Desperation Setting In at Baylor

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Desperation Setting In at Baylor

Post by snoscythe »

I got this email from Baylor this afternoon:
Since the last Baylor Proud e-mail went out over the weekend explaining the state of the Big 12 Conference and the importance of keeping the Texas schools of the Big 12 together in any future conference expansion or realignment, many members of the Baylor family have written to ask two questions: "What's the latest information?" and "How can I help?"

I've been able to answer the first question quite simply; for the latest information on Baylor and the Big 12, visit (and then bookmark) www.baylor.edu/nation. There you'll find the latest news and statements from Baylor officials as well as points of pride you can share with others about Baylor's many successes, on and off the field.

The second question speaks so much to what we cherish about the Baylor family -- the deep commitment we all have to get behind the green and gold and to support Baylor enthusiastically whenever we can and whenever we're needed. I'm proud to have learned that many in the Baylor family are rising up at this important time to make their voices heard on this issue and to make sure Baylor's best interests -- and the best interests of Texas -- are preserved and protected.

So, how can you help? Do what others are doing; talk up all that Baylor has to offer the state of Texas and the Big 12. Spread the good news about Baylor to your friends. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper (see President Ken Starr's editorial here that ran in the Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle and Waco Tribune-Herald). Given the role the Texas Legislature may play, contact your elected representatives in the state government (find yours here) and tell them to defend the Big 12 and keep the Texas institutions of the Big 12 whole.

I just read where this fall will mark the 100th football game between Baylor and Texas, dating back to 1901. The Bears have faced the Texas A&M Aggies 106 times since 1899. These are traditions that deserve to be honored and maintained.

Houston Chronicle columnist Richard Justice summed up Baylor's approach well in an editorial on Wednesday: "Baylor has come too far and has too much to offer. Baylor deserves to be rewarded, not punished. In some ways, Baylor is a bright and shining light for what college sports ought to be about."

Sic 'em, Baylor family!
It's been fun to listen to everyone here in town talk about how much Texas and A&M need Baylor....if it was so obvious, wouldn't Texas and A&M already know???

BYUgrad03
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Desperation Setting In at Baylor

Post by BYUgrad03 »

I kind of feel bad for Baylor.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Baylor will be cast aside just as easily as TCU, SMU, Houston and Rice were when the SWC imploded. Baylor was lucky to hang on then, but will not be so lucky this time. It is a fine institution for sure, but this is about $$$, and Baylor does not help with that. But they will be a fine conference opponent for BYU soon.

Florwood
Senior

Post by Florwood »

snoscythe wrote: you can share with others about Baylor's many successes, on and off the field.
Shades of Austin Collie! Proof it's a religious school...

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

snoscythe wrote: you can share with others about Baylor's many successes, on and off the field.
Emphasis on "off the field" :lol:

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

CannonCougar85 wrote:
Emphasis on "off the field" :lol:
Baylor may have its fair share of distinguished alumni, but here's my favorite Baylor grad:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Just now, more from Ken Starr:
A message from Baylor President Ken Starr:

You have no doubt heard today that the University of Colorado at Boulder has accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10 Conference. While we are disappointed to learn of this news, it is important to realize that the situation is still very fluid, and any realignment is likely to take years to complete. In any event, the Big 12 will be competing for at least another two years. You should also know that Baylor is continuing to seek as much unity as possible among the members of our conference and to fight for cohesiveness among the Texas universities of the Big 12.

You may also be aware that there have been calls today from public officials to hold hearings in the Texas Legislature that will permit public comment on changes in the composition of the Big 12 conference. Because of the powerful impact that realignment of the conference could have on the Texas economy, including the communities that host the universities of the Big 12, lawmakers are calling for a thoughtful and careful analysis of any proposed change to the Big 12. These elected officials believe changes to the conference as we know it would have profound economic implications for the citizens of Texas and potentially damage historic rivalries that are more than a century old.

Central Texas Congressman Chet Edwards released a letter today urging state government leaders to hold immediate hearings in the Texas Legislature on the future of the Big 12 and its impact on Texas.

Edwards commented: “It is important that all the citizens of Texas have a right to have their voices heard on the future of the Big 12 before, not after, all the decisions have been made. These decisions are too important to be decided solely by a small handful of people behind closed doors without public input from the citizens of our great state. The Texas Legislature has a responsibility to our taxpayers to review the impact of any conference realignment on our state’s economy and historic relationships between our state’s universities and their respective communities.”

You can read Congressman Edwards’ letter in its entirety at http://edwards.house.gov/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=47.

Writing in the Austin American-Statesman today, State Rep. Jim Dunnam, who represents District 57 in the Texas House, also weighed in on a lack of public input with respect to any immediate changes in the composition of the Big 12.

In his guest column – “Decisions affecting the Big 12 should be made in public” – Rep. Dunnam wrote, “If it is truly best for our public universities to leave and be the Gulf of Mexico division of the Pacific Conference, so be it. But first let's get the rationale and all of the options out there on the table. Let Texans have a voice and understand the choices. The destiny of institutions we and our forefathers built deserves no less.”

Click below to read Rep. Dunnam’s essay in its entirety:

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/dunnam ... 40104.html.

We have continued to call attention to the economic impact on our state of the four Texas universities of the Big 12, and the importance of these schools remaining together as a cohesive group. The significance of retaining the four Texas university collective of the Big 12 is reflected today in an economic impact study released by The Perryman Group. “The presence of four schools in a premier conference is important to Texas’ ability to capitalize on the potential economic stimulus of college athletics,” the report states. Read the full results of the Perryman study at: http://www.baylor.edu/content/services/ ... 113758.pdf.

We also appreciate our local chambers of commerce and mayors – who have spoken publicly about how the Big 12 is good for our area and our state – as well as all those in the Baylor family who are taking decisive action to make sure the best interests of Baylor, Central Texas and the great State of Texas are represented and preserved as this process continues.

I urge you to visit the Baylor Nation website for more information about the discussions related to the Big 12 and to learn what you can do to support our university, our conference and our state: http://www.baylor.edu/nation/.

Ken Starr
Baylor President

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Sounds like the Texas government could put a big wrench in the gears of the PAC. Pretty sure that is why the PAC was so quick to invite Colorado so they could keep Baylor out. I can't believe that the PAC would put more importance on not having a religious school then they would on having Texas.

I for one am hoping that the Big 12 doesn't dissolve and that BYU somehow gets invited to that conference.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Screw Baylor! They screwed BYU or TCU out of the Big XII.

Any current BCS school deserves to whither and die for my entertainment.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BYUgrad03 wrote:I kind of feel bad for Baylor.
I don't, buncha creampuffs that depend on politicians to get them into good conferences instead of any athletic accomplishments.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,