What should the MWC do now?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What should the MWC do now?

Post by stuckinbig10country »

How do they try to become relevent? Do they try and get the 5 leftovers from the Big XII, plus Boise, plus one more?

Do they add Boise only?

Do they disband and try a reformation pulling the best of the rest?

I'm tired of talking about what others are going to do. What are the presidents doing to keep their schools relevent?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: What should the MWC do now?

Post by Lawboy »

We should be on the phone with Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Missouri ad Boise State this second, and look ta forming a 14 team conference with 2 7 team divisions. Play the other 6 each year, plus 2 from the other division per year, and allow 4 OOC games. Would be a really good football conference, but an amazing hoops conference. And it makes sense for travel, traditions of the newcomers, gives us another Texas school, which is never bad, and adds Kansas City and St. Louis. unless Missouri still goes the way of the Big 10, which I see as likely now. Then, will need another add, perhaps Iowa State.

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

I think Craig Thompson mentioned something about becoming a 16 team conference if that is what the other conferences decide to do. So you take the MWC 9 and add the Big 5. Then add Boise to increase the athletic resume and add Houston to add that market and a traveling partner for TCU.
I'm not sure what the divisions would look like, North-South or East-West.

That would make the new MWC qualify for the 6th BCS conference by default and frankly that is the only way the Big 5 would ever join the MWC, if they had some guarantee that the MWC becomes the 6th BCS conference.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I'm afraid that the MWC will have to join this nuclear arms race. We might have to form a new conference with the 16 best football teams to keep up with the other 4 superconferences. I read that the PAC-16 wants two BCS bids one for each division and that they would not play a championship game. They hope to have two teams in the NCG.

YBrit
All-American

Post by YBrit »

I'm sick of watching crappy games during BYU week. I'm also sick of TCU baseball shows being aired during BYU week. I'm also sick of the mtn, airing Utah moments (2 first pick drafts) during BYU week.

Screw the MWC, BYU should leave just because of the hate we get all around. C'mon Texas stay there and add us.

twitter.com/Y4LYFE
Marsha's hiding in Lubbock, TX.

"We were boxed in and they weren't letting us breathe." -TH
blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

CannonCougar85 wrote:That would make the new MWC qualify for the 6th BCS conference by default and frankly that is the only way the Big 5 would ever join the MWC, if they had some guarantee that the MWC becomes the 6th BCS conference.
Wrong on this part. I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, if there are 4 super conferences the BCS will change to have only those 4 with 2 auto bids for each conference. This will open the door for the much talked about "playoff", they will take the top 2-4 teams from each super conference for the playoffs. This will keep the money in the BCS pockets and give them the ability to say they are now able to support a football playoff because that is what fans are calling for. The 6 conference BCS format will go by the wayside shutting out more effectively the rest of the non AQ conferences playing in any BCS bowl games or playoff games. This is what scares the crap out of Kansas, K State, Baylor Missouri etc, they will now be grouped with the have nots and not the haves.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I agree in part. It will not shut out the have notes, but will effectively group the biggest of them together to play for 1 spot at the haves table. Now, the MWC and Boise are going for spots. Together, they get 1 only. WIth a 16 team playoff, maybe 2 on occasion, which is where I see this going.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

The best MWC teams will get scooped up by the Big 12 name and form a 12-14 team conference. This is the only way to assure the remaining Big 12 schools maintain BCS status, and we're the best of the rest that they will get to choose from. Naturally, you add Boise and another big market school (Houston) to capture a desired TV market as well.

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

blue42 wrote:
CannonCougar85 wrote:That would make the new MWC qualify for the 6th BCS conference by default and frankly that is the only way the Big 5 would ever join the MWC, if they had some guarantee that the MWC becomes the 6th BCS conference.
Wrong on this part. I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, if there are 4 super conferences the BCS will change to have only those 4 with 2 auto bids for each conference. This will open the door for the much talked about "playoff", they will take the top 2-4 teams from each super conference for the playoffs. This will keep the money in the BCS pockets and give them the ability to say they are now able to support a football playoff because that is what fans are calling for. The 6 conference BCS format will go by the wayside shutting out more effectively the rest of the non AQ conferences playing in any BCS bowl games or playoff games. This is what scares the crap out of Kansas, K State, Baylor Missouri etc, they will now be grouped with the have nots and not the haves.
This is also a good possibility. The BCS making it even more exclusive and hiding behind the "But a playoff is what you wanted" spin.

But as it is set up right now the MWC would move into that 6th BCS spot if the Big 12 were to dissolve.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

BSC rules require that you have at least 6 teams in that conference who have been together for at least 5 years. With only 4 or 5 Big 12 schools left, that means that the Big 12 would need to add 6 MWC teams who would meet that criteria, and perhaps BSU, and even then it might not work. But I guarantee that it is being looked at as an option. Plus, teh Big 12 brand is much stronger than the MWC brand, so makes sense to align that way, not have a crap TV deal, and allow you to leave some dead weight behind. And I am talking to UNLV, SDSU, Wyoming and UNM.