Top Ten MWC OOC games

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BigCougsFan
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Top Ten MWC OOC games

Post by BigCougsFan »

Here is each school's OOC opponents.

Air Force:
@Army
Navy
@Oklahoma
NW St.(?)

Brigham Young
Washington
@Florida St.
Nevada
@Utah St.

Colorado St.
Colorado
@Nevada
@Miami(Ohio)
Idaho

New Mexico
@Oregon
Texas Tech
UTEP
@New Mexico St.

San Diego St.
Nich(?)
@New Mexico St.
@Missouri
Utah St.

TCU
Oregon St.(in Dallas Cowboys stadium)
Tn Tech
Baylor
@SMU

UNLV
Wisconsin
@Idaho
Nevada
@West Virginia

Utah
Pitt
San Jose St.
@Iowa St.
@Notre Dame

Wyoming
Southern Utah
@Texas
Boise St.
@Toledo

10. Colorado St. vs. Colorado
9. Wyoming @ Texas
8. San Diego St. @ Missouri
7. New Mexico @ Oregon
6. UNLV @ West Virginia
5. BYU vs. Washington
4. BYU @ Florida St.
3. Utah @ Notre Dame
2. Air Force @ Oklahoma
1. TCU vs. Oregon St.

TCU has the most to lose this year if they lose one game, that's why I picked them for the #1 game.
What is your top ten???

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Top Ten MWC OOC games

Post by Cougarbib »

U rankin the Top 10 most impressive opponents or the Top 10 most interesting games.

Your List
10. Colorado St. vs. Colorado - boring but a reasonble matchup. These are just 2 boring teams.
9. Wyoming @ Texas - Shoot the Wyoming AD - this is the kind of game that will keep the MWC from getting AQ status.
8. San Diego St. @ Missouri - Shoot the SDSU AD - see Wyoming
7. New Mexico @ Oregon - Shoot the NM AD - see above
6. UNLV @ West Virginia - Shoot the UNLV AD too - another rollover game for the MWC.
5. BYU vs. Washington - great matchup most years - BYU might be a bit off this year though. I would rather start with a confidence builder this year.
4. BYU @ Florida St. - Shoot the BYU AD - never schedule games 3 time zones away unless u can go stay there 2 weeks and get over the jet lag b4 the game.
3. Utah @ Notre Dame - Utes over reached and will pay for the mistake - shoot the Utah AD too. Play these kinds of teams in the BCS Bowl games when it matters most.
2. Air Force @ Oklahoma - BYU was nuts 4 taking the risk last year - even though it worked out OK. AFA shoudl have picked someone in 2010 they could crap kick and they would be ranked at seson end with ony 1 or 2 conference osses and no ooc losses other than maybe Navy. AFA Vs Navy should be a very interesting game.
1. TCU vs. Oregon St. - NICE - a bit of a risk - but TCU has the best chance this year of winning this type of game.

The MWC should be playing the game being played until the AQ is in the bag.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

Cougarbib2 wrote:4. BYU @ Florida St. - Shoot the BYU AD - never schedule games 3 time zones away unless u can go stay there 2 weeks and get over the jet lag b4 the game.
Nothing like living in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Now I know why my house is being flooded. :bug:

Pssst, we're only two time zones away. ;)

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

We get confused out here in Hawaii, which does not do Daylight Saving TIme. So right now LA is 3 hours aheado me, but in the fall it will only be 2 hours. I still think of myself as being in LA where I lived most of my adult life and that is my reference to the 3 time zones - as a fan - I would rarely if ever - be able to travel that far let alone from Hawaii. ANyway sme time zone or at most 1 time zone away seems plenty fr to go if u don't want jet lagged players.

Nice catch - but on the ocean thing - I have always thought UH should play all of their games on an aircraft carrier halfway between Hawaii and the home of their opponents to make things a bit more fair for everyone - UH and the opponent.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

Cougarbib2 wrote:Nice catch - but on the ocean thing - I have always thought UH should play all of their games on an aircraft carrier halfway between Hawaii and the home of their opponents to make things a bit more fair for everyone - UH and the opponent.
Ha, things so mysterious and esoteric that I could never understand when I was but a wee lad is slowly being revealed to me. I never could understand this video, but now I think the light has dawned upon me.

[youtube]InBXu-iY7cw[/youtube]

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

Cougarbib2 wrote: Your List
10. Colorado St. vs. Colorado - boring but a reasonble matchup. These are just 2 boring teams.
9. Wyoming @ Texas - Shoot the Wyoming AD - this is the kind of game that will keep the MWC from getting AQ status.
6. UNLV @ West Virginia - Shoot the UNLV AD too - another rollover game for the MWC.
5. BYU vs. Washington - great matchup most years - BYU might be a bit off this year though. I would rather start with a confidence builder this year.
4. BYU @ Florida St. - Shoot the BYU AD - never schedule games 3 time zones away unless u can go stay there 2 weeks and get over the jet lag b4 the game.
3. Utah @ Notre Dame - Utes over reached and will pay for the mistake - shoot the Utah AD too. Play these kinds of teams in the BCS Bowl games when it matters most.
2. Air Force @ Oklahoma - BYU was nuts 4 taking the risk last year - even though it worked out OK. AFA shoudl have picked someone in 2010 they could crap kick and they would be ranked at seson end with ony 1 or 2 conference osses and no ooc losses other than maybe Navy. AFA Vs Navy should be a very interesting game.
1. TCU vs. Oregon St. - NICE - a bit of a risk - but TCU has the best chance this year of winning this type of game.
So basically we should just shoot all our AD's for scheduling games with AQ status. One to many coconuts have hit your head.
TCU vs. Oregon St. - NICE - a bit of a risk - but TCU has the best chance this year of winning this type of game
Really... A risk??? I would bet TCU would beat Oregon St. 9 out of 10 times.
Then you might as well call us the WAC, Conf-USA, etc... How do you think we earned our current status??? Not by playing crap teams.

Keep up your optimistic views... They're crap! So what you should do is write them all down -- put it in a bottle -- cork it -- and toss is in the ocean in your backyard, so someone in the future will find it, and they will learn from your such awesome wisdom. That way you can touch all walks of life.

I toss out my opinion of the top ten MWC OCC games and you got something to rip into, but funny thing is... I didn't see your list. What's yours???

QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt

Post by QuarterbackU »

Cougarbib2 wrote:U rankin the Top 10 most impressive opponents or the Top 10 most interesting games.

Your List

Are you being serious Cougarbib? Really? I don't know where to begin on this one. BYU was absolutely "nuts" to play Oklahoma last year? I'm not even going to get started.

I like the list but I think utah playing Pitt is a huge game and I believe SDSU is playing Michigan at the Big House. If that is true, then it is an excellent game for the MWC to schedule, very winnable. I'm a bit worried about Nevada for BYU, they are just a scrappy team sometimes. Also, Utah is not overreaching at all by playing Notre Dame, it is as if the planets have aligned for them. Notre Dame has a new coaching staff and new OC so this is a very risky game for Notre Dame, not Utah. Utah will win that game, just like they went in and beat the crap out of Michigan two years ago with Brian Johnson when Michigan was debuting their new OC and Head Coaches.

The crazy thing about Wyoming, is that they will be in that game with Texas until the 3rd quarter. Wyoming is fearless and that's what I love about them. As a result of having an "AD who needs to be shot" our MWC teams have got some huge wins over the last 10 years.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Cougarbib2 wrote:U rankin the Top 10 most impressive opponents or the Top 10 most interesting games.

Your List

Geez, man... negative much?

1.TCU will SLAUGHTER OSU. Not only is it in their backyard but OSU lost their starting QB last year while TCU returns theirs.
2. You called BYU nuts for scheduling OU but apparently we (the MWC) is much closer than you give them credit for. Texas realized they can't just show up and expect to win, even in Laramie. And now is as good a time as any to play OU given the losses they sustained from last year.
3. Yeah, because everybody always gives credit to the non-AQ for their BCS wins. ND sucked last year. What's more, they lost the biggest things they had going for them for a potential improvement this season (Clausen and Tate). Throw in a new QB and a new HC and they'll be back to a sub .500 team in 2010. As much as a I hate to say this, the pukes will walk out of South Bend with this one. I'm so sick of their scheduling luck lately, always catching teams when they are down (Michigan, ND, etc.)
4. Yeah, it's nice that the SEC never has to stray from the borders of their own conference (some schools never even from their own state but once or twice a year) but most other conferences don't have that luxury. And when you have the difficulty scheduling that BYU does, you take whatever "respect" game you can get. Bronco will have the boys ready for this game after last year's embarrassment in LES. I'm guessing this is going to be the "OU" game of the year that is worked on all offseason.
5. Everyone would rather start with a softie but I seem to recall that you have also been antagonistic of BYU in the past for scheduling too soft. If you want to play with the big boys, might as well start things off with a bang. Bronco has proven to be able to be very effective at preparing for home openers and big games (including revenge games) the last few years (Zona, UCLA, OU. And I still don't get why everyone thinks the Huskies are going to make some kind of quantum leap in improvement here to be able to pull off a shocker at LES. We got a shocker from the Criminoles last year... I don't think Bronco will let it happen two years in a row.
6. New HC for UNLV but even a close loss will go a long way in showing the MWC is better than the Big East. UNLV is one of the worst in the MWC, WV one of the best in the Big East. I'm glad we are finally getting some opportunities to go head-to-head with them to show we the superior conference. Whitt and Hauk better realize they are playing for the whole conference in those games against Pitt and WV.
7... whatever
8... whatever
9. See #2 above. Because putting a scare into the eventual national championship game loser is such a horrible idea.
10. Don't forget CSU actually won last year, despite CU's better athletes and BCS money. You'd expect even the bottom of the Big XII to be able to beat the worst place team in the MWC. But clearly we are nowhere even close to being able to compete with these BCS conferences (tic).

Clearly if we had it your way, we'd never take any chances at all and schedule all D1aa teams. Please try and remember that most schedules are made years in advance when you have to project where your teams is going to be at and where the other team is going to be at. There are also other factors to remember. Sometimes you sacrifice an loss one year to get that upset the next. Sometimes athletic departments have bills to pay and staying in the black often means more than an extra loss or two here or there. And most importantly, sometimes you have to bring in the best competition in order to be able to sell tickets and get fans excited when you're not that good yourself. For instance, every NBA arena use to sell sell out whenever MJ and the Bulls came to town because the fans want to see the best. Everyone can appreciate watching an impressive athletic performance, even if it is by the team opposing your own.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

People always rip the MWC for how weak it's bottom teams are, but over the last couple years, they've beaten quite a few of the bottom teams in AQ conferences.

Case in point: Wyoming beat Tennessee, CSU beat Colorado, UNLV beat Arizona St and UNM beat Arizona. Our four worst teams beat teams from 3 AQ conferences, and it's not like those happened very long ago, CSU was last year and UNLV and UNM were in '08

Yes, the MWC bottom feeders consistently suck, but it looks to me like they're just as good as the bottom feeders from any other conference (including the all powerful SEC and Big-12)

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

I like Utah's schedule a lot...very ballsy even if the teams aren't great. College football is all about names and beating those 2 teams would look excellent for the conference.