Just a guess

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Just a guess

Post by Florwood »

or maybe he uses in tact because they will be tactful and polite, and not ruin football for every one but the special 64 :roll:

CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarPeasant »

Metallicat wrote:Pez, when he says "in tact" I think he means that the Big 12 will still exist, not that it won't loose any members(It already has). In other words, there will be no PAC 16.
Guess my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. Intact meant all 12 teams remain and Colorado spurns the Pac10's offer.

But as I see it play out, Colorado and Utah go to the Pac10, BYU is added to the Big12, Boise St and Nevada likely join the MWC and perhaps Houston, Fresno St and Tulsa are invited as well to form a 12 team conference.

The push will be for conferences to all have 12 teams.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

CougarPeasant wrote:
Metallicat wrote:Pez, when he says "in tact" I think he means that the Big 12 will still exist, not that it won't loose any members(It already has). In other words, there will be no PAC 16.
Guess my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. Intact meant all 12 teams remain and Colorado spurns the Pac10's offer.

But as I see it play out, Colorado and Utah go to the Pac10, BYU is added to the Big12, Boise St and Nevada likely join the MWC and perhaps Houston, Fresno St and Tulsa are invited as well to form a 12 team conference.

The push will be for conferences to all have 12 teams.
I sure hope you're right, and we're not watching the greedy destruction of the single best sport in the world.

Lets hope that Texas' lust for power overcomes their greed. Power or $$$$$, power or $$$$.......

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

according to the radio heads, the chancellor of KU and BIll Self , there is no Big 12 and the have to find a new home asap.

I have to call bs on this one (your source is speculating with little knowledge of what's happening in Big 12 country) the Big 12 will lose Nebraska and Colorado; Oklahoma State wants the next spot in the Pac 10 and texas will look around. If texas leaves, the Big 12 is gone. if texas stays then BYU and Arkansas are the teams they want... they just can't afford arkansas.

I've listened to 3 Big 12 conference calls today and had the radio on since 9 am ; the Big 12 is 75% done and the 25% chance they stay is on the shoulders of Texas.

I could care less if Utah goes to the Pac 10, I mean they just took Colorado.... ;)

If ultimately all the Pac 10 picks up is colorado and utah... with usc on probation, they still take several steps back in terms of respect and strength. Larry Scott doesn't look like much of a genius if that's all he can conjure.

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

My source on this is about 9 out of 10 as far as reliability--I just don't really see how it could get better unless you are the president of Texas.

That being said, I was warned that this is subject to rapid change.

My "intact" statement was in regards to the Big 12 losing CU and Neb, but remaining a 12-team conference. There is a LOT of internal pressure to keep the Big12 together.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

mcgregor wrote: My source on this is about 9 out of 10 as far as reliability--I just don't really see how it could get better unless you are the president of Texas. That being said, I was warned that this is subject to rapid change. My "intact" statement was in regards to the Big 12 losing CU and Neb, but remaining a 12-team conference. There is a LOT of internal pressure to keep the Big12 together.
Texas A&M is looking at the SEC.
The PAC-10 is looking at Kansas.
The Big Ten is still mulling over Missouri.

What does Texas have to hold on to?

Last I heard some Big XII Presidents floated the idea of adding BYU and Air Force to replace Colorado and Nebraska, but that they decided it wasn't a great idea, and to just pack up and move to the PAC-16.

Time will tell.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

mcgregor wrote:Just trust me on this.

Tonight--and tonight only--I am VERY confident in my information.

One thing to consider is that the Big12 coaches HATE the championship game, so it's not hard to convince them to consider not have the game. Plus, this is a temporary position. They will wait and see if they need to dissolve in the future, or invite two, or maybe 4, new teams.
I do trust you on this and I think it's safe to say it would be hard presssed to find a coach in any conference that really likes a conference championship game. Those games were started by people higher up in the conference chain than the coaches all because of the money these games generate.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Tell Jerry Jones that you dont' want that championship game :P

Word is that the Big 12 heads are meeting but thus far nothing has been done and some are hedging waiting on invites etc.

Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri and Kansas State REALLY REALLY REALLY want to keep this together (they're on life support _... others aren't as sure apparently, and they're all drinking the texas koolaid atm hoping that will appease the Longhorns.

Th problem is that the balance is hanging on the Big 10, The SEC and Pac 10 not making any waves.

(I just hope your inside source isn't Chip Brown, because he's been wrong as many times as he's been right in the last 72 hours)

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

I hope it doesn't work out the way I have been told. I'm sure things have already changed.

The main issue on this is that there are simply too many players for any one person to know how this will all play out.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

mcgregor wrote:I hope it doesn't work out the way I have been told. I'm sure things have already changed.

The main issue on this is that there are simply too many players for any one person to know how this will all play out.
agreed, Notre Dame, the Big 10, The SEC, The Pac 10 could all make moves that would put other moves into succession.; as expected though, Kansas and the Big 12 north teams DID NOT want to go to the Mountain West and are trying to keep thigs in the Big 12 together, hell or highwater.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 salvages their conference (seems responsible to me) but there's too mch desperation in Kansas City right now for me to believe that there's a consensus in the Big 12 to stick it out.

If the Big 12 teams thought Texas had too much power now, just wait til they have to live with them after begging them to save this deal.... especially if you're Missouri. They're the school that cheated on the beauty queen and is now trying to win her back... that will be an intolerable relationship.

Then there's the isse of the Big 12 North... it's dead... where do they go from there? So much more to happen it's impossible to accurately speculate.