering Utah if the Big12 doesn't migrate, but to not have spoken to Utah about it because you're absolutely certain they will accept your invite.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

KYCoug wrote:I think the big move to the PAC (whatever) is going to happen and agree that Utah gets left out. With that assumption it would make more sense to me for the Big 12 even if it only has 4 remaining schools to merge with the MWC. That way both conferences could retain their contracts with bowls and the merged conference could retain the BC$ affiliation of the Big 12.

Just saying, that makes more sense than disbanding the Big 12 and having the schools individually move to join the MWC.

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville, KY
Another reason for the MWC to become the Big 12, even if the MWC brings more schools, is that would present an opportunity to drop some of the bottom feeders in favor of the likes of Kansas and Missouri.

bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bball »

The really good news to me out of all this, assuming we pick up the leftover Big-12 schools, is that somehow the MWC will end up with a couple of much better bowl opportunities. And if the Big-12 disappears, isn't it logical that the Big-12 automatic BCS qualifier is then bestowed upon the MWC? Who else are they going to give it to? The Sun Belt conference?

northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

If the Big XII disbands, it will be because the 5 or 6 are heading to the Pac 16 and the Pac 16 is saying they want a BCS game for the champion of each division. If the Pac 16 happens, the chance of them getting two is higher than the MWC getting one.

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

northerncougar wrote:If the Pac 16 happens, the chance of them getting two is higher than the MWC getting one.
Agreed. This is a powerplay. Too bad for the Big12 north they didn't realize that the "tv alliance" meeting last month appears to actually end up being a "drop-the-dead-weight-north-division-and-split-the-same-check-fewer-ways" meeting. If you assumed the PIG16 (just thought of that little combo. I like it!) was still gonna happen, think about it: They don't really want one conference. Listen to what they're proposing. 2 eight-team divisions, few IF ANY inter-division games, NO CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP, AND TWO BCS BIDS. They want one conference in name only but 2 conferences in actuality who don't step on each others' toes, that way they're splitting HUGE TV money and 2 BCS bids between fewer teams. Think about it. Currently both contracts are splitting old TV contract money and 2 BCS bids amongst 22 teams. Even if the contract money stayed the same, cutting out SIX "dead-weight" programs worth of profit dilution for the remaining 16 teams would be on average a 37% raise. That's not even TALKING about what a new contract would be worth.

I GUARANTEE they wouldn't pull the trigger on this deal unless they KNEW the Fiesta bid would go to the PIG16 East "division" champ.

bplewe
Recruit

Post by bplewe »

Well, this is a new angle. If true, it sounds more like a conspiracy between Texas/Oklahoma and the PAC, rather than a power play by the PAC alone.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I would say its between utah and kansas to gill a&m's spot. kansas probably has an edge because i would imagine texas would push for that and texas seems to get what texas wants.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Kansas would fill Texas A&M's spot in the PAC-16.

Utah would make 12 with Colorado if Texas stays in the Big X-II. And that's assuming that A&M says "NO" to the SEC, Missouri does not get a Big Ten invite anytime soon, and Kansas says "NO" to a PAC-12 set-up. But the PAC-11 could wait a year or two hoping that one of those three scenarios happens, again promting Texas to leave the Big X-II.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars