Do we need anything more for BCS invite if the Big 12 folds?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Do we need anything more for BCS invite if the Big 12 fo

Post by Mars »

Schmoe wrote: If the Big XII dissolves then there will be an open spot on the BCS table, who the hell else are they going to give it to?
Technically there won't be, as the BCS certifies a minimum of 5 leagues. But the Big XII's overall conference numbers, which are ahead of the MWC's, will disappear, moving us up a spot into auto-qualifying grounds. And the Fiesta bowl will be looking for a new partner. And the Big east could disappear soon as well, and that WOULD create a space that would need to be filled.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

I think that Texas and a new PAC-16 argues that it should have 2 automatic bids. And with Texas, and not now-disgraced USC calling the shots in the PAC-16, my money is on Texas.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:I think that Texas and a new PAC-16 argues that it should have 2 automatic bids. And with Texas, and not now-disgraced USC calling the shots in the PAC-16, my money is on Texas.
Then at that point, the MWC has grounds for a mega $ lawsuit... once the BCS gave the mwc criteria and paperwork to join, they also entered into a contractual type of agreement. If the MWC meets that criteria and the BCS claims that the rules hacve changed, then there will be lawyers all over this.

Once the dust settles, the MWC needs to petition for an exclusion and threaten litigation if they dont' accept.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

The BCS folds and a new entity takes its place.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

craigoscarson wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:I think that Texas and a new PAC-16 argues that it should have 2 automatic bids. And with Texas, and not now-disgraced USC calling the shots in the PAC-16, my money is on Texas.
Then at that point, the MWC has grounds for a mega $ lawsuit... once the BCS gave the mwc criteria and paperwork to join, they also entered into a contractual type of agreement. If the MWC meets that criteria and the BCS claims that the rules hacve changed, then there will be lawyers all over this.

Once the dust settles, the MWC needs to petition for an exclusion and threaten litigation if they dont' accept.
I believe you meant to say IN-clusion--I doubt the BCS would refuse a petition for EX-clusion.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

snoscythe wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:

I believe you meant to say IN-clusion--I doubt the BCS would refuse a petition for EX-clusion.
no, the petition was for an exclusion to the BCS criteria if we're close (read the entire paragraph)... which we've been discussing on this forum. (law students....) which in this case is the only way an exclusion would be something favorable....

I'll forgive you this time Brad, my baby brother is a Cornell educated silicon valley attorney (wilson sonsini) and he thought he was a know-it-all during law school too ;) Course, all I have to do is discuss neurophysiology around him and he shuts up.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

scott715 wrote:The BCS folds and a new entity takes its place.
This is what I think will happen.

Except the new BS entity will be run by virtually the same people, in virtually the same places. Sounds like Iran changing ship names to avoid UN embargoes. Why the hell not?

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

While I do agree with the above, that the big conferences would likely push to destroy the BCS and create a new system; I think that they'd be on very thin ice to attempt to exclude the MWC, particularly if TCU and BSU make national championship caliber pushes this year. (and both could do it since they're not playing each other)

The MWC will get credit for what Boise does this next season, in spite of not having to compete with us; the Pac 16 schools might not have a front runner. USC has some chinks in the armor (and has no post season chances.. does Lane Kiffin really not redshirt his freshmen studs? why waste them on a lame duck season?), Oklahoma is rebuilding, Texas is going to be strong, but is rebuilding some positions (in fact Nebraska and Missouri might have the most talent in the current Big 12), and there's not a single Pac 10 team that can survive their schedules.

Boise and TCU have a really good shot at being in the top 4-5 (or better) all season.

How do you exclude the MWC if Boise and TCU make NC runs next season and every team in the future Pac 16 finishes behind them? (think we can talk the Colts into letting TCU have Jerry Hughes back for a post grad year?)

If there ever was a year for all MWC teams to pull out all stops and win their OOC games, it'd be this upcoming season. We can cash in on all this upheaval. Nebraska and Missouri could also help make a mess (they'll both be very good next season)

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

craigoscarson wrote:While I do agree with the above, that the big conferences would likely push to destroy the BCS and create a new system;
USC has some chinks in the armor (and has no post season chances.. does Lane Kiffin really not redshirt his freshmen studs? why waste them on a lame duck season?),
I have had this fear from the beginning the scenario about creating a new system because of the super conferences and now the "playoff" they would have would give them even more power to exclude the non AQ schools.

Good point about USC redshirting all his freshmen, but he may not have the luxury to do it if there are enough juniors and seniors that jump ship, he may have to play his freshmen.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

So I keep seeing this online: "NCAA rules state that a conference must have at least six teams with five years of playing experience together, so the remaining five big twelve teams would likely have to separate to find homes."

Is there any reason why the Mountain West can't merge into the Big Twelve and dissolve the Mountain West? The Mountain West would provide the 6 teams of five years playing experience together.

I'm not sure I like the idea, but is this a possibility?