Unga Story Might Not Be Over

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Italics
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Unga Story Might Not Be Over

Post by Italics »

Metal Bubba wrote:
urroner wrote:
Mars wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
Mars wrote: I was told that Harvey and his girlfriend decided to temporarily leave school after receiving advice in a meeting with their BYU ward bishop about getting married.
Who told you that? Was it a rock that you found that talks to you?
Was Harvey engaged to a rock? :lol:
Harvey needs to give the lady a rock. :love: :love:
I think Harvey gave her a rock. That's how this all began.
win.

PS - do you ever listen to Rhapsody (the band)?

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

snoscythe wrote:NOTE--if you don't believe something without a substantiating link, stop reading here--I don't have a corroborating source...yet.

I was talking to a friend who plays at USU but who does conditioning etc work with several BYU guys and was in town this morning for the Memorial Day weekend to visit family. According to him, Harvey got word on Friday that the door is still open to let him come back. Considering the less-than-official announcements that Harvey couldn't get back, I wonder if there isn't still a possibility that Harvey returns?
If the supplemental draft comes and goes without Harvey declaring then I would start believing that there may be something here. This book will be closed by mid July either way.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Are there NFL restrctions from preventing Unga from signing as a free agent right now? To me, wouldn't it make more sense to get in camp with a team, start bonding with the team, start learning the playbook, etc. than waiting until the end of the summer to get with a team.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

kitic77 wrote:Are there NFL restrctions from preventing Unga from signing as a free agent right now? To me, wouldn't it make more sense to get in camp with a team, start bonding with the team, start learning the playbook, etc. than waiting until the end of the summer to get with a team.
Your first year out of school, I believe you have two options--(1) get drafted, or (2) sign as an undrafted free agent. An "undrafted free agent" is someone who was eligible and declared for the draft and went unselected. Unga did not declare for the April draft, but he is eligible for the Supplemental Draft as there has been an unforeseen change in circumstances since the deadline for April draft. So, if Harvey wants to sign a UFA contract this summer, he has to have his name in the supplemental draft. Otherwise, he has to wait a year from his last college game to sign a regular FA contract.

At least that is my understanding of the CBA rules on new entrants to the league.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

So after the supplemental draft - provided he applies for it, if he goes undrafted in it, he could sign with a team.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

kitic77 wrote:So after the supplemental draft - provided he applies for it, if he goes undrafted in it, he could sign with a team.
Yes. But if he doesn't declare for the supplemental draft, the earliest he could sign would be the open of free agency after this upcoming season.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:
kitic77 wrote:So after the supplemental draft - provided he applies for it, if he goes undrafted in it, he could sign with a team.
Yes. But if he doesn't declare for the supplemental draft, the earliest he could sign would be the open of free agency after this upcoming season.
Could he enter next years draft, albeit without playing another down of college football between now and then? I'm assuming so, but it would be a big gamble.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Could he enter next years draft, albeit without playing another down of college football between now and then? I'm assuming so, but it would be a big gamble.
Actually, the more I look at it, it appears that you must enter the NFL via a draft--either by being drafted or being in the pool. I don't know if Clarret and Williams were forced to enter the 2005 draft because they weren't eligible for either of the 2004 drafts, or if they simply had to be in a draft before they could sign a FA contract of any sort. In any event, Harvey can't hook-up with a team until next Spring, whether it be through free-agency or the draft.

Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

snoscythe wrote:NOTE--if you don't believe something without a substantiating link, stop reading here--I don't have a corroborating source...yet.

I was talking to a friend who plays at USU but who does conditioning etc work with several BYU guys and was in town this morning for the Memorial Day weekend to visit family. According to him, Harvey got word on Friday that the door is still open to let him come back. Considering the less-than-official announcements that Harvey couldn't get back, I wonder if there isn't still a possibility that Harvey returns?
Sno...we're all just getting over our "mourning" period, and then you have to go pour salt into the wound! Just let us all assume he's gone until/unless we see him standing in the backfield on opening day.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Mars wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
Mars wrote: I was told that Harvey and his girlfriend decided to temporarily leave school after receiving advice in a meeting with their BYU ward bishop about getting married.
Who told you that? Was it a rock that you found that talks to you?
Was Harvey engaged to a rock? :lol:

Ouch!!!!!
;)