Do we need anything more for BCS invite if the Big 12 folds?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Do we need anything more for BCS invite if the Big 12 folds?

Post by craigoscarson »

Could the BCS pass us up and just give more to the Pac 16? I wonder what the legal ramifications would be, particularly after being given the criteria.

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: Do we need anything more for BCS invite if the Big 12 fo

Post by scott715 »

We now need a BCS to get an invite. If it is there we got one until they change the rules.

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Since the changes don't occur until the next BCS evaluation, it's rather moot at this time. The MWC will have time to establish itself on the field as deserving a BCS AQ bid by then. BSU will mop up in the WAC the next two years with as young as that team is currently.

That being said, if somehow the MWC, without any changes other than adding BSU, is by passed even though it surpasses at least one AQ conference *cough*bigeast*cough*, then legal remedies might be in order.

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

craigoscarson wrote:Could the BCS pass us up and just give more to the Pac 16? I wonder what the legal ramifications would be, particularly after being given the criteria.
This is exactly why I do NOT want the Texas package to leave for the PAC. It is the first step to the 4 super conference playoff which will ruin college football, at least it will for me. The BCS will become even more exclusionary and hide behind the "hey it's a playoff system like you wanted" spin. This is why I am firmly in the belief that saving the Big 12 means saving college football.

But as it sits right now the MWC would slide into that 6th BCS spot if the Big 12 dissolves in 2011. That doesn't mean that they won't change the rules up to continue to exclude the MWC though.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

CougarPeasant wrote:Since the changes don't occur until the next BCS evaluation, it's rather moot at this time.
Actually, if the other five take the invite to the PAC, the Big XII could be gone as soon as next season since the two year waiting period would be nullified, which would mean they would need replacing in their BCS contracts in 2011, a year before the reevaluation occurs.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Schmoe wrote:
CougarPeasant wrote:Since the changes don't occur until the next BCS evaluation, it's rather moot at this time.
Actually, if the other five take the invite to the PAC, the Big XII could be gone as soon as next season since the two year waiting period would be nullified, which would mean they would need replacing in their BCS contracts in 2011, a year before the reevaluation occurs.
are you saying the MWC would simply take that slot? That doesn't sound like something the BCS would allow to happen, I must have misunderstood.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

So if a few of the remaining B-12 move to the MWC and the MWC decides to be the B-12 are we in? And do we get out of the MTN contract?

My hope is that the rest stay in the B-12 and us and CSU or AF get invited to join. I would love TCU except the just don't have the $ to merit consideration. I am not sure AF would be better than CSU if CSU were to join. I do know that CSU would become much better and CU in a few years after joining so it would be a fairly good upgrade. As for AF, inclusion does virtually nothing for their recruiting so I don't think you would see a change but just a tougher schedule. I do think both these teams would finish in the middle of the North on a fairly consistent basis in a few years. And BYU would be a perrenial favorite to win the North.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

CougarPeasant wrote: Since the changes don't occur until the next BCS evaluation, it's rather moot at this time. The MWC will have time to establish itself on the field as deserving a BCS AQ bid by then. BSU will mop up in the WAC the next two years with as young as that team is currently.
Boise State will only play 1 more year in the WAC, then in the MWC starting in 2011.

And right now I think it's a 95% chance that the MWC becomes a BCS conference (one or more of these 3 ways)...

1- We get in by petition, as we finish ahead of the Big Ten and ACC.
2- We get in automatically, as the Big XII disappears and we then meet all of the criteria.
3- We sign with the Fiesta bowl once the Big XII dissolves.
Last edited by Mars on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Florwood »

Mars wrote: Boise State will only play 1 more year in the WAC, then in the MWC starting in 2012.
[/color]
I think that "one more year" is this year, and they start in the MWC in 2011. The press release says "The Mountain West Conference announced today that Boise State University has accepted an invitation to join the MWC as its 10th member institution, effective July 1, 2011. "

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

CougarClaw wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
are you saying the MWC would simply take that slot? That doesn't sound like something the BCS would allow to happen, I must have misunderstood.
If the Big XII dissolves then there will be an open spot on the BCS table, who the hell else are they going to give it to?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,