Is it really just about $

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
AmmonCougar1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Is it really just about $

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

I think the answer regarding why all the conference expansion sadly comes down to it all being about money. Otherwise, why would the Big 12 not just stand pat and grab two others to fill in for CU and UN? Were there really that hard of feelings toward Nebraska about Texas getting more $ in the TV contract and having the conf. champ game in Texas? Do you see the MWC teams getting irate enough to bail on the conf because the MWC hoops tourney is in Vegas? And my BIL (utefan sadly) is convinced the utes are heading to the pac-16 next week and when I told him good riddance he was surprised that I wouldn't be jealous. Seriously? It doesn't sound cool to me to be lumped with 15 other teams for the sake of $ when it may not change a thing in their future except eliminate the frequency by which they have been winning conf. titles. Is it really going to change their recruiting for the better? Or does it mean now Texas and OU will have a better shot at some of the Utah locals? I can't see some Texas player going, 'yea, now I can go to utah cuz they'll play against Texas and I can come "home" a couple times during my college career.

Okay, I'll stop rambling now. Any insights would help here.

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Is it really just about $

Post by Y 4 Ever »

It's always about $$, but as I said in a different post, it could also be about POWER.

The mega-Pac-0 is going to come down to whether Texas wants $$ or Ultimate Power. Sure, they'd make more money in the Pac-0, but they'd still make millions and millions of $$ staying in the big 12, especially with Nebraska out of the way, which was probably one of the major road blocks between Texas and their own TV network.

So...$20 million and constantly butting heads with USC and UCLA and Oregon for control...or say $15 million a year and complete control and POWER over your entire conference?

THAT'S the question that Texas is probably considering right now.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Is it really just about $

Post by Schmoe »

As my friend Mr. Krabs would say "Money money money money money money..."

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,