Should the MWC Vote to Add Boise State on Monday?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Should the MWC vote to add Boise State on Monday?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 28

CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Should the MWC Vote to Add Boise State on Monday?

Post by CougarPeasant »

I'm still anti BSU joining the MWC unless it guarantees AQ status for the conference. It's still against BSU's best interest to join the MWC since they have such an easy road to a BCS bowl game by staying in the WAC. Unless of course they are bored there and really want to beef up their conference schedule. They add no additional revenue or market share. And what happens when Peterson leaves? How many will want to kick out BSU when they fall on hard times? All programs do at one time or another.

If there is a move towards super conferences, then by all means, get them in while the gettin' is good. A 12-16 team super MWC would be in the mix on the NC scene as by then there will likely be 3-4 other super conferences as well. And yes, that would likely include KU, KSU Baylor, ISU, Houston, BSU and Tulsa/or SJSU.

But if it's inevitable that BSU will be added to the MWC and BYU is staying, then I might as well relax and enjoy it.

gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by gmj81 »

I also agree that the road to the BCS would be much easier from their WAC perch. That said, the revenue would be at least a couple million more from the MWC than from the WAC. There was an article on that just recently here: http://cougarfan.com/article.asp?ArtID= ... lions.html

And while adding BSU may not guarantee BCS inclusion, it certainly makes it increasingly more difficult for the "haves" to dismiss the "have-nots" when we keep dismissing every excuse they seem to come up with. I have no doubt they'll find something new excuse when the strength of the MWC exceeds that of that of some of the lesser BCS conferences (I'd argue that it already has but some still claim that they're even at best). Also, the west is one of the only parts of the country that continues to grow, and it seems like Utah, Nevada, and Idaho have been the some of the biggest beneficiaries of this migration lately and that trend only looks to continue.

I have been on the fence for awhile about adding BSU and leaning towards not extending the invitation. I don't mind the team really but don't really care for their fans. I also think that Coach Peterson is a classy guy and not going anywhere anytime soon. I don't think that it's lost on him that the success of his predecessors hasn't followed them to their new lofty BCS gigs, most of which are out of work presently. He's now making more money than any of them ever made at BSU and is practically guaranteed his job there as long as he wants to coach or stay. But given the current TV deal still has so much life, the only possible way they could add revenue is if the conference gets AQ-status. Otherwise, they just cut another slice out of our already humble pie. Seeing as how BCS inclusion is no guarantee, I've been hesitant about the invite as I don't care much for the uneven conference home and road game scenario it presents. But one other positive that might come out of it if they don't get inclusion is continued heat on the BCS system which the majority of the country agrees has got to go. Only problem is the decision-makers are the ones lining their pockets from all the money it brings in.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

If you are one of the bottom 6 in the MWC, the answer is yes. With the horizon looking as if Utah might be gone, and if things break the wrong way (o right way, depending on perspective), you need that 3rd team to keep the conference in the mix to earn more easy $$$ off of. So it all comes down to how BYU, Utah and TCU vote. If those schools plan on staying, you vote no for now. If leaving, who cares, right?

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

craigoscarson wrote: Kansas and Kansas State would rather die than go to what they see as an inferior conference
There was a Kansas newspaper article yesterday that specifically said Kansas/KSU may need to join the MWC someday soon. Which is crazy to actually read in their local paper!

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

The Daily Universe is running this same poll right now: http://universe.byu.edu/node/8892

Only 7% are saying "No". BYU continues to be the biggest Boise State supporter.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars