Texas: Conference Affiliation Poll

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

If you are Texas, what do you do?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 pm

-Join the Big Ten?
9%
-Join the PAC-10?
No votes
-Join the SEC?
4%
-Stay in the Big XII?
87%

Total votes: 23

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Texas: Conference Affiliation Poll

Post by Mars »

If you are Texas, what do you do?

-Join the Big Ten?
-Join the PAC-10?
-Join the SEC?
-Stay in the Big XII?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Re: Texas: Conference Affiliation Poll

Post by Schmoe »

Most people have the Big XII as the second best football conference and the PAC somewhere in the bottom half of the big six. I don't know why Texas would go anywhere.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

Tough question, and hard to say without some figures. (namely, $$$) However, ignoring the $$$ issue, if you're Texas you want one thing: national championships. Texas has been able to play in 2 championship games in the BCS era, and the Big XII has been able to play in another 5, making a total of 7. The PAC-10 has played in 2, and schools not named USC have played in 0. The Big Ten has played in 3, and schools not named Ohio State have played in 0. Texas would have to consider whether their new conference would be easier to win (most likely, unless other teams from the Big XII follow them), and whether their strength of schedule would be enough to help them stay in the top 2 when there are multiple undefeated teams. I have to think that if you have 1 school in every BCS conference that is undefeated, the two that are going to get the nod for the title game are the SEC champ and the Big XII champ, unless one of the other teams actually grew a pair and played a decent OOC schedule during the season.

In conclusion, (money aside, of course) I think Texas going alone or with Missou, Nebraska, or A&M to the Big Ten doesn't happen. Texas going along with 5 other Big XII teams to the PAC-10 could, because the PAC-10 would be stronger conference top to bottom. However, the WAC showed us in the 90's that 16 team conferences are a bit unwieldy in football. It would be extremely difficult for a PAC-10 raid on the Big XII to result in a conference with balanced divisions that still preserved the Longhorns' traditional rivalries. So I think they stay put, unless the other 5 say, "We're leaving without you if you stay."

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

This is my shot in the dark. Texas is trying to keep the bi12 together where it is king. nebraska and missouri are threatening to leave if they don't get more power and money. big 12 and pac10 are discussing a joint tv deal that will bring in tons of money and avoid them having to expand. nebraska and missou are the only cogs in that wheel that are stopping this with their threats of leaving. so pac10 and texas leak this bogus story to try and get leverage given that if they go through with it, nebraksa and missouri and left out in the dark and their bargaining position with the big10 becomes zero.

the more i see and here the more i think things are not going to change much.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

jonnylingo wrote:This is my shot in the dark. Texas is trying to keep the bi12 together where it is king. nebraska and missouri are threatening to leave if they don't get more power and money. big 12 and pac10 are discussing a joint tv deal that will bring in tons of money and avoid them having to expand. nebraska and missou are the only cogs in that wheel that are stopping this with their threats of leaving. so pac10 and texas leak this bogus story to try and get leverage given that if they go through with it, nebraksa and missouri and left out in the dark and their bargaining position with the big10 becomes zero.

I do not think the 6 Big 12 schools are seriously considering the PAC10 offer. I do think some schools (Missou and Nebraska) are considering the Big 12 offers, and colorado might already be jumping to the PAC10. So the discussions are on keeping those 3 schools, or what to do if they leave. I do not see why Texas leaves, nor OU. No reason for them to, for any sport. They do not need the PAC 10.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The few Texas fans I have talked to this morning really could care less. Their perspective is this--it gets them TV money, and all of the rivalries they care about would stay intact, because if Texas goes, you can be sure that the others will follow. A PAC-16 with Texas is more attractive, even to OU, than a Big-XII without Texas.

There's no reason to think Texas wouldn't enjoy the same success in the new PAC, so it really just comes down the tradition, logistics and money. They think the tradition will follow Texas into the PAC, and that money will cure logistical worries.

On the other hand, all the Baylor people are freaking out.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Lawboy wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:This is my shot in the dark. Texas is trying to keep the bi12 together where it is king. nebraska and missouri are threatening to leave if they don't get more power and money. big 12 and pac10 are discussing a joint tv deal that will bring in tons of money and avoid them having to expand. nebraska and missou are the only cogs in that wheel that are stopping this with their threats of leaving. so pac10 and texas leak this bogus story to try and get leverage given that if they go through with it, nebraksa and missouri and left out in the dark and their bargaining position with the big10 becomes zero.

I do not think the 6 Big 12 schools are seriously considering the PAC10 offer. I do think some schools (Missou and Nebraska) are considering the Big 12 offers, and colorado might already be jumping to the PAC10. So the discussions are on keeping those 3 schools, or what to do if they leave. I do not see why Texas leaves, nor OU. No reason for them to, for any sport. They do not need the PAC 10.
How about doubling their yearly income from 10 to 20 million? That is a pretty good reason. it may not be being considered seriously right now but it looks more and more like a serious option if you look at how the big12 meeting went this week. No consensus, meetings went over, canceled presser at the end. I don't think ANYTHIGN is a done deal at this point. People are still jockeying. But this is probably what the cal guy was referring to as 'revolutionizing' college football.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Yeah, but Texas was also looking at its own network, which would increase their revenue even more than that, and would then be an issue for talks with the PAC10 and SEC. Texas does not need to move to get more money. And add to it that Texas is already the #1 revenue earner in college athletics while in the Big 12 with a horrible TV deal, again, do not see why they would have to move. The Big 12 could work a better TV presence and improve things fast. But I suspect Texas will get its own network first.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

The money is with the Big 10. I think that would be their best bet to actually improve on their status. They could make more money in a conference they could continue to dominate-even moreso than they have in the Big-12, plus they open pretty big recruiting markets like Ohio, Penn, Michigan, and a decent state in Illinois. It doesn't get them into the two "big" states of Cal or Fla or into Ga or LA but they still have a much greater chance of making it to the NC winning the B-10 than they would winning the P-0. As for USC-stick a fork in 'em they're done! As for joining the SEC, winning the SEC title game would be more difficult than winning the NC title game. Figuring that you play in the SEC title game 10 times and the NC ten times, which would seem more difficult to win or in other words which would you come out of having a better winning percentage? My guess would be the NC game, (place blue goggles on face), especially since teams from the MWC have virtually no chance of making the NC game so they would have to settle for a team from a weaker conference like the P-0 or Big oh n ten. I don't think the BigLeast or the ACusedtobe even smell a title game since they have no fans left and they lose every year to FCS teams. So my conclusion is that if they jump, it should be where the money is and the NC title game is almost assured.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Email accounts have come out about chats between Gordon Gee, who is LDS, and the Pres of tOSU and the Pres at Texas. Sounds as if the sticking point to Texas joining the Big 12 is TTech. They will probably not be able to jump without them, and the Big 12 does not want them.

The more I read, the more I believe Texas stays, the Big 12 has 2-3 changes, and it stays in existence. I suspect Missouri might be it, and go toe the Big 12. Latest talk is that Nebraska will not be offered. So perhaps Colorado goes to the PAC. That leaves 2 holes to fill, and will reports being that the Texas schools have no desire to add another Texas school to the conference, I suspect BYU will be high on that list, along with another MWC team.