MWC expansion options

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cscoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

MWC expansion options

Post by cscoug »

As Thompson said at the news conference, the MWC will try to be reactive and proactive at the same time. I see that shaking out in one of three ways:

1. Expand to 10

Before last weekend, this seemed inevitable. The MWC would invite BSU, and people would debate whether or not we would become a new BCS league.

2. Expand to 12

With the Big 12 appearing ready to fall apart, the MWC can go add some combination of three teams from the following list: BSU, Kansas, K-state, Baylor, and Iowa St. In the near future, I like this option the most, excluding the idea of adding Iowa St. They fit terribly geographically, and the other 4 all bring something to the table. I find Baylor to be the most suspect of the 4, and I live here in Texas. But I could buy the argument that they would further our recruiting efforts here. Besides, it would be nice to have BYU come here more often.

3. Expand to 16

This may be the inevitable option. If all the other conferences react to what the Pac 10 intends to do, the Big 10 and ACC will raid the Big East until it is extinct. The Big 10 will want more TV sets for its network and the ACC will respond to losing a handful of teams to the SEC, who decides they will go to 16 teams as well. The MWC will look to take BSU, Kansas, K-state, and Baylor along with 3 teams from the following list: Houston, Tulsa, Nevada, and Fresno St. College football will end up with 5 16-team conferences, and the MWC may still have to find a way to get a place at the BCS table that will now give automatic invites to the 4-team BCS national championship tournament.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: MWC expansion options

Post by scott715 »

Conference USA will try to pick up whatever scraps are left including the remaining Big East. There might be 6 conferences left. Also I think you have to add the rebuilding SMU to the potential list.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: MWC expansion options

Post by Y 4 Ever »

scott715 wrote:Conference USA will try to pick up whatever scraps are left including the remaining Big East. There might be 6 conferences left. Also I think you have to add the rebuilding SMU to the potential list.
Why SMU? We already have a tiny, christian, texas-based school. Why add another? i'd much rather see Houston than SMU. I'd rather see Tulsa, or Fresno, or even Nevada than SMU.